Pick 2 cap casualties for the Leafs

Which 2 should be moved for cap space?

• Total voters

NetflixandPhil

May 7, 2016
To resign Marner, Johnsson, and Kapanen and possibly get an upgrade at RD the Leafs will likely need to move out multiple contracts. Of these 5 players which 2 would you move out for cap space?

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Nylander can f*** off to the moon.

I’ve been ripped apart on HFLeafs the last three years for suggesting that Marner was the far more valuable player.

Please, Dubas. Get significant value back for this guy and I’ll never complain about you forever.

LaMasquerade

Mar 11, 2018
Tampere
It was kind of poetic that our multi million dollar baby gave up the puck for final kiss of death (1-4 goal in game 7 with 2½ mins to play).

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I mean Marleau would be pretty obvious, but that's not necessarily possible given all the circumstances. I think they'll just respect the veteran guy and the contract they handed out and keep him for 1 more year until his contract comes off. No need to spend some significant assets when there's other things you can do, and in a way it's nice to know you'll have that cap room coming up for 20/21.

Kadri i wouldn't move, Leafs don't have a similar type of player to replace him with and you always need depth down the middle. If AM or JT goes down Kadri can step up to the top 6 with ease. Besides, doesn't make sense to me to move a guy who makes 4.5M instead of the 6M he's worth right now. They're getting good value for him.

Admittedly i think if the Leafs want to find the perfect mix with this team Nylander is not part of it, that being said, this is the worst time to move him. He can't possibly be worse next year. I say keep him. Not just from asset management standpoint, but also publicity wise. Dubas said he's not going to trade him. At least give it another year lol.

So, my picks would be Brown and Zaitsev.

Although, by my calcs, if they could move out Zaitsev for no salary back, that solves their cap problems. I have a rough estimate of 86M+ to bring back the same team minus Jake Gardiner (replaced by Rosen) with Marner making 10M, Kappy and Johnsson bridging for combined ~7M, and 13F/7D making league min. So by freeing up 4M cap space, they would pretty much be set for next year with the same forward group, Dermott making the jump to top 4 and playing young guys in the bottom pair.

Of course, i don't know how hard it is to find a taker for Zaitsev, but i'd imagine not that hard. For example the Devils could use help on the blueline and they ton of cap space. Send some future assets with Zaitsev and a rebuilding team like the Devils who will want to get back in the playoffs next year can hit 2 birds with 1 stone by getting a player who helps now and assets that help them build their thing.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
Marleau has a 1 million dollar salary with a 6 mil cap hit. That makes him very movable to a cap floor team. The real question is whether or not he will waive the nmc

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Marleau has a 1 million dollar salary with a 6 mil cap hit. That makes him very movable to a cap floor team. The real question is whether or not he will waive the nmc

Can't imagine he does, good team + got to choose where to be, why would he move now

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Can't imagine he does, good team + got to choose where to be, why would he move now
hopefully to live somewhere warm and coast out the last season of his career where he's barely an NHL player somewhere that people won't notice, it might be less likely than him staying but also maybe a bigger possibility than we think. You'd have to think that a hall of fame player feels bad about not being able to keep up even as a complimentary piece to a very good core, and the Toronto media coverage is going to put a lot more pressure on that story than a cap floor team scenario.

Might be wishful thinking, but it does have some merits

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If they can, they should probably move Zaitsev and Marleau. I don't expect they can, though.

As a Flyers fan, I'd love to hear that Kadri was on the market; Fletcher's on record as wanting a 2C to let Patrick stay in a 3C role for now and give Frost more time to develop, and Couturier/Kadri/Patrick/Laughton down the middle is a very solid group.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Marleau is unmovable he should be taken off the list.

robidasisland1.jpg

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I said Marleau and Nylander for these reasons.

The Marleau signing is Lou Lamoriello's responsibility and Nylander re-singing was Kyle Dubas responsibility.

If Dubas finds a way to trade both of them he got rid of a problem that was his responsibility and another one which no one should fault him for.

Reactions: Voight

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
This list is dumb. Half of these players the Leafs wish they could dump aka Zaitsev, Marleau or Brown. You just signed Nylander so you saying the team has given up on him after half a season? Kadri is on a good contract so I'd take him anyday on the Oilers.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
As a Leafs fan, personally I want Dubas to move Kapanen. He is a great player, if kept in the bottom-6 and can utilize his speed to take advantage of lower competition. He doesn't have the hockey IQ to play a top-6 role and the play often dies on his stick as he skates into a corner and takes a bad angle shot. In my mind, there isn't a situation where Kapanen isn't overpaid on his next deal - I just hope it isn't the Leafs.

Would love if Marleau was moved, but don't really see a situation where that is realistic.

Zaitsev, same deal. Would like to see it, but don't imagine there are many takers right now. Then you have to replace him on the right side and the Leafs don't have anything there currently.

Kadri is all heart, and I would seriously be upset to see him moved.

Nylander is paid fine right now, and will be a bargain down the line. People quickly forgot how good of a player he is.

Brown is Brown. Good bottom-6er, with a bit heavier price tag. Plenty of teams would like to have him and I assume the Leafs aren't excited to move him.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Marleau and Zaitsev are you guys you’d want to move, but good luck on that. Kadri and Nylander are the guys that have value and are probably expendable.

Shad

Mar 5, 2011
Marleau is on a NMC? That makes the cap situation worse than I thought. As it stands with Marleau there is 13mil (assuming 83m cap) or so to sign Marner, Johnsson, Kapanen, and fill two NHL defensemen spots. Kadri at 4.5 is not a contract a cap bound team should be looking to trade, although they might be forced to.

If management can pull this off without a fire sale, I'll be impressed.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Nylander and Kadri because they would actually garner interest from other teams.

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
I think Marleau retires. Then we can move his cap hit to the Sens because Melnyck is cheap and makes it easier to hit the floor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad