Pick a winger for Matthews

LeafsBro

34 I 91 I 16
Oct 18, 2011
Barrie, Ontario
I think more of a play making type would suit him ie. Kane, Goudreau, Voracek.

Our current RW option has the potential to be pretty good tho.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Zack and his twin brother Zeke Hyman.:eek:

Seriously though, McDavid, who else?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Marner is to good to play with Matthews. It's fun for a bit but better served with Mitch running his own line. Wasn't anyone watching him while Matthews was out? I don't want them on the same line, I want the other team unable to match us.
Matthews could use a PWF though.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Marner is to good to play with Matthews. It's fun for a bit but better served with Mitch running his own line. Wasn't anyone watching him while Matthews was out? I don't want them on the same line, I want the other team unable to match us.
Matthews could use a PWF though.
Gotta remember, though, that Marner playing on Matthews' right side means Willy isn't. Allowing Nylander to center his own line brings its own set of challenges for opponents.
I do agree, though, that having Matthews and Marner driving separate lines is a ridiculous luxury that most teams don't have. It's nice to imagine a time where our depth is so good that Marner and Matthews on the same line doesn't take away from that depth.

Last edited:

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
All they need is Nylander and an average left winger who can make the routine plays and is responsible defensively...
That would be dynamite.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Gotta remember, though, that Marner playing on Matthews' right side means Willy isn't. Allowing Nylander to center his own line brings its own set of challenges for opponents.
I do agree, though, that having Matthews and Marner driving separate lines is a ridiculous luxury that most teams don't have. It's nice to imagine a time where our depth is so good that Marner and Matthews on the same line doesn't take away from that depth.
When we drafted Matthews, Marner, Nylander, I envisioned 3 lines. 3 lines and a speedy/specialty 4th line is what wins and sustains.
Matthews
Kadri...Marner
Nylander

There's your core, lock it up. That's why I move end of the contract guys like JVR to keep replenishing.
That core surrounded by an influx of cost effect talent makes you a force for years.

Reactions: IBeL13f

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad