Phoenix XXXVI - There's got to be a morning after

Status
Not open for further replies.

straka91*

St Louis, Dallas, Columbus and Pheonix are all having issues. But I bet Bettman would first pull the plug on Edmonton with the arena issues if given the chance.

I dont think St. Louis is anywhere near being in the same boat as Phoenix or Atlanta. Dallas will make it just fine imo unless the economy decides to go in a steep decline again.

This one year extension is a joke. The NHL needs to pony up and accept the losses it took and lower the price tag and terms of the sale. There has to be a price paid if you are keeping a struggling franchise in an area where its economy is struggling. The NHL had many chances to make back the money they lossed but let their ego or personal agenda get in the way.

Im very interested in seeing if this vote shows us some closure in Phx or Atl. This saga needs to end.

Last edited by a moderator:

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
In terms of financial, bottom line planning as part of what we assume is a strict 'dollars and cents' business plan, I agree. However, I think we're missing the mark if we assume that this monied 'bottom line' is the sole factor determining the NHL's business plan in the case of franchise relocation - or expansion. The NHL might be a business, but what type of business is it and what is its purpose? Is it simply a money making one through entertaining the public with organized sport? That's part of it. That's the niche business and what the majority of those identified with the 'face of the business' see.

Yet, within this is a more encompassing purpose the NHL is serving, which is not simply entertaining the public through sport and making money - but population management, itself. Managing the 'herd', in other words. Money and the bottom line, while important on some tiers of the overall business, are not the primary, motivating factors on other levels of the NHL's decision making and forecasting side of the business. I'd even argue that making money isn't the primary concern of the NHL's business plan.

I don't think we can really begin to understand what decisions get made or are likely to be made until we know how they are made and what factors are part of that process. Again, I think these other 'extra-financial' factors - and there are certainly others, too - are playing a big role in what's happening with this franchise.

This is however complicated by the fact that they are organized as franchises rather than a single corporate entity

manisback121

Feb 28, 2008
But the article posted today by GWI seems to quite clearly indicate that while they may still not like the agreement to shovel more money into the guarantee, they won't oppose it or launch a lawsuit. This quote seems to say that, at least the way I interpret it.

Then why have their head henchman at the meeting?

I never trust quotes like that over a contentious topic such as this, just plain old fishy and rotten if you ask me.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
So... Ice Edge Holdings officially withdraws from Phoenix Coyotes deal

http://www.azcentral.com/news/artic...m-phoenix-coyotes-deal-glendale.html#comments

Seriously.... were they ever in it?

Anthony LeBlanc, who led Ice Edge in most of its negotiations with Glendale, said it was time for the group to move on.

The tipping point was learning Friday about the council vote. The next day, Ice Edge notified Hulsizer that it was pulling out of the ownership group.

"It was purely a decision based on the fact we have been involved with this for two years," he said. "We just didn't feel comfortable spending any additional time on it."

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
This is however complicated by the fact that they are organized as franchises rather than a single corporate entity

As you know Othmar, the Alchemists planning the resurrection of the WHA intended to employ the Single Entity Formula. Unfortunately, the corrosive nature of so many disparate parts left Frankenstein quite lifeless in that DarkTower.
:frank:

billy blaze

May 31, 2009
Or...

It could mean that the NHL is making and encouraging business decisions rooted in factors that go beyond the bottom line.

For instance, it makes absolutely no sense from a strict, immediate, financial perspective why the NHL doesn't simply allow Phoenix to be purchased and relocated back to the market in Winnipeg where some financial stability will be realized for the franchise. There has to be other factors - long term, extra-contributing-to financial factors - which are motivating the NHL to keep the team in Phoenix at all costs - literally. A few that come to mind are population growth estimates, climate change, demographic projections of a given market, and long-term viability of the market in terms of it being population habitable.

answer who holds the bonds on the arena and you will get the answer as to why the NHL will not relocate this team

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd
So... Ice Edge Holdings officially withdraws from Phoenix Coyotes deal

http://www.azcentral.com/news/artic...m-phoenix-coyotes-deal-glendale.html#comments

Seriously.... were they ever in it?

Anthony LeBlanc, who led Ice Edge in most of its negotiations with Glendale, said it was time for the group to move on.

The tipping point was learning Friday about the council vote. The next day, Ice Edge notified Hulsizer that it was pulling out of the ownership group.

"It was purely a decision based on the fact we have been involved with this for two years," he said. "We just didn't feel comfortable spending any additional time on it."

IEH finally saw the writing on the wall... no Saskatoon games anytime soon.

As to where Glendale will get the $25 million this year.... raid the Emergency Snow Removal Fund which over the years has accumulated up to about a half a billion samolians...

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
So when does this shin-dig get on the tube tonight? It seems that the consensus on this board is that the deal will pass and this whole debacle will continue another year. Does anyone think that this will not pass tonight? Any growing business would have taken a product off their shelves if they were not able to sell it by two years. What makes Glendale/NHL so sure that they will find an owner? I understand that T.V. rights are important but if there is not enough support in Phoenix to make the team profitable then it is the best business decision to move the team till Arizona is ready/prepared to handle a hockey team.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

billy blaze

May 31, 2009
Sunnucks says both COG and Bettman asking Reinsdorf to come back

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2011/05/10/reinsdorf-may-be-back-in-the-picture.html

The city will take another run at Reinsdorf if the Glendale City Council approves another $25 million outlay to cover the team’s losses next season, and a deal can’t be struck soon with Hulsizer.

Personal friendships between Reinsdorf and Bettman, and Reinsdorf attorney John Kaites and Beasley, help continue to keep the Coyotes’ door open. Kaites has also been helping the NHL with its Coyotes dealings in Arizona.

GSC2k2*

Read or heard it is going to be Nick Dranias, GWIs chief litigator.
I thought Clint Bolick was their chief litigator.

I actually find it interesting that they have had a rotatign series of spokepeople. It is almost like everyone is getting their little chance in the spotlight, no?

Sitren. Then Olsen. Then Bolick. Then Cohen (the really pushy lawyer in the GWI/COG meeting). Then Dranias.

Kinda like you might run a fundraising plea. Trot everyone out, one at a time.

Interesting to me, anyway.

GSC2k2*

IEH finally saw the writing on the wall... no Saskatoon games anytime soon.

As to where Glendale will get the $25 million this year.... raid the Emergency Snow Removal Fund which over the years has accumulated up to about a half a billion samolians...

How much is that in dollars (apologies to Homer Simpson)?

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd
How much is that in dollars (apologies to Homer Simpson)?

lol

iirc the exchange rate favored the samolian last month about 1.04 to 1 dollar - don't quote me on that though my source has been highly unreliable since he heard the rapture is impending...er, I mean imminent ;)

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Makes sense for Reinsdorf to move in now. He buys the team at a reduced price so the NHL gets off the hook for the Yotes. But at the same time the COG has already approved an agreement to cover the losses that has the ability to be extended for 10 years. Basically it's a nice way of subsidizing the team. I'm also assuming that the agreement is transferrable or there is some way to keep that in place despite the NHL not being the owner of the team.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
BizNasty2point0: Big night 4 Yotes Nation. Glendale city council decides if we are staying in AZ another year. C'mon, 25 sheetz isn't that much. #MakeItRain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad