Phoenix XCVII: Forget it, Jake. It's Glendale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Only numbers Anthony Le Blancs got/needs
programmed on Speed Dial in his Blackberry.

Way to complicated, I see LeBlanc having something like this... :laugh:

jbug_phone_promo1.jpg

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Interesting opinion...

I wonder if LeBlanc will be calling her to buy a suite...

To quote:

"Speaking of the press, one could surmise that the negatively slanted coverage on many of the TV channels, newspapers and radio stations reflects an East Valley-bias. That may or may not be true. But that certainly does not explain the deafening silence from West Valley cities who have so much to lose if Westgate implodes. In May 2011, the elected heads of 11 of Maricopa County’s western cities and towns signed a letter in The Arizona Republic, stating that losing the Coyotes would damage the region’s economic prosperity. We haven’t heard anything from them since. The quiet has been strange and very disappointing." - Kathy Knecht is the executive director of Leadership West and a governing-board member on the Peoria Unified School District.

Source: http://www.azcentral.com/insiders/westvalleyeditorials/2013/07/18/knecht-embrace-coyotes-trust-in-vision-of-a-vibrant-wv/

Link to May 2011 article: http://www.azcentral.com/community/surprise/articles/20110506glendale-west-valley-mayors-want-keep-phoenix-coyotes.html

Last edited:

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
If Detroit gets ch. 9, that could set a dangerous precedent for which the likes of COG could follow and already have their arguments set.

There are different dynamics between the two. Glendale is more along the lines of the cities in California. Detroit has been on a long sustained decline for decades. Glendale like many warm weather cities is in the boom and bust cycle. I am not going to predict whether Glendale will file some day or not, but I would expect as the economy improves shops in Westgate will start filling up again as people have disposable income again and you may see some of the planned development at Camelback come in. Detroit doesn't really have any way forward. So while I don't think that they will ever make money on the Coyotes the city can rebound to the point where its a stupid deal and not a catastrophic deal.

I still don't get how the Board of Governors are getting strong armed into going along with this. I thought Bettman worked for them not the other way around.

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013
Speaking of NHL cities going bankrupt....Maybe Detroit is having to spend too much on its police department to protect all those suburbians going to the Joe? :sarcasm:

No wonder they all come to Glendale :laugh:

Well, I'm sure Detroit can let Robocop cover whole sections of the city. :laugh: Maybe Glendale can buy those Ed-209s from Detroit for suspiciously low prices. What could possibly go wrong? :sarcasm:

This seemed evitable for Detroit. That city has been in a staggering decline. Last I read, their population was at 1916 levels. I guess parts of it are still stable/safe if they still host the Tigers, Red Wings, and Lions. There were all the stories of abandoned buildings, huge chemical slurries in the basements of those buildings or frozen ponds, that tree growing out of a pile of books at the book depository, teachers looting closed down schools for supplies. What a mess.

secondly, theres no such thing as a Southern or Sunbelt Expansion Plan. Never was. Expansion based on check book marketing & pre-dating Bettmans appointment, overseeing the BOG's wishes in Atlanta & Tennessee etc, and a couple of wonky relo's. Forget the "hubris", if Bettmans feeling anything its likely embarrassment if he's being honest about it. Full on meltdowns in Florida X's 2, Nashville, Dallas, Phoenix & Atlanta. And now this deal. Which absolutely reeks. But hey. NHL. What it is.

Oh but there is a plan. Haven't you seen Waterworld? It's tattooed on Bettman's back.:laugh: He's supposed to lead them not to Dryland but Frozen Waterworld somewhere in the far south. If Bettman ever retires, I hear he's going to lead an expedition looking for Mu or Lemuria.

Last edited:

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013
Anthony LeBlanc said the #Coyotes' 2013-14 marketing campaign will highlight the team's new stability. Got a slogan idea?

I'll take a crack at it:
We're more than a desert mirage!
As enduring as ice under the Arizona sun!
"Stable" for 5 more years.
Stable til Glendale can't find gas to siphon from fire trucks.
We're committed as long as the gravy train runs on time
The Good, the Bad, and the Coyote Ugly.
Ugly Bett...man.
In for a penny, in for a pound
The Coyotes haven't made any money in 17 years, what's another 5?
We got the vision!
Defying all logic for [18] seasons!
The ice men cometh.
Carrying on as carrion.
Not vulture food yet.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Oh but there is a plan. Haven't you seen Waterworld? It's tattooed on Bettman's back....

... :laugh: To the Poles perhaps. On the trail of Admiral Bird & the
Alien Civilizations living underfoot. The People of the Hollow Earth.

NHLfan4life

Who is PKP???
Nov 22, 2010
Glendale
We're here... we're broke... get used to it.

Are they broke? :shakehead

Blackhawk fans should know that things can turn around. Think about the dismal attendance THEY had just a few short years ago (See: 6 years). Now they have the Cup. Sure everyone can crap on the Coyotes all they want, but once the sale closes and there is stable ownership and marketing, there is nowhere but up to go.

The game and players have changed. If you are a relocationist, you want this to fail but as each day goes by it looks more and more positive the team stays where they belong.

Yes LeBlanc has is quirks but at least he has passion. That has been lacking in this market for many years. I think it's part of puzzle that hasn't been considered.

It's all coming together now, finally. The negativity and wishful thinking of a referendum or lawsuit is entertaining at this point. I love that this still bothers so many people.

Go Coyotes. :coyotes

seasontixholder*

Blackhawk fans should know that things can turn around. Think about the dismal attendance THEY had just a few short years ago (See: 6 years). Now they have the Cup. Sure everyone can crap on the Coyotes all they want, but once the sale closes and there is stable ownership and marketing, there is nowhere but up to go.

The game and players have changed. If you are a relocationist, you want this to fail but as each day goes by it looks more and more positive the team stays where they belong.

Yes LeBlanc has is quirks but at least he has passion. That has been lacking in this market for many years. I think it's part of puzzle that hasn't been considered.

It's all coming together now, finally. The negativity and wishful thinking of a referendum or lawsuit is entertaining at this point. I love that this still bothers so many people.

Can't compare an original six team to Phoenix. That's like comparing the Yankees to the Marlins.

LouisOlivier

May 1, 2013
Ville de Québec

Where do you see RSE after 5 seasons in Phoenix? If the Coyotes make like 3/5 playoff appareance but doesn't pass the 3rd round.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013

The franchise had to declare bankruptcy, go into NHL receivership, shake down a local govt for 15 million a year and RSEs "purchase" of the team involves taking on debt greater than the $170 million valuation that the NHL had for it. If not broke, what would you call that?

As for the Blackhawks turnaround comparison, I would say that a franchise getting a new direction because the old, cheap, refused-to-televise-home-games owner died and they had two super sucessful top 5 draft picks is a little different than the scenario unfolding with the yotes now with more leblanc passion or whatever.

xzchief

May 7, 2013

Sure everyone can crap on the Coyotes all they want, but once the sale closes and there is stable ownership and marketing, there is nowhere but up to go.

[MOD EDIT] I can understand the "stable marketing" part since there's not likely to be much change on that front. There's no money to increase marketing.

If there actually was stable ownership and improved marketing coming, the Coyotes' prospects would indeed look brighter. Beside wishful thinking, what makes anyone believe the ownership group is stable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
As for the Blackhawks turnaround comparison, I would say that a franchise getting a new direction because the old, cheap, refused-to-televise-home-games owner died and they had two super sucessful top 5 draft picks is a little different than the scenario unfolding with the yotes now with more leblanc passion or whatever.

Ya, not a good comparison, Phoenix-Chicago. Dollar Bill Wirtz for decades deliberately keeping his foot on the franchises throat. I have no doubt the Coyotes can be turned around, a healthy Seasons Ticket Base secured, however, thats going to take some seriously aggressive and believable owners, and Im just not seeing it with RSE. Secondly and more importantly, that buildings got to be filled with non-hockey events & concerts if theyve got any hope in Hell in providing Glendale with the $8.5M over and above the $6.5M theyd budgeted for Arena Management Services; for RSE to service its debts and spend on advertising, marketing & promotion, on the team itself. If they can get the schedule filled up, the building turning dollars and lots of them, then OK. Like Florida (who recently renegotiated their Lease, shorter window on the out-clause), the Coyotes a lost leader of sorts, but even then, no guarantee's they dont just pack it up & head to greener pastures in 2018. If they had a lot more of their own money in this purchase and some experience, be a lot easier to take them seriously.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg

I think there is great potential for the Coyotes in the Phoenix area once the team has stable ownership in place. However, I believe the Coyotes may have been much more successful had a new arena been initially built in Scottsdale rather than Glendale. Even better would have been if the existing arena in downtown Phoenix was built to properly accomodate a hockey rink to begin with rather than just basketball as that would have been the best location. It seems like the long drive out to Glendale from other areas of Phoenix does discourage some potential spectators from attending on a regular basis.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Dropping the Puck?

To quote:

"Now he's [Glendale Mayor Weiers] pushing to have the Coyotes' New Year's home game turned into a celebration.

"There's a game that night," said Weiers. "It starts at 7 p.m. I expect to have a full house at the arena. The game will end about 10 or 10:30. If I can keep those folks there for another hour-and-a-half or two hours, have them spend their money at Westgate, and have some fun with it, why not?"

Weiers explained what he has in mind for midnight.

"Why not do a 10-foot diameter great big hockey puck with two 40-foot high hockey sticks crossed. The puck drops, and when it hits the bottom, it lights up and says 2014."

He said this is just a theory so far. Weiers didn't say how much it would cost, but said the city would sell sponsorships for the puck drop. "

Source: http://ktar.com/22/1649591/Glendale-mayor-wants-new-Coyotesrelated-New-Years

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
From the NHL's new schedule and alignment release:

The League will play under this new alignment and playoff system for a minimum of three seasons, through the 2015-16 NHL season."

seasontixholder*

I think there is great potential for the Coyotes in the Phoenix area once the team has stable ownership in place. However, I believe the Coyotes may have been much more successful had a new arena been initially built in Scottsdale rather than Glendale. Even better would have been if the existing arena in downtown Phoenix was built to properly accomodate a hockey rink to begin with rather than just basketball as that would have been the best location. It seems like the long drive out to Glendale from other areas of Phoenix does discourage some potential spectators from attending on a regular basis.

Fans just have to adapt. The Sens built their rink way out in Kanata. Its an hour to drive there in traffic from Orleans.

NHLfan4life

Who is PKP???
Nov 22, 2010
Glendale
Can't compare an original six team to Phoenix. That's like comparing the Yankees to the Marlins.

But they operate within the NHL. Tradition didn't turn things around in Chicago. Draft picks and good front office decisions did. Then the fans, who had all but desserted their 'original six' team came back.

The Coyotes now have what it takes to be successful. The past is the past. And our Mayor is officially embracing the team.

The pieces are falling into place even before the owners have signed. Ignore those facts if you want. It's not all going to be positive but the best news is the team is staying put for years to come.

enarwpg

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
The difference between other governments (Cities, states, provinces) subsidizing a pro sports franchise and Glendale is that Glendale is broke. No wait, they are deeper than broke, they are 6' below their heads broke.

Now, if they weren't talking about cutting civil services, then sure, go for it, spend spend spend. BUT they are, the lack of concern on that front really concerns me, it goes to show how little the people there care for their well being.

What's next? A hospital or two close down to make the payments? Yikes.

Shows me the city could be inhabited to a large degree by detached and lumpish voters. :shakehead:

NHLfan4life

Who is PKP???
Nov 22, 2010
Glendale
Dropping the Puck?

To quote:

"Now he's [Glendale Mayor Weiers] pushing to have the Coyotes' New Year's home game turned into a celebration.

"There's a game that night," said Weiers. "It starts at 7 p.m. I expect to have a full house at the arena. The game will end about 10 or 10:30. If I can keep those folks there for another hour-and-a-half or two hours, have them spend their money at Westgate, and have some fun with it, why not?"

Weiers explained what he has in mind for midnight.

"Why not do a 10-foot diameter great big hockey puck with two 40-foot high hockey sticks crossed. The puck drops, and when it hits the bottom, it lights up and says 2014."

He said this is just a theory so far. Weiers didn't say how much it would cost, but said the city would sell sponsorships for the puck drop. "

Source: http://ktar.com/22/1649591/Glendale-mayor-wants-new-Coyotesrelated-New-Years

:yo: :yo: :yo: :yo: :handclap:

Sounds like an NHL professional party. Awesome idea. Great find.

NHLfan4life

Who is PKP???
Nov 22, 2010
Glendale
Shows me the city could be inhabited to a large degree by detached and lumpish voters. :shakehead:

Inaccurate speculation. We voted in CCMs, they do our bidding. It doesn't get more simple than that to know things are going according to the will of the people who live in Glendale. At least the majority of them. They can't please everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad