Phoenix XLV: You can't YANDLE the truth!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Yes. They could have informed the Judge that they would not object to Balsillie moving the team. Also they could have fought to insist that the original AMULA remain intact. Instead, they chose to go along with the NHL's position.

I recall Judge Baum questioning the City's attorney with an "Are you sure you want to do this?" question when they gave up their right to fight for the AMULA. I do not recall the Judge telling the City that Balsillie was the better choice..

As it were, Judge Baum decided the case on the issue of protection of the NHL's rights, so telling the City that Balsillie had a better position would have been at cross purposes for him.

So if Glendale supported the original AMULA, that would have been enough in the court's eyes to support that position over the direct objection of the owners? Or would it have simply given more weight to the Balsillie position when considering which bids to reject or accept?

Like, if Glendalle supported the AMULA, would the team have been 100% moving to Hamilton that next year or 2?

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
Bettman is a lawyer. And there are no such things as honest, kind hearted lawyers.

Trust me I considered being one for a long time, I don't have the evil gene in me.

Scottrocks58*

So if Glendale supported the original AMULA, that would have been enough in the court's eyes to support that position over the direct objection of the owners? Or would it have simply given more weight to the Balsillie position when considering which bids to reject or accept?
As I said, the decision was based upon the inability of the court to put a price tag on the damage done to the NHL by a relocation to Hamilton against their wishes. Since the damage wasn't quantifiable, the court, or rather Balsillie, had no way to make the NHL whole should the court award the team to RimJim. If I understand the decision correctly, the position of the City was irrelevant.

Like, if Glendalle supported the AMULA, would the team have been 100% moving to Hamilton that next year or 2?

Balsillie wanted the court to strike down the AMULA. Without striking down the AMULA there is no relocation of the team. If Glendale had fought to protect the AMULA they would have pitted themselves against both the NHL and Balsillie.

barneyg

Apr 22, 2007
I am not so sure that the NHL and its owners don't care about the PR. They didn't have much choice in Atlanta, but they do in Phoenix. They could break even just by applying the relocation fee from the Thrasher deal to cover the deficit.

Let me rephrase what I meant -- I believe they care about PR but they don't think it's worth 50 million dollars.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Let me rephrase what I meant -- I believe they care about PR but they don't think it's worth 50 million dollars.

That depends.

If you deliberately damaged their reputation, and they sued for defamation they would definitely think it is worth $50MM.

If they had to reach into their own pockets to spend money to protect their reputation, I wonder if they would think it is worth as much as 10 cents. Canadian. Without HST.

It depends on whether they are suing or defending.

rj

Jan 29, 2007
Indiana
The NHL represents a series of 29 owners. At the end of the day the priority is for the league to operate in the best interest of the group.

Lehman Brothers: "At the end of the day the priority for our company is to operate in the best interest of our stakeholders. It does not matter if that helped cause a global recession."

National Hockey League: "At the end of the day the priority is for the league to operate in the best interest of the group. It does not matter if that leads to a city declaring municipal bankruptcy."

The Municipality had a choice. They could have not paid the losses via the arena management fee, and started dealing with that reality. Instead they chose to spend the money in hopes of finalizing a deal. Choices were made and subsequent consequences are going to be felt.

Consequences will be felt by the residents of the city of Glendale. They will not be felt by Beasley, they will not be felt by Scruggs, they will not be felt by Bettman, they will not be felt by Daly: all the people making the decisions here.

I'm sorry, I just can't see the NHL being the bad guy. Their agenda has always been crystal clear in my eyes. Sell the team locally as long as the other owners don't lose money on the transaction.

And knowing what you do, provide me a credible outline for how that was ever going to occur beyond the NHL finding an idiot that would overpay for the team and did not screw over taxpayers (in other words, the NHL finds Moyes 2.0).

Killion: Why should [the NHL] take a bath on a local sale when they can recoup the lot through relo?. They could easily have facilitated a sale long ago locally if they were inclined to do so.

That's been my general point on this for two years. The only way the Coyotes staying in Phoenix makes sense is if:

1.) the NHL lowered their price - they're not going to do this, a.) they don't want to accept a loss, b.) it'd lower franchise values
2. they find an idiot to buy the team that doesn't understand money going out would not equal money coming in - every potential buyer we've seen was only in it as long as they were using Someone Else's Money, which means they didn't think it was a good investment
that leaves 3.) they screw over the taxpayers and they pay for it!

This was easy to see two years ago! But no, in the meantime the city of Glendale got bankrupted for no damn reason as we went to option #3.

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Bettman is a lawyer. And there are no such things as honest, kind hearted lawyers.... Trust me I considered being one for a long time, I don't have the evil gene in me.

Well, Im no Lawyer however in defense of the profession I strongly disagree with that statement. Sure you get the odd sharp practicing Loony Toon running wild out there, lousy people in all walks of life....

just do what I did years ago & buy yourself a Cattle Prod or Taser on the Blackmarket. Someone gets in your face zap em. You'll get caught occasionally, and guess who shows up to help you out?. Why, your new best friend, and a member of the Bar, or youd better hope so, because if not, your screwed. . :)

FakeKidPoker*

Last year on the eve of the playoffs a report came out saying the Coyotes were moving and everyone was furious and the team was "Distracted"

Now this year a report on the eve of the playoffs say the Team is staying... hmmmmm

jetsfan88

Apr 5, 2012
This is funny to watch its like on Jetsowner last year when everyone was so panicked over every media report of a local buyer in Atlanta keeping the team there.

Like I said then, everyone calm down enjoy the playoffs and don't worry about it. Atlanta is done. The media will twist and distort every word someone gives them.

Also the NHL does not want all the relocation talk going on as the team heads into the playoffs. They need to sell tickets after all.

All the spin doctors are going to be hard at work for the next couple of weeks.

A deal has been two weeks away for 3 years.

And I guarantee that unless the BOG are being kept in the dark this deal is no where near completion. I may only have 7 posts on here but if anyone cares to go look at my posts on the old jetsowner board over the past few years it will be abundantly clear that when it comes to the NHL I seem to have this uncanny knack at being right all the time.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
And I guarantee that unless the BOG are being kept in the dark this deal is no where near completion. I may only have 7 posts on here but if anyone cares to go look at my posts on the old jetsowner board over the past few years it will be abundantly clear that when it comes to the NHL I seem to have this uncanny knack at being right all the time.

Good for you. Everyone a round of applause for this man.

Too bad you missed the comments stemming from the executive session last night that said this is the best deal the city has ever seen and that they will work hard to see it come to light.

jetsfan88

Apr 5, 2012

Too bad you missed the comments stemming from the executive session last night that said this is the best deal the city has ever seen and that they will work hard to see it come to light.

I did not miss that at all. I don't need the media to keep me "informed" although I do enjoy the fiction sometimes

You can keep hanging on every word. Meanwhile I will be planning my trip to Quebec to see the Nords next year.

CrazyMonkey1208

Apr 9, 2012
Wait a minute, I thought the Hulshister deal was "the one"? (In other words, we've heard this before.) I think MH just wanted a free Coyotes hat and jersey:laugh:

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I did not miss that at all. I don't need the media to keep me "informed" although I do enjoy the fiction sometimes

You can keep hanging on every word. Meanwhile I will be planning my trip to Quebec to see the Nords next year.

I hope you have to cancel those trip plans.

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
Lehman Brothers: "At the end of the day the priority for our company is to operate in the best interest of our stakeholders. It does not matter if that helped cause a global recession."

National Hockey League: "At the end of the day the priority is for the league to operate in the best interest of the group. It does not matter if that leads to a city declaring municipal bankruptcy."

I don't recall the best interests of Lehman shareholders taken care of. I DO recall them taking it rough and raw.

Better than the deal with wonder boy Hulzinger or the one with IEH???

ebergeron

Mar 27, 2012
Quebec
www.websimhockey.com
Last year on the eve of the playoffs a report came out saying the Coyotes were moving and everyone was furious and the team was "Distracted"

Now this year a report on the eve of the playoffs say the Team is staying... hmmmmm

But the team stayed in Phoenix in the end.. Does it mean they'll move this year? lol

On more important news now.. FM93 in Quebec said the NHL was now inclined to lower the sale tag of the Coyotes at around 140M$ to allow Jamison some breathing room with his negociations with the COG in order to make it in compliance with the Goldwater institute.

Unforunately, I do not know where they got that information about the 140M$ but it doesn't make much sens when you know Peladeau has 230M$ ready for them.

Also and not the least is the ability of Jamison to gather the funds, even at 140M$. It's one thing to have 140M$ available, but it's another to have the backbone to absorb inevitable losses for years to come. Treliving said what's most important is the value of the team in 10 years need to be higher than the current value + losses over the next 10 years. Let's assume this is true and the value in 10 years would be higher.. The owner still need to be able to absord the losses year in year out. It's not an easy thing to swallow 20M$ a year.

Added to that, the 15-20 years of commitment required by the NHL.. When we add everything up it doesn't make much sense and yet...

aj8000

Jun 5, 2010
Consequences will be felt by the residents of the city of Glendale. They will not be felt by Beasley, they will not be felt by Scruggs, they will not be felt by Bettman, they will not be felt by Daly: all the people making the decisions here.

Do not forget all the coyotes fans who do not live and pay taxes in Glendale that went to the council meeting imploring them to pay the money to save the team.

Technically Scruggs (and likely Beasley and the rest of council) will pay since their taxes will go up to pay for this mess.

Furthermore, it will not only be the NHL to blame for Glendale going bankrupt, you might as well add MLB to the mix. Those calling for the NHL to give money back to Glendale should also ask the Sox and Dodgers to give some money to pay the baseball debt as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad