Phoenix XLIII: How to Bake Cupcakes in Less Than Two Weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Undertakerqc

Dec 24, 2011
I for one hope that this team relocate to Quebec city. For hockey to grow, you need a solid fan base, people who are totally devoted to their national sport, people that will fill your arena despite your team is loosing games after games. This will assure the whole league solid tickets revenues allowing the league to make this wonderful sport more and more known where it's unfortunately not.

Besides, I'm kind of upset that people from other provinces who are not paying a single cent from their pocket for this project but who will see new revenues brought in to their federal gov can criticize a decision that not only is not their business, but will bring new revenues to their own province via the fed fov. As former die hard Expo fan, I am happy now that the Qc gov. did not pay a new ball park for the Expos because they would probably have left anyway. Does this mean I am less sad? No.

Who is a human being to judge another one on the sole basis of little 5 or 6 lines they post not even in their own language?

MLB is a disfunctional league. Small market have no chance of winning on a consistent basis. No hard cap. Just look at the Bluejays, they are becoming the Expos #2. The stadium is emptying.

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
You can't grow hockey in a little over a decade with a crap team for the most part. When this team was playing at US Airways center they had enthusiastic fans. What's Quebec going to give the NHL in a long run? Sell out attendance is one thing but how about growth? The fact that they will be close to infringing on the habs territory and that team at any generation could be looking for a new owner. How many times have the Molson family owned the habs?

It's like the senators no one cares about them. If this team moves than I would prefer it move to seattle personally. The Pacific NW is vacant of NHL team and it helps with travel. Also there is more room for growth rather than quebec city.

Think what you want my friend, but do not judge people on little post they do on this board. Or better, cite those who are acting like birds of prey.

You will say Seattle is bigger then Qc city. Certainly.

Let me say Atlanta is bigger then Seattle.

Good evening my canadian neighbour. More then ever do I feel proud to be canadian.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I for one hope that this team does not relocate to Quebec city.. For hockey to grow you need to have a few generations in a city for it to be a part of everyone's collective psyche. Of course you need to win too.

Besides I'm kind of upset that the Quebec government is giving tax money to Quebec and just left the expos for dead. A team that put montreal on a North America map and my favourite NL team.

Also some posters from QC are just sharks circling the coyotes situation as prey. It's like they forgot how it felt to lose a team. I don't see bettman and co sending another team to Canada consecutively.

Expo 67 with the Expo's reinforcing the citys pride of place and one time jewel of Canada was/is a period piece. The 76 Olympics & 30yr debt over the Big 'O' thanks to Drapeau, the Levesque Referendum driving businesses & people out of the province in droves, there were many factors that forced the issue & eventual demise of the beloved Expos'. Montreal & Quebec City however are in fact separate realities, and as such, I for one support provincial funding of their arena.

If the NHL continues on with its inflexibility they'll have no other option but Quebec. Seattles nowhere close to being even remotely ready, KC's out, and unless theres some mystery buyer & city lurking in the weeds its QC or bust for the NHL. Money talks, bul$%&# walks. This is not a league with any conscience, plans on the fly, is totally reactive, and ya, I agree, Phoenix was never given a chance & still could work despite everything going against it. Never say die. You learn that in Tyke, Atom, Pee Wee... As for the "circling vultures", at least here on this thread most of the Quebecers' have in fact been respectful, empathetic.

Undertakerqc

Dec 24, 2011
You can't grow hockey in a little over a decade with a crap team for the most part. When this team was playing at US Airways center they had enthusiastic fans. What's Quebec going to give the NHL in a long run? Sell out attendance is one thing but how about growth? The fact that they will be close to infringing on the habs territory and that team at any generation could be looking for a new owner. How many times have the Molson family owned the habs?

It's like the senators no one cares about them. If this team moves than I would prefer it move to seattle personally. The Pacific NW is vacant of NHL team and it helps with travel. Also there is more room for growth rather than quebec city.

Not everything is about growing the game, How about rewarding cities that embrace the game already. Their needs to be a good mix. That growing the game thing is exactly what pisses so many canadians.

dronald

Mar 4, 2011
Hamilton, ON

I'm interested to know why you care about the, "growth" of Hockey in places like Arizona. What does this mean to you personally?

For me being a Leafs fan, I would think Quebec vs Toronto would be way more exciting than Phoenix vs Toronto.

Undertakerqc

Dec 24, 2011
I'm interested to know why you care about the, "growth" of Hockey in places like Arizona. What does this mean to you personally?

For me being a Leafs fan, I would think Quebec vs Toronto would be way more exciting than Phoenix vs Toronto.

A division of Montreal
Québec
Toronto
Toronto 2/ Hamilton
Ottawa
Boston
Buffalo
Would be awesome!!!

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Does Glendale have a "Good Faith" argument to make? The NHL does look like it is pricing the team well above market value in order to avoid a local sale. I recall Judge Baum questioning the City attorney if they are sure that they want to sign on to the agreement. The only possible way to go up against the NHL that I see would be to claim that the NHL had all intents to relocate the team and so priced the team so high and so negotiated the agreement in bad faith.

As CF has pointed out, it seems unlikely that the COG could take any legal action against the NHL since they have signed agreements giving the NHL the latitude they need to complete a sale on their terms.

Even if the NHL felt compelled to justify their asking price, at the very least they could indicate that the team is worth at least $140 million in Glendale, since that is what they paid. If you add on the generous concessions on the lease now being offered by the City of Glendale, the NHL could argue that it is worth even more than what they paid. Remember, Glendale was willing to pay $100 million just for the rights to the parking over the next 30 years, so the NHL must have a pretty hot property for sale there in Glendale. :naughty:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Just to add to my previous post, it is hard to argue that the price is too high since they already found at least one buyer prepared to pay that price --- Hulsizer. That deal fell through because the COG was not able to fulfill the conditions of the lease that they negotiated with Hulsizer and approved at city council. I suppose that Glendale could now try to argue that the lease was unfair to them because they were giving too many concessions, but then they could be easily countered by their own assertions at the time that they were paying fair market value for the parking and arena management.

COG, meet your own petard, but be careful with it...

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Not everything is about growing the game, How about rewarding cities that embrace the game already. Their needs to be a good mix. That growing the game thing is exactly what pisses so many canadians.
You lost your team the first time Pat. Come on.

He doesn't want to cheer for a overgrown CFL league, that's why he prefers the big american cities. I just like QC which why I support them. I rather see NY Rangers or Philadephia or Chicago.

KLu

Jul 15, 2004
Quebec City
You lost your team the first time Pat. Come on.

He doesn't want to cheer for a overgrown CFL league, that's why he prefers the big american cities. I just like QC which why I support them. I rather see NY Rangers or Philadephia or Chicago.
I never understood the argument about the CFL, you are referring to the Canadien Football League? If so, I still don't understand. You guys would not cheer if 8 teams on 30 were in Canadien soil while Canadiens represent 50% of the players... Someone has to explain and detail this CFL thing to me once and for all. All I can see is that this argument is based on pure ignorance and prejudice from Americans but I might be wrong.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
I never understood the argument about the CFL, you are referring to the Canadien Football League? If so, I still don't understand. You guys would not cheer if 8 teams on 30 were in Canadien soil while Canadiens represent 50% of the players... Someone has to explain and detail this CFL thing to me once and for all. All I can see is that this argument is based on pure ignorance and prejudice from Americans but I might be wrong.

the cfl is minor league. 6 out of 8 teams make the playoffs and some(not all) of the rules are bush league. getting a point even if you miss a field goal is the dumbest thing i've ever heard. you get rewarded for failing. i don't care how big the endzones are.

KLu

Jul 15, 2004
Quebec City
the cfl is minor league. 6 out of 8 teams make the playoffs and some(not all) of the rules are bush league. getting a point even if you miss a field goal is the dumbest thing i've ever heard. you get rewarded for failing. i don't care how big the endzones are.
As I don't watch many CFL football games, I can't disagree with you about that, I just don't know, but even if the CFL has dumb rules and sucks in general, what's the link with Hockey, Canadian teams follow the NHL rules...

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
As I don't watch many CFL football games, I can't disagree with you about that, I just don't know, but even if the CFL has dumb rules and sucks in general, what's the link with Hockey, Canadian teams follow the NHL rules...[/QUOTE]

good point. and americans and canadians should just play the same rules in football like every other sport

Last edited:

Lars65

Useless Git
Sep 6, 2011
Winnipeg
Canadian football's history is just as long as the U.S.'s. Why should we change? There's also Australian rules football and various types of rugby, all based on the original football. AKA soccer. Just accept it as a similar but different sport. On that note ever seen Finnish baseball? Now that's a strange sport.

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON
I think it's safe to say that all but two of the posts on this page are headed for the oblivion of the delete button...:facepalm:

Oh well back to television...

:tvhappy:

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
As I don't watch many CFL football games, I can't disagree with you about that, I just don't know, but even if the CFL has dumb rules and sucks in general, what's the link with Hockey, Canadian teams follow the NHL rules...
Thats how Toronto sports and some others feel. Although to be clear I support QC 100% and I dont think that necessarily applies here.

Northender

Feb 11, 2012
Canadian football's history is just as long as the U.S.'s. Why should we change? There's also Australian rules football and various types of rugby, all based on the original football. AKA soccer. Just accept it as a similar but different sport. On that note ever seen Finnish baseball? Now that's a strange sport.

This topic has officially entered the realm of the weird.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
edit: it's not worth discussing that ridiculous CFL comment, what was I thinking!

I hope the whole Phoenix situation is finished soon, my sanity cant take another year of this.

Last edited:

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Do you have any idea of why the Nords left QC City?

It sure doesn't seem like it.
I know about the low dollar and Marcel being a jerk. I was simpling refuting pats point that passion means sucess or the NHl will keep a team in a location. The leauge does not work like that.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad