Pick 2 to start a team (Fedorov, Sakic, Forsberg, Malkin, Yzerman, Crosby)

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Crosby and Fedorov.

Crosby would be the face of the franchise, the captain, the top line offensive dynamo. While Fedorov would be the 2nd line amazing defensive forward star. A lot of the other players on the list already offer a lesser version of Crosby, but none on the list is close to the two-way game Fedorov played in his prime.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
You are probably right for Crosby, but was Forsberg foot issue caused by injuries or a very probable condition to re-occur in parallel universe ? Is very physical game is also a recurring factor. I agree that we cannot really use freak incident like a puck in the face here.

What is really tempting with Yzerman/Sakic combo for a franchise is the length of elite play.

Yzerman was elite from about age 18 to 36, offensive prime between 22 to 28, but he was still ppg in the playoff at 36.

Sakic was elite from about age 20 to 37.

That a very large 16 year's windows of 2 elite center in the playoff at the same time, you could easily achieve to get at least 2 different cup winning windows with 2 different supporting group being good enough in that time frame.

Elite is overused. I take the top player offensively any given season and anyone within 10% of him is elite for that year. In 06-07 Sakic had 100 points but Crosby had 120 and Thornton had 114,so I'd reserve the lofty "elite" performance to those 2 that year.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
For me it's Crosby-Fedorov or Crosby-Forsberg. But I'll also be pretty happy with quite literally any random 2 of the bunch, lol. Tough choosing.

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
Excuse me, do you seriously consider Joe Sakic to be hotter than Anna Kournikova?

Or do you think that Sakic would have put Sergei on the chain and let him suffer through the spasms of withdrawal, handily wiping off the spume from Sergei's sweaty face?

Chain and chaperone!

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
So I know there's been many threads comparing the one-two-punches of Yzerman & Fedorov to Sakic & Forsberg to Crosby & Malkin asking which duo you would take for your team.

THAT BEING SAID -

I'm wondering, as individuals (not pairs), which 2 would you take to build your team around? - You have a total blank slate for a roster.

- Evgeni Malkin
- Steve Yzerman
- Peter Forsberg
- Sidney Crosby
- Joe Sakic
- Sergei Fedorov

Pick any 2 and please give an explanation!

I'll go Yzerman and Sakic pretty easily. You're NEVER losing a faceoff when two of your lines are on the ice, so you are controlling the play, you are also getting Selke-caliber play from your center on at least two of your lines, when you have to kill penalties you're winning the majority of your faceoffs in your own zone, when you are on the powerplay you are winning the majority of faceoffs in the offensive zone. Oh yeah....and then there's the offensive side of things lol!

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Forsberg is so underrated it's not funny. Complete player in every sense of the word.

In their primes I'll take Foppa and Feds and I'll have the two best two-way players from the group and they'll score with anyone.

Foppa was more important than Sakic on those Avs teams. I won't say Feds was always more important than Yzerman...but I'd take Shanahan over both of them from those Wings teams.
Yeah Foppa is underrated. Funniest thing I've read all day.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
I'll take the 2 best players on the list.

ZCXgE.jpg

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
All healthy?

If yes, then Sid/Foppa, because its very tempting thought.

If with injuries and all that, then Sid/Sakic.

Conor Edwards

Oct 22, 2018
Detroit, MI
Unfair that I can have the 1-2 punch of Yzerman, maybe the best 2-way player ever to play the game, and Fedorov, who was dominant offensively and defensively for most of his great career.

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
Any combination will do. I would probably want a CAN/CAN punch the least. That would mean giving up too much skill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad