HF Habs: Pick our next Captain POLL

Pick our next Captain poll

• Total voters

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Joel Edmundson.

He's a veteran that has been around and loves it here. He has the respect of his teammates, the coaches and the rest of the league. Let Suzuki continue to develop for another couple years before handing it off to him and the pressures that go with it...

Reactions: Tetragrammaton

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Nobody. People say Suzuki but he’s pretty introverted and I think he’d develop better without everything that comes with being captain. Carey realistically is but he’s likely done
Yeah cuz Carey is so extroverted, we all know how much he enjoys talking to the media...

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Saku Koivu was named captain at 24 years old. Exactly 50 days after Nick Suzuki was born.

I actually forgot how young Koivu was when he was named captain. So I guess Suzuki can share those same honors at 23 years old.

Ideally I would still wait a bit. This season will be another shit show and there's no reason to throw him or any young potential C into the fire like that.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Nobody. People say Suzuki but he’s pretty introverted and I think he’d develop better without everything that comes with being captain. Carey realistically is but he’s likely done
The same was said about Koivu.

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
I know they wanted to make him the Captain. Though I think it was the league that wouldn't allow him to have a C on his jersey.
1B1C8FC9-37CD-491B-91E3-D4D9594E05BB.jpeg

He was the official Captain and had the C on his mask instead of on his jersey lol.

It just doesn’t make sense to me, a goalie should stay in his bubble and not have to deal with being Captain.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
lol it wasn't official through the league. Anyone could paint a C on their mask ;)
He was only the team appointed captain.
What ever it was it didn’t make sense, captains are supposed to deal with referees and deal with team issues. Goalies should be 100% focused on stopping pucks.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
What ever it was it didn’t make sense, captains are supposed to deal with referees and deal with team issues. Goalies should be 100% focused on stopping pucks.
Agreed, I think the Canucks knew this. But it was more to show respect to Luongo.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I know they wanted to make him the Captain. Though I think it was the league that wouldn't allow him to have a C on his jersey.
Do we know why the league doesnt allow a goalie to wear the letter C? I’m curious

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
You can always have the assistants do that, I actually don't really see a problem with your goalie being the captain if he's indeed the most respected guy in the room.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
It’s too soon for Suzuki. There is no rush.Right now, he doesn’t need the extra pressure anyway.

Let’s say Habs win the lottery and pick Bedard next draft. The Habs become Bedard’s team. Suzuki becomes #2 C and Bedard becomes an option for captain.

I don’t see any good reason to pick right now because no one knows what this team will look like in 2-3 years. It could be Suzuki or someone else.

That’s why I like the Edmundson pick.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
It’s too soon for Suzuki. There is no rush.Right now, he doesn’t need the extra pressure anyway.

Let’s say Habs win the lottery and pick Bedard next draft. The Habs become Bedard’s team. Suzuki becomes #2 C and Bedard becomes an option for captain.

I don’t see any good reason to pick right now because no one knows what this team will look like in 2-3 years. It could be Suzuki or someone else.

That’s why I like the Edmundson pick.
So Bedard at 18 years old becomes an option but Suzuki at 23 is not one? I got ya, yeah, your logic is amazing...

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
They will probably try and trade Edmundson at the TDL this season or the next one like they did with Chiarot.

I don't see how they're naming him captain for such a short period of time.

Just give it to Suzuki right away and get done with it.
Maybe they should go Captainless next season.. it’s pretty clear that they want to finish very low in the standings again for the 2023 draft. Tank the season without a Captain, draft Fantilli or better, and then name Suzuki Captain for the start of the 23-24 season. I think I like this option best.

Boyon90

Sep 23, 2013
Of all four, it has to be edmundson, all the others are too young, besides I believe it can affect them if they are put in charge and fail, so Id rather see a captain fall that is edmundson over all other 3,

actually, I could want gallagher to be the captain, as his ultimate test, he will get stage for the tradedeadline

MarioLeMoose

Jul 15, 2022
I think Suzuki’s age in reference to him being captain is being blown out of proportion. Everything about this kid screams captain material. He’s leading our youth movement. He’s somebody the younger players and prospects surely look up to. If anything I think there’s less pressure now than if we made him captain in 2-3 years when the expectation is that we need to compete. There is no expectation on the club right now, and Nick can grow into the role. If Suzuki has a bad season/struggles he’s going to feel the heat anyways due to his big contract he just signed. If anything the captaincy could give him something to lean back on at times of frustration.

Of course, this is just from one fans perspective, I obviously have no idea what goes on in the dressing room. I will support whoever the coaches and players decide on. If the coaches and players decide Suzuki is their leader, his age is of no concern to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad