Pick or Playoffs?

Pick or Playoffs?

• Total voters

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
Fingers crossed both their picks produce relative to their draft position. The Avs finally turned their attention to rebuilding after the 15-16 season and this needs to continue. Makes the decade prior all the more frustrating as they should have started this process in 09. Too many years wasted....

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Fingers crossed both their picks produce relative to their draft position. The Avs finally turned their attention to rebuilding after the 15-16 season and this needs to continue. Makes the decade prior all the more frustrating as they should have started this process in 09. Too many years wasted....
There's definitely a lot of luck involved. Some draft years suck, some are amazing. Sometimes you get an elite player with the 10th pick (Rantanen), and sometimes you pick a bust (Jost).

We had 48 points a couple years ago, and fell to 4th. Looks like 4th might be a blessing in disguise, considering the way Makar has played.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
An early draft pick wouldn't totally annoy me and I don't expect them to make the playoffs anymore but I still want them to make the playoffs.
We'll make it in about 14 months from now with a much better roster and coaching staff.

I hope.

Ugh

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
There's definitely a lot of luck involved. Some draft years suck, some are amazing. Sometimes you get an elite player with the 10th pick (Rantanen), and sometimes you pick a bust (Jost).

We had 48 points a couple years ago, and fell to 4th. Looks like 4th might be a blessing in disguise, considering the way Makar has played.

I still wish he could have drafted Heiskanen, but only time will tell how good Makar will become

Reactions: Murzu and McMetal

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Meh, I don't think it much matters. Playoff hockey would be fun for a week, but otherwise, I don't have a really strong feeling one way or the other. Especially given it looks like they're going to be in good shape for a Top 5 pick regardless.

I'm more focused on whether or not they do the right thing here at the deadline (not be buyers) and what they do with the roster in the offseason.

Reactions: TruePowerSlave

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Meh, I don't think it much matters. Playoff hockey would be fun for a week, but otherwise, I don't have a really strong feeling one way or the other. Especially given it looks like they're going to be in good shape for a Top 5 pick regardless.

I'm more focused on whether or not they do the right thing here at the deadline (not be buyers) and what they do with the roster in the offseason.
2 top 5 picks would be an unbelievable boost, that would set us up for years.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
2 top 5 picks would be an unbelievable boost, that would set us up for years.

Yeah, if it came to that, I'd embrace it. But there are some real '18-19 train wreck teams down at the bottom of the standings. Find it hard to imagine the Avs will realistically tank that badly and pass (in the wrong direction) some of those teams (who will likely be sellers).

Perhaps I'm just tired of rooting for the tank. If they miss, this will be 8 out of 11 years out of the playoffs. I'm 100% an asset management guy, but all of this tanking is getting old.

Reactions: AvsFan29

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Yeah, if it came to that, I'd embrace it. But there are some real '18-19 train wreck teams down at the bottom of the standings. Find it hard to imagine the Avs will realistically tank that badly and pass (in the wrong direction) some of those teams (who will likely be sellers).

We have 4 wins in 18 games. We weren't trying to suck, we just do.

A top 10 pick is realistic, and I won't be shocked to see it end up closer to 5.

The top 7-8 players are all great and will help this team.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Always playoffs.

They need to learn how to win in the playoffs. That's the last part of development. You only learn how to do that by playing in the playoffs.

Reactions: Avs

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Frankly, I would rather have the 15th pick than keep losing. The last thing we need is more failure in this org, even if we just barely miss I would rather that than watch this team give up.

Reactions: cgf and Balthazar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad