TSN Radio Pierre LeBrun: Jonathan Bernier will be as good as Carey Price (2011 version).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penalty Kill Icing*

he was a liability and kostka sucks... however obyrne was a good Dman.... now u can say the defence sucks but thats not true lmao.... like the other teams would get 40 shots and we would be pinned in our own end a lot because of rebounds.... Reimer will get better with the acquisition of bernier not worse... whoever wins gives us solid goaltending for a decade.. im happy with whats going on in leaf land but i believe Bernier will take this opportunity and run with it.

OByrne was never a good acquisition. Never. Heck, Avs whose defense was bottom 3 for good time of last season; even their fans were happy to get something in return for OByrne.

The fact that he is now in KHL just further proves my point. Nothing but a liability. Never liked him, and he never gave me a reason to like him either.

As far as getting pinned in our zone is concerned, goaltender can only allow so many rebounds. At some point, one has to question the defense in front of him.

Either way, I will be equally happy with whichever goalie wins it in the end.

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
I specifically recall talk about how Mr. Reimer was underwhelming in training camp and practice last season. I was irate when Carlyle started Scrivens. Could it have been rust? I don't know but if management were to truly have confidence in the tenders we would not have had made the trade for Bernier.

Why otherwise would the golden goalie who led us to the playoffs have such drama surrounding him? I stand by the position that James is a journeyman, a perfect backup but he isn't the goalie that will out duel Tukka Rask.

His numbers over the first 100+ games of his career suggest otherwise. Reimer is a great goaltender.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
#TeamReimer Stat of the Day:

Career vs. Atlantic Opponents:

J.Bernier: 10gms, 1-6-0, 0so, 3.83gaa, .866sv%
J.Reimer: 45gms, 24-16-3, 5so, 2.71gaa, .918sv%

#TeamReimer

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place

#TeamReimer

Why are you trying to start a goaltending controversy?

Why do you choose sides when both goalies play for the same team?

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's

#TeamReimer

Are you going to be beating this drum all season or is this just a temporary phase?

You keep saying you want nothing more than for Bernier to take the #1 role but you're hellbent on painting him negatively or sticking up for Reimer in EVERY THREAD.

Please answer truthfully so I can make the decision on whether to ignore you or not. Because this has gotten ridiculous now.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Are you going to be beating this drum all season or is this just a temporary phase?

You keep saying you want nothing more than for Bernier to take the #1 role but you're hellbent on painting him negatively or sticking up for Reimer in EVERY THREAD.

Please answer truthfully so I can make the decision on whether to ignore you or not. Because this has gotten ridiculous now.
Good question. Just screwing around in the preseason is fine, but if this choosing sides thing is going to continue on the ignore list might be getting workout this year.

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Why the **** do we need to choose sides? We have two very good young goaltenders. It feels good to know that we don't have to worry about who is starting which or what game. We have two guys that will give us a chance to win on a game to game basis.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Why the **** do we need to choose sides? We have two very good young goaltenders. It feels good to know that we don't have to worry about who is starting which or what game. We have two guys that will give us a chance to win on a game to game basis.

This. This is nothing but good for our team.

Arctic_Hab_Fan

May 28, 2007
Bernier as good as Price? That's not saying much, Price has been underwhelming to say the least. What's with all the love affair with Price, I just don't get it.

legendinblue

NHL in Seattle
Apr 30, 2011
Seattle/Europe

Because it's apparently a cool thing to do? I don't know.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Bernier as good as Price? That's not saying much, Price has been underwhelming to say the least. What's with all the love affair with Price, I just don't get it.

I think it's in respect to skill and ability, not results. A player can have the best tools among his peers, but other factors lend to a players success and ability to produce results that his talent suggests that he should produce. Things like a players ability to stay healthy, bounce back from poor performances, battle even when you're having an off day....all of those things require traits beyond just skill in order to be successful.

spidergoalie

Aug 9, 2009
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Oh look! Leaf fans are divided in goalie loyalty!!!:amazed: In other news water continues to be wet. :laugh:

Since I"ve been on this board we've had heated debates on :
Toskala vs Gus (yes there were some ardent Toskala supporters)
Giguere vs Gus (I was an ardent Jiggy supporter...still am actually)
Giguere vs Reimer vs Gus
Reimer vs Gus
Reimer vs Scrivens

Every season there are heated debates, and there was never any question this season would be another.
I don't think there is anything wrong with loyalty to a favorite player, it is just unfortunate when people twist facts and reality to put down a Leaf goalie in order to build up their favorite.

I like Reimer a lot both in terms of style of play and personality and I kind of hope he hangs on to #1, but there is nothing remotely unlikeable about Bernier, and there is no debate he is a huge upgrade over Scrivens. I wanted a veteran back-up for Reims, but if Bernier out plays Reimer, more power to him!

Bernier will win the PR battle. Reimer has his "awe shucks" charm, but he is a blocking goalie who is not very exciting, and the style makes him look worse when he allows a goal. (this is a big part of why so many fans preferred Gus and save selection histrionics, he looked heroic in losses)

Bernier is a flashier, smoother goalie and has a nice style to watch. He already got in a fight which as pointless as goalie fights are, will win him many instant fans. Really that fight was a brilliant PR move on his part! He also threw in a pad stack tonight, and fans love them a pad stack!
Plus he is a good looking guy, so he will have more female fans.

Really there is nothing not to like with him, so if he plays exactly as well or slightly less well than Reimer, he will have the majority of fans wanting him as the #1.

I think Reimer will have to clearly outplay him to keep the #1 job. I hope he does, but if either or both goalies can get us back to the play-offs (a taller order this time around) I'm thrilled.

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
Bernier looked incredibly comfortable in net last night and not once was I worried about a goal being scored on him other than when he made that sick poke check (and I was only worried because I'm not used to that kind of play by any of our goalies recently). If he plays that comfortably all te time than I would much rather him in net than Reiner. I love Reimer but there's definitely times where he plays like he's not comfortable. Just my opinion here

This is how Bernier normally plays. I have been following him since he played in Manchester. He took the Monarchs to the finals and then won the 1A spot. Whenever Quick was not in goal (night off or whatever), we were all just as comfortable with Bernier in net. We never worried. Normally I get a Oh **** thought when backups play, but this was a new feeling for us. For the longest time, our boards had arguments back and forth on who is better (Quick or Bernier). Bernier is more stand up, while Quick is more of a crab (lower to the ice style) but B's positioning is very sound after being mentored by Bill Ranford. He has matured a lot. He was a little scrambly in his early days but he has calmed down immensely, but still has crazy reflexes.

I think he handles pressure so well because he has an arrogant side, which is not a bad thing if you're a goalie. You sort of have to be a little nuts. But he is always super calm when playing and that will be a huge asset come playoff time. Very excited for you guys.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
His numbers over the first 100+ games of his career suggest otherwise. Reimer is a great goaltender.

Sample size (total GP) differs but Reimer has the exact same career SV % as Carey Price (including a stretch where he was injured or recovering from said injury. His numbers when not in that mode are much better.

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
Jon Quick is arguably the best goalie in the NHL (close call between him and Hank IMO), you can't hold not beating him out for the starting job against Bernier

Just to set the record straight on this one.... Bernier wasn't ready a few years ago and neither was our Defense. Our Defense was so poor that Lombardi said he thought it best to send Bernier back down because one of the worst things to do to a young goalie is to play him when your D can't clear a beach ball. It would have ruined Bernier because he was too young, too inexperienced and would have had no help. So Lombardi started working on D first and pulled players in. Our team went of a offensive team to a defensive team. Quick sort of popped up out of nowhere and started stealing games. We initially thought that Quick was going to be a stop gap until Bernier was ready and man did Quick just play his heart out. In the meantime, Bernier was down to the minors, working on his game paying his dues and he came back up as a 1A. We never really looked at him as a full back up because he was supposed to be the chosen one historically. The last few seasons, he has been NHL ready.

Quick gained playoff experience against SJ when we got killed after Kopi busted a leg. When in doubt in playoffs, you go with who has played more playoff games. the next year, Quick got the nod and the rest was history. It has more to do with timing and how our organization developed than just pitting one goalie against another for the starter role. It wasn't Quick Vs Bernier...it was just how the story panned out.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Bernier's fight has earned him a place in my heart for sure already. Gonna be hard to root against him now, even jokingly.

That being said, I still get an eerie Toskala vibe from Bernier. Beyond the similarity of trading for a slick undersized western conference goalie with questionable stats but a massive reputation, last night's game reminds me a little too much of when we first got Toskala....all sorts of great slick saves there, but then bam bam bam, 3 goals that would have been routine saves if he had stopped him, that just found their way through.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Price looks calm and collected in there. For many people, that's more important than actually making saves.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Bernier's fight has earned him a place in my heart for sure already. Gonna be hard to root against him now, even jokingly.

That being said, I still get an eerie Toskala vibe from Bernier. Beyond the similarity of trading for a slick undersized western conference goalie with questionable stats but a massive reputation, last night's game reminds me a little too much of when we first got Toskala....all sorts of great slick saves there, but then bam bam bam, 3 goals that would have been routine saves if he had stopped him, that just found their way through.

The second and third goals shouldn't qualify as "routine saves."

That first one was also well placed. Very similar to the one Reimer gave up the other day to Pysyk.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
if he stops those goals, none of them are highlight reel saves, or even really notable saves.

I'm not going to get all over him for them yet, but if that keeps happening, its not a good thing.

marquee

Apr 7, 2011
Sample size (total GP) differs but Reimer has the exact same career SV % as Carey Price (including a stretch where he was injured or recovering from said injury. His numbers when not in that mode are much better.

That would make prices numbers more impressive. When you also consider his age and gp like you mentioned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad