Pick 5 Players to Keep if we Miss the Playoffs

PatriceBergeron

Apr 7, 2014
MA
Bergeron, Pastrnak, Dougie, and Tuukka are the definites.

Last spot goes to Krejci or Marchand.

Out of the entire list I would only want to keep including 8 including Loui and Spooner.

TCDaniels

Legen... Wait for it
Feb 12, 2003
Maine
Wow Krejci numbers are looooow

What have you done for me lately.

Its because he has been hurt, people forget who the playoff mvp was, I picked him over Marchand because he is a better player notwithstanding injuries...

Bergeron, Dougie, Pastrnak are givens.
Tuukka.
Picked Krejci over Marchand because in my opinion, he's the better player.

Haven't read the whole thread yet... just dove right in and made my picks.

But I would suspect (judging by the poll results that are revealed when you vote) that there are a number of people who view the "Kretch VS Mar-shayind debate" the same way I do...

Krejci - Great player... maybe better than Brad... Brings it in the playoffs. Love him.

7.25 Million Cap hit

Brad - Great player... Maybe not quite as good as Kretch... Sometimes brings it in the playoffs... Sometimes love him... Sometimes want to beat him with his own shoe - but not nearly as frequently as the loving part.

4.5 Million Cap hit.

Is Kretch more than 1-1/2 times the player that Marchand is? In my opinion - no.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
Oops I screwed up and don't see how I can change back as much as I love Loui he has to come off for Dougie obviously. Rask, bergy, Pastrnak, D.K and Hamilton would be my five but considering we have a huge problem on wing I don't like losing marchy or loui.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Krug is slowly becoming a quintessential leader on this team. Really wish Chiarelli locked him up long term.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Bergy, Krejci, Pasta, Dougie, Rask.

Really hard to keep Marchand off there but it's hypothetical. I feel like those 5 and Marshy are the only ones safe if we do miss the playoffs.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
The player that most are picking over DK, Marchand had only 5 assists and no goals, and he was never playoff MVP... as I said health notwithstanding Krejci is a better player but the premise of this poll is not realistic anyway because I would keep both...

Health was the reason I picked marcahnd. He's been healthy for most of his career, krejci has been hurt a few times over the years and missed games

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014
(Bergy, Rask, Pasta, Marchand, Dougie)
For the #5 spot, I was struggling with Dougie vs Krejci vs Loui

- Dougie is (presumably) the future, but I haven't been happy with him this season, and I'm beginning to have my doubts. I feel like the gamble with him is bigger than I thought it was last season.
- Krejci is very talented, a great fit for CJ's system, but he has probably our largest cap hit, and should bring back a lot were he to be offered in trade.
- Loui is underrated around these parts, and I really think he would shine as a top-line winger. He's a great fit for the system, and is paid like a 2nd line winger.

I love Krug, but he's not part of my core, and Dougie actually offers more both offensively & defensively.

boston77

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
Haven't read the whole thread yet... just dove right in and made my picks.

But I would suspect (judging by the poll results that are revealed when you vote) that there are a number of people who view the "Kretch VS Mar-shayind debate" the same way I do...

Krejci - Great player... maybe better than Brad... Brings it in the playoffs. Love him.

7.25 Million Cap hit

Brad - Great player... Maybe not quite as good as Kretch... Sometimes brings it in the playoffs... Sometimes love him... Sometimes want to beat him with his own shoe - but not nearly as frequently as the loving part.

4.5 Million Cap hit.

Is Kretch more than 1-1/2 times the player that Marchand is? In my opinion - no.

Since you asked the answer is yes he is ... here are the numbers.... I try to take bias out of the equation.... numbers don't lie....

DK Career points reg season 404 in 542 games = .75 ppg
Playoffs 77 points in 93 games = .83 ppg

Marchy Career points reg season 225 in 368 games = .61 ppg
Playoffs 39 points in 66 games = .59 ppt

DK elevates his game except last year while Marchy is about the same...great players always play better in the playoffs

Last edited:

TCDaniels

Legen... Wait for it
Feb 12, 2003
Maine
Since you asked the answer is yes he is ... here are the numbers.... I try to take bias out of the equation.... numbers don't lie....

DK Career points reg season 404 in 542 games = .75 ppg
Playoffs 77 points in 93 games = .83 ppg

Marchy Career points reg season 225 in 368 games = .61 ppg
Playoffs 39 points in 66 games = .59 ppt

DK elevates his game except last year while Marchy is about the same...great players always play better in the playoffs

You're absolutely right. Numbers don't lie. Throw the cap hit into your equations and see how the numbers work out.

Look - I love Kretch. I like him better than Marshand (true!)... All things being equal, I keep DK46 100 times out of 100 (and twice on Sunday)

But all things aren't equal when you add in cap hits.

The fact of the matter is that they've each had 2 dog years in the playoffs (in fact - both the same years: 2011-12 and 2013-14). They were both nearly identical in their absence:

Kretch 11-12: 7gp / 1+2=3
March 11-12: 7gp / 1+1=2

Kretch 13-14: 12gp / 0+4=4
Marsh 13-14: 12gp / 0+5=5

But Kretch has a considerably larger body of playoff experience to absorb those off-year numbers. (150% number of games over 7 trips to the playoffs vs Marshand's 4 trips)

Krejci lead playoffs in scoring... Marshand scored 2 goals in a SCF Game 7... We can go back and forth...

But as you said the numbers don't lie. And in the regular season, provided both guys keep up their current paces, you're spending considerably more for Krejci's production than you are relative to Marchand. (almost $118k/pt for DK vs. $90k/pt for BM) So you're getting a better return on your investment offensively for Marchy, plus he plays a heck of a lot more PK, etc.

DK's been injured a bit recently... Marchand's been pretty durable. Will that be a factor? I don't know.

Like I said - I prefer DK over BM.... But all things being equal, I think I keep Brad. And - in my opinion - I'm keeping the bias out of the equation, and the numbers aren't lying.

(FWIW - We're splitting hairs here - I have, in order: 1. Bergy 2. Dougie 3. Tuukka 4. Pasta 5.4 Marchand 5.6 Kretch)

boston77

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
You're absolutely right. Numbers don't lie. Throw the cap hit into your equations and see how the numbers work out.

Look - I love Kretch. I like him better than Marshand (true!)... All things being equal, I keep DK46 100 times out of 100 (and twice on Sunday)

But all things aren't equal when you add in cap hits.

The fact of the matter is that they've each had 2 dog years in the playoffs (in fact - both the same years: 2011-12 and 2013-14). They were both nearly identical in their absence:

Kretch 11-12: 7gp / 1+2=3
March 11-12: 7gp / 1+1=2

Kretch 13-14: 12gp / 0+4=4
Marsh 13-14: 12gp / 0+5=5

But Kretch has a considerably larger body of playoff experience to absorb those off-year numbers. (150% number of games over 7 trips to the playoffs vs Marshand's 4 trips)

Krejci lead playoffs in scoring... Marshand scored 2 goals in a SCF Game 7... We can go back and forth...

But as you said the numbers don't lie. And in the regular season, provided both guys keep up their current paces, you're spending considerably more for Krejci's production than you are relative to Marchand. (almost $118k/pt for DK vs. $90k/pt for BM) So you're getting a better return on your investment offensively for Marchy, plus he plays a heck of a lot more PK, etc.

****But you omit the playoff performance which for me is far more important. An MVP performance is more important than one game even it is a final. There are lots of guys that play great in the regular season but do nothing when it counts... like Nash for example...

DK's been injured a bit recently... Marchand's been pretty durable. Will that be a factor? I don't know.

Like I said - I prefer DK over BM.... But all things being equal, I think I keep Brad. And - in my opinion - I'm keeping the bias out of the equation, and the numbers aren't lying.

(FWIW - We're splitting hairs here - I have, in order: 1. Bergy 2. Dougie 3. Tuukka 4. Pasta 5.4 Marchand 5.6 Kretch)

I reverse Marchand with DK... but that's my opinion... if you want to talk cap hit then you have to look at Z... of what he is now and will be in 2 years he is a major liability... Like I said this is all a mute point because the decision to move a big contract has to start with Z given his age and deteriorating performance not with DK, he will not be moved in my opinion...

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
My top 5 are Bergeron, Krejci, Hamilton, Pastrnak and Rask, but for the right offer I'd trade anyone.

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
If we're going to do a complete rebuild a more realistic number to choose from would be between 10 and 15. No team is going to get rid of that many players at a time. FWIW I picked Bergeron, Pastrnak, Rask, Spooner and Lucic. Notice I did not pick any D-men. Surprising because, IMO, D-men are more important than forwards but, again MO, we have no D-men more important going forward than these 5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad