Phoenix XXVI: Pain in the AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!
I believe she offered Bettman (who is a lawyer), the CoG and Hulsizer the opportunity to discuss the deal in front of the media with her. She is ducking no one.

It is a ruse. She knows that Bettman will not have a question and answer period "press conference" style. If the GWI is the unquestionable voice of reason, they should have no trouble discussing the legality of the deal with all of the parties involved and report back to the media afterwards.

buyinnow

Mar 7, 2010
Holds her own?

I held off on listening to that interview, because at the end of the day it matters little, but I had a few minutes, so ...

riiight. I don't like Jersey Shore. I only watch it because my girlfriend likes it.

Olsen was positively dismantled from start to finish. At the end, she was actually pulling her version of a Bettman, making sarcastic little remarks to the hosts who were destroying her every vacant talking point.

If by dismantled you mean treated rudely, I agree.

I especially loved the part where she was talking about the "creativity" of Glendale residents in bringing concerts or "ice capades" to Jobing.com, as if all you need to get some concerts is a little gumption and some "creativity". It reminded me of the "hey, let's put on a show!!!" attitude of '50s movies with Frankie Avalon and Annette Funicello.

Laughable.

Why would they even ask her what should be done at Jobing? She has nothing to do with that. Who cares what she said.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
..... "hey, let's put on a show!!!" attitude of '50s movies with Frankie Avalon and Annette Funicello.

Well ya Daddy'O. Beach Blanket Bingo II, featuring "Winnie" the Harp Seal, rescued by our very own Lil' Miss Muffet, Darcy Olsen.... Hit it Chuck. No no. I mean REALLY hit those bingo skins Man...

RECCE

The Dog House
Apr 29, 2010
Margaritaville
It is a ruse. She knows that Bettman will not have a question and answer period "press conference" style. If the GWI is the unquestionable voice of reason, they should have no trouble discussing the legality of the deal with all of the parties involved and report back to the media afterwards.

Riiiight, and all the while the league, CoG or MH are saying "We didn't say that"...

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
I am not taking your post to task, because arguing over whether she was "dismantled" (my word) or "Stumbled" is an unproductive discussion (although that would qualify it for this thread ;)), but I do want to address one strawman that you mention.

Specifically, I want to address your assertion that "they do have a right to speak their mind". Firstly, NO serious commenter here or elsewhere has ever argued that they must be silent. Yet, every time this gets discussed, this line gets thrown out there as if anyone were arguing they do not have a right to an opinion. It is the very essence of a strawman.

Secondly, and most importantly, much as free speech is not an absolute unfettered right for individuals, it is not an unfettered right for political organizations or anyone commeting on a proposed business transaction. If you sit back and look at the tort of intentional intereference with economic or prospective economic relations, from a lay point of view it is pretty much akin to slander of individuals, only applied to an economic setting. No one, whether a person, a political entity or a self-professed "watchdog" :biglaugh:, can simply make up whatever they want without being subject to a requirement to demonstrate the truth or fair comment of their statement. Again - everyone is entitled to HAVE an opinion, but when you start expressing that opinion, you are subject to the law of the land as well.

Then shut them up and follow through and sue them.

Dado

It's nice to see all these interested parties showing so much concern for the fans.

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!
Riiiight, and all the while the league, CoG or MH are saying "We didn't say that"...

It is likely, but we can't assume the net results on something that has not, nor will not ever come to pass.

The GWI would at least look like they are trying to help the situation if they agreed to dialogue. They are just playing the role of "**** blocker"... I always hated that annoying friend at the bar...

billy blaze

May 31, 2009

Hulsizer has agreed to take up Olsen's invitation to meet in a public forum with the media present, NHL and COG not so much

Coach

Dec 18, 2010

Hulsizer should just pay the 170 million and shut her up. That would show her and put Goldwater in its place.

Krautso

Nov 30, 2007
I am not taking your post to task, because arguing over whether she was "dismantled" (my word) or "Stumbled" is an unproductive discussion (although that would qualify it for this thread ;)), but I do want to address one strawman that you mention.

Specifically, I want to address your assertion that "they do have a right to speak their mind". Firstly, NO serious commenter here or elsewhere has ever argued that they must be silent. Yet, every time this gets discussed, this line gets thrown out there as if anyone were arguing they do not have a right to an opinion. It is the very essence of a strawman.

Secondly, and most importantly, much as free speech is not an absolute unfettered right for individuals, it is not an unfettered right for political organizations or anyone commeting on a proposed business transaction. If you sit back and look at the tort of intentional intereference with economic or prospective economic relations, from a lay point of view it is pretty much akin to slander of individuals, only applied to an economic setting. No one, whether a person, a political entity or a self-professed "watchdog" :biglaugh:, can simply make up whatever they want without being subject to a requirement to demonstrate the truth or fair comment of their statement. Again - everyone is entitled to HAVE an opinion, but when you start expressing that opinion, you are subject to the law of the land as well.

Speaking of strawman. Who is arguing otherwise? Nobody said that GWI or anyone has the right to slander or commit intentional interference.

billy blaze

May 31, 2009
It is likely, but we can't assume the net results on something that has not, nor will not ever come to pass.

The GWI would at least look like they are trying to help the situation if they agreed to dialogue. They are just playing the role of "**** blocker"... I always hated that annoying friend at the bar...

all it would take is for a private individual or corporation to back the bonds- GWI goes away.........

well maybe they go away there's the pesky arena management fee......

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James

You have point but the COG could use legal remedies to remedy the interference by tort (???) situation yet have chosen not to. I.e. they could sue GWI for issuing the warning letter to financial institutions but haven't. Any ideas why they haven't?

GSC2k2*

They said he was wearing a coyotes sweater not a jets jersey. However, don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

So all I have to do to make you guys love me is get a photo of myself wearing a JETS jersey and post it here? Awesome.

BTW, who is this Bolick's guy?

He is IMO the key guy at Goldwater. He is their head counsel at their litigation shop (which is their only claim to any kind of significance). He is a fairly esteemed attorney, from what i have read.

it is not Olsen's Bolick's, Sitren's nor GWI's job to get creative in finding a way to keep the Coyotes in Glendale, it is the COG's, Hulsizer's and NHL's job to remove taxpayer from the equation and get said GWI and "right wing think tanks" to go away

No, you are completely mistaken. The CoG, or any political unit, has the right to enter into commercial transactions with private entities in order to advance the interests of their taxpayers. You seem to suggest that they have no business even doing this deal for a nickel. That is an ultra-libertarian POV; if you maintain it, good for you, but you are signifcantly out of step with reality if you want to advance that approach. BTW, I noted Olsen's hilarious suggestion that CoG residents get creative with booking more "ice capades". :laugh: Don't take "creative" out of context, thanks. CoG has a legal transaction, and one that is the best available option given Moyes' disgraceful, heedless and unneeded move into bankruptcy. As such, they need not be compelled to remove the taxpayer to satisfy a rightwing political entity engaging in politics.

I believe she offered Bettman (who is a lawyer), the CoG and Hulsizer the opportunity to discuss the deal in front of the media with her. She is ducking no one.

I cannto believe that anyone is taking that seriously.

I guess it's all in how you read into it. She certainly did get thrown under the bus, with the guy who signed up for the facebook page. Really that's all I seen that could be viewed as being dismantled.

I expect that she will be giving Bolick a tongue-lashing in private. I was not aware he did that. How dumb.

Didn't you enjoy that Bettmanish lashing out at the interviewers at the end?

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Then shut them up and follow through and sue them.
It'd be interesting if the team moves - which, once again, is unlikely - and CoG sues Goldwater back to the stone age. I'm no fan of far-right think tanks either, though I did once interview for a job at the Fraser Institute in my younger, more desperate days.

RAgIn

Oct 21, 2010
Sudbury, Ont
Coyotes hand grenade

Because publicly acknowledging the Coyotes are leaving, with games still to play at the Jobing.com Arena, would crater any efforts to sell tickets down the stretch or even in the post-season.

Remember that last lame-duck Jets season? A lame Coyote would be worse.

We in Winnipeg may have continued to show up to pay our last respects, but I can’t see the average Arizonian doing the same.

Quite likely why Bettman hasn't given a deadline. IMO.

Plus, if the deal doesn't go through, Hulsizer won't have to pay the tab, thus the City will be paying it. Any surplus loses would go to the NHL, and to the new purchase price for relocation (TNSE).

Remember, the City of Glendale agreed to cover losses of up to $25 million this season, giving it time to find a buyer after potential deals with Jerry Reinsdorf and Ice Edge Holdings fell through.

Hulsizer agreed to pick up this season’s losses, but that’s only if he takes over the team. If he’s out of the picture, Glendale’s back on the hook, and won’t that go over well with the folks at the Goldwater Institute.

But there’s more. The Coyotes, 29th in attendance with an average announced crowd of less than 12,000, are reportedly on track to lose $40 million this season.

That leaves a nice little $15 million for the team’s current owner, the NHL, to pick up — a number that will only grow if attendance goes completely into the tank.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/sports/columnists/paul_friesen/2011/03/11/17589501.html

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

Well, she did say in an interview that no, it wouldnt be a phalanx of reporters all shouting questions over one another........ like a pod of Killer Whales tearing apart a Seal..... Sorry, where was I?. Oh ya. Darcy said she really meant there'd be like, just one or 2 well behaved reporters allowed in. Like Court Reporters. Stenographers. Dispassionate & disinterested. Nothing to worry about.

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!
Hulsizer has agreed to take up Olsen's invitation to meet in a public forum with the media present, NHL and COG not so much

Yup, still waiting for Olsen to name the time and place. That guy is charged with a lot of "Waiting"...

Hulsizer should just pay the 170 million and shut her up. That would show her and put Goldwater in its place.

:laugh: Yup

GSC2k2*

Well ya Daddy'O. Beach Blanket Bingo II, featuring "Winnie" the Harp Seal, rescued by our very own Lil' Miss Muffet, Darcy Olsen.... Hit it Chuck. No no. I mean REALLY hit those bingo skins Man...
I knew you'd love that one. Rest assured, though, that you are still the King of cultural references on HF BoH Board. Thank yuh, thank yuh very much!

I'll stop now.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada

I also don't understand why Mr. Hulsizer doesn't just pay the $170 million and buy the team. Mr. Bettman believes in the market and he is the commisioner of the NHL. Furthermore, after purchasing the team Mr. Hulsizer could have companies bid on the parking rights and collect his $100 million. It all seems so simple, what the heck is holding this up? It seems so very obvious.:laugh:

RECCE

The Dog House
Apr 29, 2010
Margaritaville

But what if they were trying to prevent you from getting the drip? :sarcasm: :naughty:

GSC2k2*

Speaking of strawman. Who is arguing otherwise? Nobody said that GWI or anyone has the right to slander or commit intentional interference.
Plenty of folks, right here on this very board. Deel free to scour the hundreds of posts to dig up examples.

Equivalence does not always work.

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!
all it would take is for a private individual or corporation to back the bonds- GWI goes away.........

well maybe they go away there's the pesky arena management fee......

Well, she did say in an interview that no, it wouldnt be a phalanx of reporters all shouting questions over one another........ like a pod of Killer Whales tearing apart a Seal..... Sorry, where was I?. Oh ya. Darcy said she really meant there'd be like, just one or 2 well behaved reporters allowed in. Like Court Reporters. Stenographers. Dispassionate & disinterested. Nothing to worry about.

Yup... excercising the ole Grandstanding muscle..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad