Prospect Info: Pick #149: Michael Parks, RW, Cedar Rapids (USHL)

Mgkibbles

Dec 14, 2009
Gilbertsville, Pa
You are ridiculous. Teams don't pick straight off of CSB's list and never have. How many players selected in the 4th and 5th round have you seen play? Do you really think your reading on the internet is better than the dozens of scouts paid to actually do this for a living?

No it's not.

Yes it is. I do it all the time during the NFL Draft and my predictions on players are right more than they're wrong because I know the types of players that fail.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
DNFlyers

Just talked to Michael Parks, said he grew up watching Pat Maroon who was a few years older. Says he wants to be a more complete player.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Yes it is. I actually have seen a good number of prospects play, even in Europe. The writeups on the internet are from professional scouts. EJ McGuire, who once worked for the Flyers, is the head scout for CS. You dont think his assessments of players dont hold any gravitas?

No. Because as Shafer pointed out these pre draft rankings are NEVER followed. And a lot of teams prove to be right by going off of that board. You are also criticizing picks in late rounds where very few players even make the NHL. The team should have the right to go in whatever direction they want in these rounds, they are all longshots anyway, even your covetted guys that everyone else is passing on too

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
There are scouting reports available for a lot of these guys and its pretty simple to draw fair conclusions without having to watch the prospect play.

Hahaha. Are you kidding me? You 100% cannot judge a player just by reading about him. You can learn some stuff about him and see what kind of points he put up in a certain year, but you can't judge a player without having ever seen him play, no matter what you have read about him. It's a fifth round pick, after like round three, it's pretty much a crap shoot. He has just as much a shot as making it as anyone else selected in this area of the draft. (That's pretty much all you can know about a kid without having seen him play.)

bney7

Jan 4, 2008
Well considering, professional scouts HAVE seen these guys and rank guys like Pettersson and Thrush that high, that should say something, shouldnt it?

EDIT: Add Victor Ohman to that.
Well considering the scouts and officials from 30 teams all seem to disagree with those "professional scouts". So shouldn't that say something?

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
There's some other dynamic Euros available that aren't getting drafted either. I think it might have something to do with the growing strength of the KHL and 3rd-line Euros being 1st-line there, but we need any talent we can get.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but what, 90% of the players in the SCF were Canadians or Americans, right?

If our scouts think the players they wanted were the best options, so be it.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Hahaha. Are you kidding me? You 100% cannot judge a player just by reading about him. You can learn some stuff about him and see what kind of points he put up in a certain year, but you can't judge a player without having ever seen him play, no matter what you have read about him. It's a fifth round pick, after like round three, it's pretty much a crap shoot. He has just as much a shot as making it as anyone else selected in this area of the draft. (That's pretty much all you can know about a kid without having seen him play.)

Not only can you not know a kid without seeing him play, multiple times, but the scouts do more than that. They meet the players, talk to the coaches, meet the families.

Central Scouting may get a look at all the players, but it can never be an exact science.

Teams do their own scouting and use CSB as a second opinion.

Good managers let their scouts do their work then follow their advice.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
michael-parks-album-cover.jpg

hugehockeyfan88

Sep 6, 2008
http://stlouisselectshockeyclub.com/news.htm

Feb 3, 2009
Parks joins ranks of college bound players from St. Louis
St. Louis Selects Hockey Club is proud to announce Michael Parks, a junior at CBC, has accepted a verbal commitment for a full scholarship at the University of North Dakota. Michael, a forward, is the first player from the newly formed club team to commit to a D1 school.
“Michael’s work ethic, drive and team play have paid off with a full ride to one of the premier programs in the country. Michael has excelled at every level he has played and there is no limit to where this game could take him.” Gino Cavallini, Coach/Co Founder, St. Louis Selects HC.

Michael joined the US National Team at the Four Nations Cup last August in Slovakia after having a tremendous camp during the USA Hockey National festival earlier in July.

“It’s no surprise Michael had been receiving the attention of schools wherever we played this fall. He’s a dynamic player that puts you on the edge of your seat every time the puck is on his stick. He’s the type of player that would make any coach look good.” Paul Cavallini, Coach/Co Founder, St. Louis Selects HC.

Rick Deckard

Mar 30, 2006
Germany
Just found that excerpt on Future Considerations:

Cedar Rapids forward Michael Parks is a potential riser as the season progresses. He has average size, isn’t the best skater but his undeniable strength is creating offense. Parks has a nice set of hands and makes electrifying moves with the puck in one-on-one situations and also in tight around the net.

Valhoun*

Judging from the thread title I thought that I had found the coolest team name ever: The Cedar Rapists which, one assumes, would be an homage to the Evil Dead movies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00