TSN Radio Pierre LeBrun: Jonathan Bernier will be as good as Carey Price (2011 version).

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Bernier looks great. Reimer is pretty good as well but I think Bernier is pretty special, likely elite.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
well team canada has seen price win the calder cup and the gold medal in the world junior ..with a solid team infront of him i am pretty sure carey will deliver the goods.i am not sure i see price has the number 1 for this year olympic (prolly luongo) but i see hm has the number 2 backup , and number 1 in 4 year

We also see him as a # 2. :sarcasm: :laugh:

Galchenioretty

Galchenyuk 1 G in last 18 playoff Gs
Oct 18, 2009
Canada
I still like Bernier's game and believe. This thread is a pretty good illustration that talented goalies have ups and downs. Don't give up on Bernier.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I still like Bernier's game and believe. This thread is a pretty good illustration that talented goalies have ups and downs. Don't give up on Bernier.

Necro thread lol.

Either way I think Bernier looks just fine, makes a lot of great saves. Team lets him down a lot.

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
Give Bernier a good defense and a team that actually tries and see what happens. I still believe Bernier is a great goaltender. Was always a supporter from watching him in junior.

DesertHombre

Oct 10, 2013
"Epic Fail" comment by Lebrun. Bernier will be lucky to be in the NHL if he keeps up his leaky play of late. The. clock is ticking on Bernier. He may have one more season to prove he can do the job as a #1, then he may be a footnote in NHL history like Vesa Toskala .

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
"Epic Fail" comment by Lebrun. Bernier will be lucky to be in the NHL if he keeps up his leaky play of late. The. clock is ticking on Bernier. He may have one more season to prove he can do the job as a #1, then he may be a footnote in NHL history like Vesa Toskala .

This year he's in the top 30 for SV% at .912, spitting distance from being tied for 16th at .915. Last year he was tied for 8th.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
One thing that does concern me about Bernier, is he is a little undersized for a NHL Goalie.

Seems like NHL Goaltending is evolving into taller bigger wing span Goalies, like Price, Rinne, Bishop, and Holtby.

Something to watch out for with Goaltenders of the future, this may be a position where being tall, athletic and lanky is the way to go.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Big goalies have been the norm for a decade now, maybe even longer.

There will always be a small goalie who defies the odds, but lost starters will be 6'2+

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012

It's pretty clear he's a starting goalie, the question is whether he can become elite or just remain average/above average.

It's also pretty clear he's having an off-year, on a horrific team, like any goaltender in the history of the sport has.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON

Lol was going to discredit this post, but luckily .........

This year he's in the top 30 for SV% at .912, spitting distance from being tied for 16th at .915. Last year he was tied for 8th.

Gary did that for me.

Put Bernier behind a decent team and he's top 10 every year.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

What kind of bogus comment is this...do you realize he's playing in front of a bunch of pylons (except for Reilly) and a bunch of pansies who gave up on the season months ago. Not even Price himself could do much better.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Size is overrated.

Athleticism, anticipation, and overall skill is far more important than size.

A truly great goaltender doesn't have to rely on size to make saves, fo you know why? A great goaltender knows where a shot is going before it's even taken. Top notch anticipation and i.q will take a goaltender far in any league.

iBELEAF

May 30, 2011
Vancouver
Still think Bernier is a top 15 goalie in the league. Too many people selling him short because of the season. Bernier should be one of the last player that should be blamed for this season.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Size is overrated.

Athleticism, anticipation, and overall skill is far more important than size.

Not for guys like Price, Holtby, and Rinne if you watch them play. They cover more net just by having more wing span. Add on atheleticism and natural ability and one can see why these 3 have been the best goalies in the NHL this year. Holtby does not get enough credit, he has been lights out this year.

DesertHombre

Oct 10, 2013
If Jonathon Bernier is as good and up and coming as many of you are saying, then what would you sign him for and for how long? He is after all a RFA this year.
and do you think, Bernier will even want to stay, knowing that a long painful rebuild with another few seasons like this may be on the horizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad