Pick or Playoffs?

Pick or Playoffs?

• Total voters

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
The Avs currently sit 3 points out of the last wildcard spot, with one game in hand on Minnesota.

We are 6 points back from St Louis (1 more gp) and Dallas (even).

A loss today, likely puts 3rd in the West out of reach.

Our next 4 games are against St Louis / Vegas / Jets / Hawks.

Our season could arguably be over after these 4 games.

Do you want to sneak into the playoffs, or continue to fall for a higher pick.

This team is likely to be better next season, and a higher pick would only increase our odds of improving.

Pick or Playoffs?

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Prefer the pick, but if we make the playoffs I'd enjoy that too. Just don't think we have much of a chance if we do get in. Quote this when we win the cup :)

Reactions: AvsFan29

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I personally think that the playoffs would be much better for the organization as a whole, and a second top pick, with a shot at a second top 5 pick, could be huge.

Missing the playoffs will undoubtedly hurt the team, and cost players, and likely some management staff, their jobs.

I'd like to see us go on a run and make it.

Reactions: 21

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Obviously I want the playoffs so this franchise can finally start making progress after a decade of futility...but I know that's not happening, so might as well embrace the tank.

It's never too early to get started on the next rebuild!

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'm happy with either honestly. Playoffs would be a solid continuation off of last season and keeps us relevant as an upcoming contender as well as finally shedding this teams inability to be a consistent playoff team that has hindered them for over a decade now.

Not making playoffs means we get two very, very good players out of the draft which would also be extremely important to the organization as well. As it has become clear that the players we have within the organization right now are not going to fill the secondary scoring void that we have(At least not on the team now, jury is still very much out on Kaut) and so getting Hughes/Kakko/Cozens/Turcotte with the Ottawa pick and then potentially snagging another forward like Zegras/Boldy/Krebs/Lavoie/etc with our first around #10 would be an awesome boost and should help fill secondary scoring very soon. Of course there's always the outside chance we get extremely lucky and find ourselves picking twice in the Top 5 as well.

I personally dont think the making/missing playoffs nonsense has much to do with our chances of getting high end free agents to sign here. I think we have a strong enough foundation of players that even if we miss playoffs, we still have a shot at signing big name free agents if they have interest in moving to Denver(Which is ultimately what it all comes down to) and if the Avs are willing to offer competitive deals to try and land them.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Having the Sens pick makes this an easy decision. Playoffs.

giphy.gif

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
If there is another Rantanen available at #10 definitely the pick. Rather get another ppg+ player for the 2nd line much needed secondary scoring help then a quick 1st round exit from the playoffs. Since I'm not sure exactly how deep this draft is, I'm undecided which one to vote for

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Playoffs.

Playoffs + #1/2OV + #15-18
>
No playoffs + #1/2OV + #7-10

The quality of free agents and NTC players via trade that we will attract by achieving playoffs twice in a row far outweighs the difference in our pick.

Nevermind what it actually means to our current core.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
As a draft and prospect nut, easily playoffs. Losing for the next two and half months of the season for two days of glory is just a terrible price, especially in these lottery draws where 9th or 13th have legitimate chances of winning a top 3 spot now.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Can’t believe this is a question. We have a top 5 player in the world. We have a top 5 scoring winger still on his elc due for a huge raise. We made the playoffs a year ago and a step back is hurtful to a young core. We have an unbelievable prospect pool or high end prospects. And we already have a top 5 pick thanks to the Sens. I can’t imagine an actual fan wanting a higher pick than playing playoff hockey for the second year in a row after all the awful years we’ve suffered through.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Can’t believe this is a question. We have a top 5 player in the world. We have a top 5 scoring winger still on his elc due for a huge raise. We made the playoffs a year ago and a step back is hurtful to a young core. We have an unbelievable prospect pool or high end prospects. And we already have a top 5 pick thanks to the Sens. I can’t imagine an actual fan wanting a higher pick than playing playoff hockey for the second year in a row after all the awful years we’ve suffered through.
You can't believe this is a question? Have you seen our situation?

The question isn't "if you could make a wish, would you wish for playoffs or a high pick?"

Not making the playoffs is a very real outcome, and if this week goes badly, it's nearly certain. The question is meant to start a conversation about what people thinking about these 2 outcomes.

Despite the way you worded your comment, I agree with you.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

The question isn't "if you could make a wish, would you wish for playoffs or a high pick?"

Not making the playoffs is a very real outcome, and if this week goes badly, it's nearly certain. The question is meant to start a conversation about what people thinking about these 2 outcomes.

??? The question was "do you want to make the playoffs" not how likely we think that is. There shouldn't be a single avs fan who actually wants to miss the playoffs this season...regardless of how badly Sakic appears to...

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

You asked the question. Anyone who doesn’t want playoffs over a high pick is mental.

AvsFanInMichigan

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!”
Apr 16, 2018
Michigan
Hmm depends. I’d love to see us make the playoffs, However if missing the playoffs guaranteed Hughes and another top 6 pick then I would rather we miss the playoffs then get blown out in round 1. I do think if we can make the necessary improvements to this roster, we will be making the playoffs consistently.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
People saying they dont want to lose anymore yet you guys don't want more high end talent? Without more talent, this team isnt gonna win anything, so basically you should want more top picks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad