Pick the Perfect LW for JT and KO!

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Yeah i know because....wait...what?

:laugh: Just because Bailey's skill set (yes, I do think he has a skill set) matches well with JT and KO. And Bailey has played well with KO too.

Would I put him on the list if I could choose from the whole NHL? Certainly not, but I do think he might be the best option on the Isles right now.

startainfection*

It breaks my heart, because a couple more losses in 2011 and NYI could have been in a position to draft him. Gabriel Landeskog could be the perfect fit. Excellent defensively, strong on the boards and underrated skills.

it was the concussion and injuries that killed nino's development him and landeskog were pretty much identical players

mitchy22

Aug 19, 2002
Visit site
Would love to see Evander Kane there; thought that for a long time. I've stopped wishing for such things to happen though, hehe.

Brock Nelson is a big kid that can skate who isn't afraid to shoot. Since he didn't seem out of place there, and our coach lacks imagination, I'll be surprised if he isn't back there. (Our coach doesn't seem to care about the lack of size down the middle for some reason.) If I could clone Brock Nelson, I would for this purpose.

If we're lucky enough that they think of Nelson as 2C in the future, then I'd hope we'd bring Strome up to play on Nelson's right side. I'd put Grabner on the left side of that. This eases Strome in as he's still filling out and lets him use his skill with less responsibility. (I've noticed some people not being impressed with Strome in other threads. Just remember how JT improved significantly over his first three seasons. The biggest reason was strength. Strome is still going to need that kind of time frame.)

Quite frankly, that leaves us with Bailey from our own team. He's been playing better of late. He's not bad along the boards. He's a good passer. He seems slightly more willing to shoot from the left side. He has high hockey IQ. If his issue is really confidence, and I'll suggest misuse is also a part of it, then why not put him in the best possible place to succeed for a change?

With Bailey signed longterm, it makes sense to try it out for the remainder of the season. He was signed to play a major role, let's see what he can do already. He's making $2.2 million this season. His salary gets bumped up each year of his contract. This is a playmaker who has never really been put with a goalscorer and has been thrown from center to RW to LW and back. The move allows us to get some size down the middle with Nelson staying where he is. I think it's a no-brainer.

After Vanek is gone, without knowing who is coming back in any trades, I'd roll with something like this:

Bailey-JT-KO
Grabner-Nelson-Strome
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
Boulton-Sundstrom-McDonald

If we call more players up or bring someone back in a salary swap, then the above would change. Not a fan of Boulton as an every game player, but I don't want to gut Bridgeport even more for the sake of the players that stay there to develop. There's a reason why I'm hoping we'd bring a guy like Stoll back if it was possible as part of a trade. (Just to win faceoffs, add size, and to play 3rd/4th line center. That's it!)

The season is pretty much lost. Now is the time to see what you have for next year. This is the time to experiment. This way, you get a better idea of team needs for next season.

:),
Mitch

Last edited:

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Would love to see Evander Kane there; thought that for a long time. I've stopped wishing for such things to happen though, hehe.

Brock Nelson is a big kid that can skate who isn't afraid to shoot. Since he didn't seem out of place there, and our coach lacks imagination, I'll be surprised if he isn't back there. (Our coach doesn't seem to care about the lack of size down the middle for some reason.) If I could clone Brock Nelson, I would for this purpose.

If we're lucky enough that they think of Nelson as 2C in the future, then I'd hope we'd bring Strome up to play on Nelson's right side. I'd put Grabner on the left side of that. This eases Strome in as he's still filling out and lets him use his skill with less responsibility. (I've noticed some people not being impressed with Strome in other threads. Just remember how JT improved significantly over his first three seasons. The biggest reason was strength. Strome is still going to need that kind of time frame.)

Quite frankly, that leaves us with Bailey from our own team. He's been playing better of late. He's not bad along the boards. He's a good passer. He seems slightly more willing to shoot from the left side. He has high hockey IQ. If his issue is really confidence, and I'll suggest misuse is also a part of it, then why not put him in the best possible place to succeed for a change?

With Bailey signed longterm, it makes sense to try it out for the remainder of the season. He was signed to play a major role, let's see what he can do already. He's making $2.2 million this season. His salary gets bumped up each year of his contract. This is a playmaker who has never really been put with a goalscorer and has been thrown from center to RW to LW and back. The move allows us to get some size down the middle with Nelson staying where he is. I think it's a no-brainer.

After Vanek is gone, without knowing who is coming back in any trades, I'd roll with something like this:

Bailey-JT-KO
Grabner-Nelson-Strome

If we call more players up or bring someone back in a salary swap, then the above would change. Not a fan of Boulton as an every game player, but I don't want to gut Bridgeport even more for the sake of the players that stay there to develop. There's a reason why I'm hoping we'd bring a guy like Stoll back if it was possible as part of a trade. (Just to win faceoffs, add size, and to play 3rd/4th line center. That's it!)

The season is pretty much lost. Now is the time to see what you have for next year. This is the time to experiment. This way, you get a better idea of team needs for next season.

Mitch

He saved Kyle's career, so why not give it a try?

duster19

Feb 13, 2013

Bailey-JT-KO
Grabner-Nelson-Strome

Mitch

i think bailey will get his shot. Love to see Toffili come over from LA.

the thing I always wondered about Bailey and his play makung...is how come no one ever scores any goals when they play wirh him. if he was such a great playmaker, wouldnt avg goal scorers turn into good goal scorers when they played with him?

mitchy22

Aug 19, 2002
Visit site
He saved Kyle's career, so why not give it a try?

I just wonder what it is they were thinking when they signed him. Where did they think Bailey fit in the lineup? I'm assuming it was potentially as a top-6 forward.

I thought the Bailey-Nielsen-KO line was flawed conceptually, but they still carried us for a month of hockey. (I'm still not a fan of Nielsen as a center, but I don't want to completely digress here; he just always seems more effective on the right side and his size and tendency to be weak in front of either net hurts his defensive and offensive play.) Regardless of my annoying parenthetical, it still showed potential in all three players to produce offensively. Used correctly, they all could flourish. I also thought KO turned the corner with his conditioning. KO's endurance is the biggest part of his turnaround. His shot has also improved, but it's his ability to play his game through 60 minutes and, so far, this entire season that has made him so effective. (It's a shame I don't get paid for digression.)

Does anyone think that Regin-Nielsen-Bailey is a 2nd line? That made Bailey the net front presence. Does anyone think that's a role he's best suited for? I'm not saying he shouldn't have shown more, but that line combo shows me the coach mismanaging three players at the same time. It makes me wonder if he knows the strengths and weaknesses of any forward on the team.

As far as I'm concerned, you put Bailey with JT and KO in order to see what he can do in the best possible situation we can afford him. You keep him on that line for the 1st PP unit. You do it over the remainder of the season. Every single game until it's over, Josh Bailey is on the top line. You get your answer as to whether or not Josh Bailey can play with offensively talented players as the final complement to a line. See if he can be worth his contract, or whether he'll end up an overpaid 3rd liner.

If this dumb ****ing coach doesn't put one of our highest paid left wings in the top-6, I'm going to smack him in the face when I see him. I'm sure he'll find a way to keep both Bailey and Grabner out of the top-6. We'll probably see McDonald and Clutterbuck moved to the left side in a monumental stroke of idiocy.

Sorry, this **** just bothers me a lot. I look at the current contracts and player history, and I just wonder what the **** is going through their heads.

Mitch

Last edited:

mitchy22

Aug 19, 2002
Visit site
i think bailey will get his shot. Love to see Toffili come over from LA.

the thing I always wondered about Bailey and his play makung...is how come no one ever scores any goals when they play wirh him. if he was such a great playmaker, wouldnt avg goal scorers turn into good goal scorers when they played with him?

What goalscorers has he played with? Grabner? A guy who is most comfortable on the same exact side of the ice? If they stick Bailey to the left of JT or Nelson, he'll be used properly. Will they bother to do that? Do they understand why that makes sense?

They've also put Bailey next to Nielsen, but then you have two players who still tend to pass first and Nielsen produces almost exclusively on right side of the ice (even though he lines up at center.) Nielsen also shies away from the area of the ice where Bailey is most likely to put the puck effectively. These players shouldn't be on the same line together, or they would need a big goalscoring center between them. If Josh Bailey is your net front presence, then you've done something wrong.

Mitch

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
Are we serious here? We are talking about everyone in the NHL and half of the second page is Josh ********** Bailey? It would be easier to make a list of players i wouldn't take Bailey, not to mention we are talking zetterberg, Kane etc. My choice is still Ovi, but for god s sake...if you could pick ANY left winger in the NHL to play with JT-Okposo...how does josh bailey even enter your mind unless its in this context...
"Well we added a top left winger, who do we scratch? JOSH BAILEY"

End of rant

mitchy22

Aug 19, 2002
Visit site
Are we serious here? We are talking about everyone in the NHL and half of the second page is Josh ********** Bailey? It would be easier to make a list of players i wouldn't take Bailey, not to mention we are talking zetterberg, Kane etc. My choice is still Ovi, but for god s sake...if you could pick ANY left winger in the NHL to play with JT-Okposo...how does josh bailey even enter your mind unless its in this context...

End of rant

...because we're not getting Evander Kane and we haven't added payroll in about the last several years. Also, I'm skilled at both typing and digression.

It might be a natural progression to actually pick a player already on the team after we've given our dream answers to Darth. My very unscientific study has already collected some data on this.

Mitch

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

End of rant

Not for nothing, but if we had this thread a year ago you might have said the same thing about Okposo. But this year if other teams' fans had this thread KO would get a lot of votes. Just saying. Giving up on a 24 year old is a dangerous game. Just ask Milbury.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I just wonder what it is they were thinking when they signed him. Where did they think Bailey fit in the lineup? I'm assuming it was potentially as a top-6 forward.

I thought the Bailey-Nielsen-KO line was flawed conceptually, but they still carried us for a month of hockey. (I'm still not a fan of Nielsen as a center, but I don't want to completely digress here; he just always seems more effective on the right side and his size and tendency to be weak in front of either net hurts his defensive and offensive play.) Regardless of my annoying parenthetical, it still showed potential in all three players to produce offensively. Used correctly, they all could flourish. I also thought KO turned the corner with his conditioning. KO's endurance is the biggest part of his turnaround. His shot has also improved, but it's his ability to play his game through 60 minutes and, so far, this entire season that has made him so effective. (It's a shame I don't get paid for digression.)

Does anyone think that Regin-Nielsen-Bailey is a 2nd line? That made Bailey the net front presence. Does anyone think that's a role he's best suited for? I'm not saying he shouldn't have shown more, but that line combo shows me the coach mismanaging three players at the same time. It makes me wonder if he knows the strengths and weaknesses of any forward on the team.

As far as I'm concerned, you put Bailey with JT and KO in order to see what he can do in the best possible situation we can afford him. You keep him on that line for the 1st PP unit. You do it over the remainder of the season. Every single game until it's over, Josh Bailey is on the top line. You get your answer as to whether or not Josh Bailey can play with offensively talented players as the final complement to a line. See if he can be worth his contract, or whether he'll end up an overpaid 3rd liner.

If this dumb ****ing coach doesn't put one of our highest paid left wings in the top-6, I'm going to smack him in the face when I see him. I'm sure he'll find a way to keep both Bailey and Grabner out of the top-6. We'll probably see McDonald and Clutterbuck moved to the left side in a monumental stroke of idiocy.

Sorry, this **** just bothers me a lot. I look at the current contracts and player history, and I just wonder what the **** is going through their heads.

Mitch

Yeah, it is pretty frustrating. But it brings up a sore point for me. I look at the top 6 and I think, "Holy crap, what a bunch of ******* *****-cats." I feel like some big changes need to happen in the next year or two, meaning movement. Maybe it is as simple as Lee moving one guy out the door, and one more acquisition that shaves and can bench press more than a P&J sandwich.

mitchy22

Aug 19, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, it is pretty frustrating. But it brings up a sore point for me. I look at the top 6 and I think, "Holy crap, what a bunch of ******* *****-cats." I feel like some big changes need to happen in the next year or two, meaning movement. Maybe it is as simple as Lee moving one guy out the door, and one more acquisition that shaves and can bench press more than a P&J sandwich.

Unfortunately, it seems like we need every larger forward prospect with some promise to pan out at this point. I'm not sure if that ever happens. I have hope for Lee, Sundstrom and Nelson being on this team. Nelson will be a top-6 player. Sundstrom could be a checking forward. I have to see a lot more of what Lee skating in the NHL will look like.

As players start to push, I'd trade Nielsen. He's valuable enough to get a solid return and is occupying a place where we need more size. Even if we moved Nielsen to right wing, I think Strome will eventually be more productive. (Might not be for 2-3 years though.) In that future scenario, it's even more important that we add a sizable left wing to the top-6. (LW-Nelson-Strome is how I'm hoping it shakes out for our 2nd line.)

I don't think we can move Bailey at this time, and that's also a reason to give him every opportunity down the stretch. With Nielsen out, it'll be a good time to stress test some prospects and this lineup as a whole.

Build lines for the future and see how they work. Match playmakers with goalscorers and spread size and speed throughout the lineup. Build a line that you might want to send out late in a game. Ya know, attempt to build a hockey club. ;)

Mitch

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
What goalscorers has he played with? Grabner? A guy who is most comfortable on the same exact side of the ice? If they stick Bailey to the left of JT or Nelson, he'll be used properly. Will they bother to do that? Do they understand why that makes sense?

They've also put Bailey next to Nielsen, but then you have two players who still tend to pass first and Nielsen produces almost exclusively on right side of the ice (even though he lines up at center.) Nielsen also shies away from the area of the ice where Bailey is most likely to put the puck effectively. These players shouldn't be on the same line together, or they would need a big goalscoring center between them. If Josh Bailey is your net front presence, then you've done something wrong.

Mitch

KO goes to the front of the net and he scored 4 goals in 48 games with Bailey

Like I said before...a great playmaker would aid guys like grabner and KO in scoring goals. Great playmakers don't need great goal scorers to produce. The only hope Bailey has at producing is if he plays with JT and gets carried and he can chip in here and there.

The guys got 100 A in 400 games. He can make a decent first pass, can simplify the game, but he certainly not a great play maker. In order to be a play maker...you make plays.

I haven't seen him playing much with Grabner. But if I'm missing something...and I watch 99% of their games...but Grabner is also having his worst goal scoring season.

Never seen so many guys back/defend/promote a guy who has done little to nothing in the way of production. Getting married to a guy like Bailey could be a disaster...just a tease always leaving you wanting more.

On a separate note more on topic...would love to see Evander kane. I still think there could be a deal with Nielsen +

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Not for nothing, but if we had this thread a year ago you might have said the same thing about Okposo. But this year if other teams' fans had this thread KO would get a lot of votes. Just saying. Giving up on a 24 year old is a dangerous game. Just ask Milbury.

Totally disagree. Some of the posters felt that way about Okposo but I think a majority knew that it was still able to click for Okie because of his work ethic and hustle. That was never lacking. In Failey it is...and I would argue the other stuff has clicked already, he just can't get his head in the game and he's lazy. Without a sports psychologist or a major attitude adjustment, or a change in scenery he is doomed for failure.

NYI13

Dec 9, 2009
Long Island

I agree 100% with this, that's why we all hate Snow for rushing Bailey. I think he learned his lesson and will let the younglings continue to develop (Strome, Reinhart, Nelson), slowly but surely.

*Insert some bluechipbonzo quote about the future being bright with a slight hint of Petrov*

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
:laugh: Just because Bailey's skill set (yes, I do think he has a skill set) matches well with JT and KO. And Bailey has played well with KO too.

Would I put him on the list if I could choose from the whole NHL? Certainly not, but I do think he might be the best option on the Isles right now.

Best option?!?!? Dear Lord this is a perpetual rebuild. This was his put up or shut up year and he has failed. So yeah lets give him another year and maybe it will be better.

startainfection*

Sad thing is if we drafted Schenn instead of Failey, we could have traded him for JVR. I said it when the trade happened and I say it again, I'd much rather have JVR than Failey...

then not have drafted hammer or any of the players we got with all those picks we got from trading down

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad