Confirmed with Link: Pierre-Luc Dubois signs - 2 years, $10 mil ($3.5/$6.5)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Folks, let's hold off on the politics speculation unless it gets explicitly sourced; there's a lot of unsourced claims that have gone on in that direction and they're becoming troublesome. Thanks.

Reactions: Vegeta and MissADD

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
If I’m Jarmo, I tell PLD he’s here for 4 yrs , and if he plays his butt off , plays in the dominant fashion he occasionally shows , but on a consistent basis , only then will I seriously entertain offers . Bottom line , we hold the leverage , work your butt off , to ensure we get the best return possible , and only then will I look into accommodating your request
And if he plays like crap we keep a liability for 4 years ?

It’s better for both sides if he plays good, his trade value will remain high.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Torts explicitly said he had no idea why PLD wants out.

PLD was professional at the opening camp presser and said he wanted to keep talks between him, his agent, and the front office private. He never said he's requested a trade.

But he already wanted out?

The player himself never confirmed that. Torts broke that trust.

Reactions: Lurch

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I, for one, can't imagine why a guy would want out when his coach blabs to the media and reveals talks he explicitly said he wanted to keep "private." Can't imagine why at all.

IMO, if he hasn't even told his teammates why he wants out, F' him. If they want to try to keep that out of the public so be it but they deserve to know. Torts didn't reveal anything other than the truth and it's not like Torts revealed he wants out. We already knew that.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
PLD was professional at the opening camp presser and said he wanted to keep talks between him, his agent, and the front office private. He never said he's requested a trade.

The player himself never confirmed that. Torts broke that trust.

So blame Pierre Lebrun for making it public knowledge. It's not like Torts broke the news.

Reactions: CPTN71

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I think I have the full list of possible reasons why (currently being floated around by fans, at least)

1) The political leanings of his teammates
2) Torts is his coach
3) Jarmo is a hard ass GM / ownership is cheap
4) Columbus isn't a big enough stage for him
5) He just really wants to play in Canada, namely Montreal

That about cover it?

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
I know the knee jerk reaction is to look at what PLD’s issue is be it Torts, contract negotiations, the city, budget, teammates, etc. I’m guilty of this.

But what if it’s none of that and the real problem with PLD is PLD?

I mean the guy just bought a place here in August, has a primo role on this team, a GM that shocked the hockey world to get him because he really believed in him — and now, suddenly, wants out and won’t tell anyone why. Torts is puzzled. Teammates are in the dark. Guys like Friedman have no clue.

This is just so out of the blue and unprecedented for such a high draft pick coming out of entry status (even for the Jackets) that something might be going on upstairs with this guy. I mean he’s even quoted in his training camp interview as saying something along the lines of “what’s in my head is in my head.”

It’s like he’s having his mid-life crisis at 22!

I’m probably overthinking it but given all the bullshit 2020 had to offer he certainly wouldn’t be alone in the life assessment department.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think I have the full list of possible reasons why (currently being floated around by fans, at least)

1) The political leanings of his teammates
2) Torts is his coach
3) Jarmo is a hard ass GM / ownership is cheap
4) Columbus isn't a big enough stage for him
5) He just really wants to play in Canada, namely Montreal

That about cover it?

If you're going to list #1 we can probably come up with another dozen equally implausible reasons.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I know the knee jerk reaction is to look at what PLD’s issue is be it Torts, contract negotiations, the city, budget, teammates, etc. I’m guilty of this.

But what if it’s none of that and the real problem with PLD is PLD?

I mean the guy just bought a place here in August, has a primo role on this team, a GM that shocked the hockey world to get him because he really believed in him — and now, suddenly, wants out and won’t tell anyone why. Torts is puzzled. Teammates are in the dark. Guys like Friedman have no clue.

This is just so out of the blue and unprecedented for such a high draft pick coming out of entry stratus (even for the Jackets) that something might be going on upstairs with this guy. I mean he’s even quoted in his training camp interview as saying something along the lines of “what’s in my head is in my head.”

It’s like he’s having his mid-life crisis at 22!

I’m probably overthinking it but given all the bullshit 2020 had to offer he certainly wouldn’t be alone in the life assessment department.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
It's a coach issue, if you ask me. Can PLD wait it out if Torts is gone after this season?

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Can listen to the Torts (Hockey & Hounds) interview here:

Some real honesty from Torts there and I don't blame Torts one bit for feeling that way. But it does make me lean towards a trade sooner than later.

Torts sounds like Bobby Knight in this interview . Clearly it’s the main issue . PLD comes across as a soft spoken kid , Torts believe conflict is being honest . If your Jarmo , you can’t side with the player , or you lose the room . Having said that , if PLD isn’t traded during season , Torts is probably let go , barring a trip to the eastern Finals . Even if Torts is the issue , I’ve lost all respect for PLD

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
This is how rumors get started in the real world. The places peoples heads go is pretty amazing

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Torts can be a real dickhead.

His "style" gets him fired from every stop. Even his guy Brad Richards turned on him in NY

That said, if the imposter pld (im the real PLD) has an issue with the coach, say it.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
This might be Torts's last year anyway. But even if it's not, it's not like he's Woody Hayes or Bobby Knight or even 2005 (or 2014...) John Tortorella (or, for a more recent hockey example, Bill Peters). He's a little rough around the edges at times and can be blunt and a bit of a hardass. Big deal.

I could maybe see Torts impacting UFAs (primarily potential incoming UFAs that choose not to sign here). But if PLD wants out because of Torts when he's coming off his ELC after buying a place here and being a member of a good team and a solid organization that believed in him and put him in great position to develop and succeed, he is not mentally tough, and I don't want him on this team. And no, I'm not kidding.

But I honestly don't think that's the reason. Or maybe it's the cherry on top, but not the primary reason. What is that primary reason, I don't know. But it's very bizarre.

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
this sucks :( columbus is my favorite american team love the cannon lol. its really not fair all the stars keep leaving columbus.. now a 22 year old kid... doesn't look good on him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad