Phoenix XXVI: Pain in the AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

tradeyoumooseforjets

Jan 6, 2011
Holds her own?

I held off on listening to that interview, because at the end of the day it matters little, but I had a few minutes, so ...

This is true Monty Python Black Knight material, when all these folks suggest that she held her own and that the interviewers were jokes or whatever the appellation du jour is.

Olsen was positively dismantled from start to finish. At the end, she was actually pulling her version of a Bettman, making sarcastic little remarks to the hosts who were destroying her every vacant talking point.

I especially loved the part where she was talking about the "creativity" of Glendale residents in bringing concerts or "ice capades" to Jobing.com, as if all you need to get some concerts is a little gumption and some "creativity". It reminded me of the "hey, let's put on a show!!!" attitude of '50s movies with Frankie Avalon and Annette Funicello.

Laughable.

For the record, Ms. Olsen is a career political "person" who has pretty much never held a real job in private enterprise in her adult life. You cannot really appreciate business from inside the GOP cocoon of the Cato Institute (and if you think Goldwater is rightwing ... well, they are, but Cato gives them a run for their money) and GWI.

Edit: One more thing. As I asserted many pages ago, this nonsense of "OMG, hundreds of pages still being delivered" was utter nonsense. Drafts of the MUDA, and the parking agreements. Rubbish it was, and rubbish it remains.

Hilarious, the 2 guys interviewing come across as complete morons. I love the respone to Darcy O when she said, Glendale is already in deep deep debt and there is no guarantee that after spending another 100 million that the team doesn't still leave in another couple years, and were left with even deeper debt and the same situation. Remember this is a team that lost 40million the last 2 years and has never made money. Interviewers response, well at least we should try, and new management things might be different. :laugh:

berklon

Dec 24, 2008
I also don't understand why Mr. Hulsizer doesn't just pay the $170 million and buy the team. Mr. Bettman believes in the market and he is the commisioner of the NHL.

Hell, if the NHL believes in the market so much - what's the rush to sell the team? The NHL should hang onto it for another year or two. And since Bettman and the BOG can do no wrong, then it would make them great owners and they'd turn this franchise around financially.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
BTW, who is this Bolick's guy?

Clint. Clint Bolick. Attorney with the Goldwater. Gadfly & Bon Vivant. Looks like he may be in charge of Fundraising as well; targeting the large & lucrative market in Winnipeg. :shakehead

They said he was wearing a coyotes sweater not a jets jersey. However, don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Actually, I heard the original posting featured Our Man Clint in a Jets Jersey, but he yanked it as perhaps going just a tad too far. Either way, and I really could care less, what is he doing joining a Jets Facebook page in light of the sensitivity amongst his own kit & kin in Arizona besides looking for a new source of donations?.

GSC2k2*

Then shut them up and follow through and sue them.

That is EXACTLY WORD FOR WORD what any reasonable person might say to the GWI in response to their 75 statements that "it seems like it may possibly be that there is a chance that subject to further review the deal might possibly be illegal ... maybe ..." :laugh:

You have point but the COG could use legal remedies to remedy the interference by tort (???) situation yet have chosen not to. I.e. they could sue GWI for issuing the warning letter to financial institutions but haven't. Any ideas why they haven't?

While, as i have said, my approach would have been to distrust GWI from the start and obtain a declaratory order, I am admittedly in tough when it comes time to engage in the fine art of political equations. Assessing leverage and negotiation points in large commercial transactions is completely different than figuring out political calculus (partly because there is often such a disconnect between what is supposed to be the goal - public service) and the actual goals and motivations of the players (re-election, self-monument building, etc.). That being said, two things come to mind as to why they do not want to:

1. The optics of suing a self-professed taxpayer group is terrible. Even if they are nothing short of political hacks themselves, the CoG councillors and mayor would be handing their political opponents juicy political raw meat by doing so.

2. IF they do sue, it will be because one of two things have happened - (1) MH and the NHL have abandoned the deal, in which case CoG are out hundreds of millions, or (2) they have sold the bonds at a premium interest rate, in which case CoG are only out $50-100 M or so.

It puzzles me why so many would think it is so easy for CoG to jump joyfully into either of those unpalatable options, particularly since GWI is not going to be good for the damages on either of those suits. Yet there are those who would suggest that, at this point in time, the CoG would do it if only they felt better about their case.

They feel fine about their case. It is the crap sandwiches with a glass of crap cola and a side order of crap chips they have to eat, both politically and commercially, if they choose either door (although they do have several ways to mitigate the impact of a bond issuance at a higher price if they were to go that way).

If I were them at THIS point (putting aside what I might have done earlier), I would be leaning hard on Moyes to do something to get them turned around, so that he can have a chance to recoup some of the remaining monies from the bankrupt estate. I imagine moyes still has an interest in snatching back the millions still in there.

Krautso

Nov 30, 2007
Clint. Clint Bolick. Attorney with the Goldwater. Gadfly & Bon Vivant. Looks like he may be in charge of Fundraising as well; targeting the large & lucrative market in Winnipeg. :shakehead

Actually, I heard the original posting featured Our Man Clint in a Jets Jersey, but he yanked it as perhaps going just a tad too far. Either way, and I really could care less, what is he doing joining a Jets Facebook page in light of the sensitivity amongst his own kit & kin in Arizona besides looking for a new source of donations?.

Man what have we become that we need to follow the internet habits of some attorney working for GWI to try and dig up some dirt.

CoG needs to piss or get off the pot so we can move on to the next 30 threads dedicated to the Atlanta Thrashers.

billy blaze

May 31, 2009
http://www.winnipegsun.com/sports/columnists/paul_friesen/2011/03/11/17589501.html

At the same time, Bettman can’t leave Winnipeg’s True North Sports twisting in the wind for too long, assuming that’s whose hands he’ll eventually want the franchise in.

So this whole mess will quickly go from a desperate salvage attempt to damage control.

And just to throw another crazy idea out there: considering money does, indeed, make the NHL’s world go ’round, could the man who runs it decide he’d like one or two more groups to bid for the franchise?

Or does he have a formal enough agreement with True North that he’ll feel obliged to honour?

AEG Arenas

Sprint Center - Kansas City
Key Arena- Seattle
Rose Garden- Portland
XL Center- Hartford

Other

Coliseum @ Richfield- Cleveland
Toyota Centre- Houston

GSC2k2*

Hilarious, the 2 guys interviewing come across as complete morons. I love the respone to Darcy O when she said, Glendale is already in deep deep debt and there is no guarantee that after spending another 100 million that the team doesn't still leave in another couple years, and were left with even deeper debt and the same situation. Remember this is a team that lost 40million the last 2 years and has never made money. Interviewers response, well at least we should try, and new management things might be different. :laugh:
Admittedly the best answer there was, well, when they leave in two years the CoG will recoup its $100M through the ~$250M in LD's that will have to be paid before Hulsizer would get a nickel in the proceeds of any sale on his part.

GSC2k2*

Man what have we become that we need to follow the internet habits of some attorney working for GWI to try and dig up some dirt.

CoG needs to piss or get off the pot so we can move on to the next 30 threads dedicated to the Atlanta Thrashers.
Clint Bolick is not "some attorney". He is the undisputed star of their show.

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
http://www.winnipegsun.com/sports/columnists/paul_friesen/2011/03/11/17589501.html

AEG Arenas

Sprint Center - Kansas City
Key Arena- Seattle
Rose Garden- Portland
XL Center- Hartford

Other

Coliseum @ Richfield- Cleveland
Toyota Centre- Houston

Are any of these potential owners in a position to pay 210M + transfer fees ? The NHL needs to squeeze every penny they can out of TNSE right now. Negotiations will take a bit of time. And if something in the meantime changes in Glendale, then these negotiations can be terminated. I'd be surprised if any other buyers were in the mix right now.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Solidly substance-free response. I am sure your response reflects the views of many who would busy themselves clicking madly.

Are you sure you can handle this game with me? Based on past experience I would say not. Can you make a post which talks only in fact and isn't a derogatory jab at someone? Olsen is an moron. Sitren is a moron. Shoalts is a moron. Lawless is a moron. Winnipeggers are mostly morons. Experts are morons. This is getting old. Funny thing about most of these people, that have it so wrong, are in elite positions. I have no idea how any of this passes here.

PitbulI

Dec 22, 2010
The funny thing that GWI says is when the parking is brought into topic. Why doesn't Hullsizer pay the whole price and get revenue from parking?

I find this so funny. The parking joke is simply a way the COG could make an excuse for giving Hullsizer money. No intelligent business man would ever think that charging for parking at jobing.com arena would be a smart venture or a way to offset losses from the Coyotes.

This won't go to court because the GWI will simply point out the same prospective losses the COG will.

COG will point out lost taxes from Westgate.
The GWI will point out management fees, bonds. Not just for 5 years but for a lot longer than that.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
Holds her own?

I held off on listening to that interview, because at the end of the day it matters little, but I had a few minutes, so ...

This is true Monty Python Black Knight material, when all these folks suggest that she held her own and that the interviewers were jokes or whatever the appellation du jour is.

Olsen was positively dismantled from start to finish. At the end, she was actually pulling her version of a Bettman, making sarcastic little remarks to the hosts who were destroying her every vacant talking point...

For the record, Ms. Olsen is a career political "person" who has pretty much never held a real job in private enterprise in her adult life. You cannot really appreciate business from inside the GOP cocoon of the Cato Institute (and if you think Goldwater is rightwing ... well, they are, but Cato gives them a run for their money) and GWI.

Edit: One more thing. As I asserted many pages ago, this nonsense of "OMG, hundreds of pages still being delivered" was utter nonsense. Drafts of the MUDA, and the parking agreements. Rubbish it was, and rubbish it remains.

Nice hit job on Ms. Olsen's accomplishments. She's "never held a real job"? You know what, if that's true and she's making a decent living, maybe that is a real accomplishment -- just another way to look at it. :dunno:

You always seem to come down on the side that supports position X and opposes position Y, regardless of the actual point in consideration. One might assume that occasionally the position you are apparently opposed to might have a point going for it now and then, but you almost never seem to see that way. Now if you would admit your bias that would be fine. To my knowledge you haven't done that though.

GHOST :)

PitbulI

Dec 22, 2010
I too detect some bias. I'm bias myself to a point but even if I wasn't, I could see the points both parties are trying to make.

Coach

Dec 18, 2010

Please show the picture if it existed Coyote fans would have it everywhere. See post 979 which talks about the coyote sweater that has people talking. The page was in support of Goldwater and yes they would prefer the team went North than have the taxpayers pay for it. Have Hulsizer pay the 170 million and Goldwater will back off.

objectiveposter

Jan 29, 2011
this was an interesting statement by bollick:
The law firms who were asked to analyze the deal were given a set of facts by the City, including the assumption that the team owned the parking rights. I would not have expected those firms to dig beneath what the City told them. Our job is to do just that.

so the law firms just assumed glendale doesnt own the parking rights? ....sounds fishy to me

RECCE

The Dog House
Apr 29, 2010
Margaritaville
Please show the picture if it existed Coyote fans would have it everywhere. See post 979 which talks about the coyote sweater that has people talking. The page was in support of Goldwater and yes they would prefer the team went North than have the taxpayers pay for it. Have Hulsizer pay the 170 million and Goldwater will back off.

+1 Put up or shut up.

Isn't that the order of the day in this here thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad