Tribute Pierre Dorion appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
"same thing every time"...get the f*** outta here. Just stating the facts? You know what's as uncommon as waiving your starting goalie? Playing so f***ing bad that they have to be waived. You know what's uncommon as a starting goalie? Winning 15 of 35 starts in your career with the team. You know what's uncommon as a starting goalie? Appearing in only 47 games over the course of 2 seasons with the team. Those things are just as f***ing uncommon as getting waived almost 20 games into your season.

It's honestly unconscionable the lengths you guys will go to make every single thing that happens be the fault of the organization. You could just as easily settle on many or most. But that's never been good enough. EVERY SINGLE THING needs to be the fault of 1 person no matter what the circumstances say.

I feel good about my thoughts on this subject. Don't expect anymore replies to your garbage takes.
The length you guys will go to, there you are at it again. It's amazing how little self awareness you must have when you go on these rants...

You asked for examples, I pointed you to the article that to any reasonable reader doesn't paint a flattering picture of how Murray felt about the situation. But it's everybody else trying to make him look bad, not the circumstances surrounding him...

Honestly I'm not sure why I bother, you'll find a way to complain about how everyone but you is being unreasonable.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The length you guys will go to, there you are at it again. It's amazing how little self awareness you must have when you go on these rants...

You asked for examples, I pointed you to the article that to any reasonable reader doesn't paint a flattering picture of how Murray felt about the situation. But it's everybody else trying to make him look bad, not the circumstances surrounding him...

Honestly I'm not sure why I bother, you'll find a way to complain about how everyone but you is being unreasonable.
Asked for examples to do what he is doing. It was clear to me where he was going

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

These stupid little arguments between posters about “you said that!” “ no I didn’t! Omg did you even read my post?!” Etc that go on for pages and in almost every thread are ruining the forum.

Mods please clean this s*** up and keep the discussion hockey related.

Ffs

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
These stupid little arguments between posters about “you said that!” “ no I didn’t! Omg did you even read my post?!” Etc that go on for pages and in almost every thread are ruining the forum.

Mods please clean this s*** up and keep the discussion hockey related.

Ffs
Don’t worry. Big clean up coming this weekend.

Thanks!

Reactions: Tnuoc Alucard

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I agree about him. I've ran into a few people that remind me of Dorion. You feel sorry for them and want to be nice to them, but then they end up being a jerk when you try to be friendly and it's easy to understand why they're not well liked. They bring it on themselves.

Seems like he wanted to be accepted by people who didn't respect him, and wanted to tear down anyone who was below him. This guy should never have been in a position of leadership. It gave him a bad reputation, this organization a bad reputation, and cost us a 1st round pick.

When DJ is fired, I'll feel bad for the person. Not Dorion though. I'm sure he's made some nice bank these past 8 years anyways. Don't let the door hit you on the way out Pierre.

I find a lot of the “you have to remember someone lost their job today”, “nobody wants to see someone lose their job” quotes you hear on the radio and podcasts just stinks of hypocrisy when they follow it up with tearing into his performance.

Losing a job for underperformance is a part of any work relationship and it’s a particularly prevalent part of pro sports.

It’s normal and fair for sports media to call for people’s jobs when the time comes for a change.

Reactions: Relapsing

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
So Norris, Stutzle in
Zibanejad, Stone, Karlsson out
50% of The Mads Sogaard acquisition can also be tracked back to the EK65 trade…. The other 50% from the Pittsburgh/Vegas/Ottawa Brassard-Gustavsson deal.

Zack Ostapchuk and Levi Merilainen, were also part of the EK65 deal

so..Norris, Stutzle, Merilainen, Sogaard and Ostapchuk in as a result of the EK65 deal…. Not to mention the end of the “issues” in the locker room.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
50% of The Mads Sogaard acquisition can also be tracked back to the EK65 trade…. The other 50% from the Pittsburgh/Vegas/Ottawa Brassard-Gustavsson deal.

Zack Ostapchuk and Levi Merilainen, were also part of the EK65 deal

so..Norris, Stutzle, Merilainen, Sogaard and Ostapchuk in as a result of the EK65 deal…. Not to mention the end of the “issues” in the locker room.
I’m not including non established players. All magic beans right now.
Lots of other “outs” I could have put in there. I focused on the game changers. You can add duchene out if you like.

Up until this day today, since his very first trade sending zibanejad and a second for brassard and a 7th, the team has been worse as a result of the Dorion transactions. It’s insignificant that a couple moves worked out.

Last edited:

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
I find a lot of the “you have to remember someone lost their job today”, “nobody wants to see someone lose their job” quotes you hear on the radio and podcasts just stinks of hypocrisy when they follow it up with tearing into his performance.

Losing a job for underperformance is a part of any work relationship and it’s a particularly prevalent part of pro sports.

It’s normal and fair for sports media to call for people’s jobs when the time comes for a change.
Ya, those comments always reek as so phoney to me. They're just trying to protect themselves from being called heartless.

Hockey executives chose a high risk/high reward career. They have the potential to earn a very large salary and do really interesting work. The drawback is the competition, scrutiny, and high turnover.

It's the career path they chose and what comes with it. They could just as easily work an $80k/year government office job instead and never be fired or criticized.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/ottaw...five-trades-made-by-outgoing-gm-pierre-dorion

5th best trade : moved up to 37th OA using the 44th OA and 83rd OA to... draft a prospect that might have been there at 44th OA. Future still unknown

4th best trade : moved a 5.0 AAV contract that didn't work out as expected for an aging 3rd pairing D-man and a 3rd round pick. All good, until it costed us a 1st round pick

3rd best trade : sold high on Dzingel, unexpected return BUT let Duclair go for nothing as a RFA, traded one of the 2nd for Derek Stepan who had a 6.5 AAV (massive dumps for other teams) and the other 2nd for Matt Murray who we signed to a burden of a contract, who we then had to dump using a 3rd + 7th. And since we could only dump 75% of it, it contributed greatly to us being in cap hell this season

I mean, these are supposed to be some of his best trades...

Up until this day today, since his very first trade sending zibanejad and a second for brassard and a 7th, the team has been worse as a result of the Dorion transactions. It’s insignificant that a couple moves worked out.

The reality is we decided (well Melnyk did) to dismantle 100% a team that went to the ECF in 2017. Most of the best players we had were still young and valuable.

6+ years later, it still doesn't look like we're anywhere near what they were capable to achieve, despite a whole firesale and 6 drafts

Next management has a chance to turn this into something good though and it starts with hiring the right coaching staff who will have them play the right way and maximize their potential.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/ottaw...five-trades-made-by-outgoing-gm-pierre-dorion

5th best trade : moved up to 37th OA using the 44th OA and 83rd OA to... draft a prospect that might have been there at 44th OA. Future still unknown

4th best trade : moved a 5.0 AAV contract that didn't work out as expected for an aging 3rd pairing D-man and a 3rd round pick. All good, until it costed us a 1st round pick

3rd best trade : sold high on Dzingel, unexpected return BUT let Duclair go for nothing as a RFA, traded one of the 2nd for Derek Stepan who had a 6.5 AAV (massive dumps for other teams) and the other 2nd for Matt Murray who we signed to a burden of a contract, who we then had to dump using a 3rd + 7th. And since we could only dump 75% of it, it contributed greatly to us being in cap hell this season

I mean, these are supposed to be some of his best trades...

The reality is we decided (well Melnyk did) to dismantle 100% a team that went to the ECF in 2017. Most of the best players we had were still young and valuable.

6+ years later, it still doesn't look like we're anywhere near what they were capable to achieve, despite a whole firesale and 6 drafts

Next management has a chance to turn this into something good though and it starts with hiring the right coaching staff who will have them play the right way and maximize their potential.
That first part sure sums up PD's MO. 1 step forward, another step backwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad