Phoenix XCVI: The Government You Deserve ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
I'm kind of at a loss for words to describe Chavira's performance.

Just. Wow.

JetsFlyHigh

Aug 5, 2012
We should give the Yotes a 2 year HF Probationary Period, that mean 2 more years worth of Phoenix threads and even longer if they aren't a smashing success. Plus, the Glendale Councillors are so adorable. Furthermore, RSE still might not be able to get the deal done.

They need a reality show!!

BDEuph

Hotty Toddy
Feb 3, 2009
Nope... not the way RSE will play it...

See genius is that RSE has the OPTION to call it at $50M losses after five years... they don't have to... they don't have to help the city if it starts drowning...

RSE could do nothing positive for the next fifteen years and Glendale will eat the full brunt of it... brilliant work by one group... not so much by the other...

and the league will keep their full support while they bleed the CoG dry. How can the BOG even vote yes to this deal is beyond me.

Like A Bad Neighbor, Bettman is there

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010
Bingo. Glendale is ****ed either way. It's not about Glendale, it's just people who can't be honest, for whatever reason. I'm sure a whole bunch of Canadian posters have taken an incredible interest in the taxpayers of Glendale, Arizona. :laugh:

I'm also sure they didn't care a whole lot when JB ****ed the situation up even worse than it was before.

You get a subsidized hockey team with dirt-cheap tickets and get to give the middle finger to 250 000 people in the process.

I'd say you're more selfishly biased on the issue than any Canadian that already has a local team. But please, continue with the conjecture.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
Made it sound like RSE could op out at any point in the first 5 years if they lose 50 million, not that they had to wait 5 years, after 5 years they are stuck though

AndyCapp

Aug 22, 2011
The beauty of it is that RSE needs a whole lot of help to buy the team, and after they have bought it, they have no money to run it or do payroll. And the team isn't making any money.

So I'm thinking they will own it one season before it goes back to the NHL.

True. No matter the accommodating manner of a frightened city council, there's still the economic challenges of making this club work.

The model, as exhibited to date, does not work, unless a huge rise in seat prices occurs.

And, given the price tolerance of Yotes fans to date, means that most of those at Glendale council tonight will be absent from the stands two years from now.

Maroons...

Bhay99

May 3, 2010
Chicago
Never seen a more amateur operation when dealing with hundreds of millions of dollars....cannot believe that just passed....wow.

Retail1LO*

What's really bad...is that Gary probably baited the new owners with the promise that they only have to stay in Glendale for 5 years. By then, or sooner, arenas in Seattle and Quebec City will be complete. The Coyotes will move to Seattle, and QC will get an expansion franchise or take on yet another struggling NHL franchise, wherever one will reside at that time. In the meantime, the city of Glendale gets absolutely ****ing buried and gets relegated to babysitting a team destined to leave town in 5 years. This WILL happen. This team is on life support, and it's never ever going to come off it.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
You get a subsidized hockey team with dirt-cheap tickets and get to give the middle finger to 250 000 people in the process.

I'd say you're more selfishly biased on the issue than any Canadian that already has a local team. But please, continue with the conjecture.

I'm sure it would be much better with Glendale merely paying millions of dollars every year to cover the construction costs of an arena that wouldn't even have a primary tenant.

EvilCoop

What year is it?
Nov 29, 2011
The Black Lodge
I have a question, if tickets didn't sell when the team was in danger of moving and needed all the support it could get, then how will they sell when they actually have an owner?

BDEuph

Hotty Toddy
Feb 3, 2009
Loyalty to the team won out over civic necessity. What the CoG needs, is the Fist of Goodness

SchultzSquared*

I'm pretty sure the deal is that the team attempts each year to put 9 million in their revenue with the 6 million they get from the city to pay for the 15 million building expense. If there's a term on that, I'm not sure. But if the team can't get that 9 million, that's when problems start to happen.

It was brought up during the marathon session... the city has $11M in their general fund to top up losses.. that is where it would have to come from to avoid budget cuts

So think about it... Yotes miss 50% of revenue targets next year as they are slow out of the gate and fans have to be warmed up to come out... especially now that they have to PAY for parking... and pay a surcharge+...

Welp now Glendale must blow 50% of its GENERAL FUND to pay down RSE... better hope that team never suffers another rocky year in years 2-5... because that's all the spending money the city's got- for the team... for fire trucks... for anything

nik-

Sep 13, 2004
Small town with a weak council gets bullied and hoodwinked into selling out their citizens to cater to billionaires and a majority of fans from other parts of the metro.

That's pretty much what we just saw.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
A few final thoughts...

The COG's tougher stand yielded a much better deal overall than previous efforts.

I think it highly likely that in 5 years RSE will have a portable NHL franchise, which is a great deal for the small investment they have put up.

The COG has some very rocky times ahead. In addition to the very problematic budgetary shortfalls, they are likely to be staring at some rather negative credit rating results.

Coyotes fans face the prospect of much higher game costs, with an ownership group that is light in the wallet.

Overall, I am genuinely happy for the Coyotes fans. They have endured a lot of crap over the years, and deserve a summer of thinking about hockey, instead of the ownership mess. Congratulations!

n3ss

Nov 29, 2011
Someone tell me, with this deal, will the Coyotes be able to spend to the salary cap?

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013
4-3 4-3 4-3. Glendale's just like the Supreme Court (always 5-4). No matter how much effort people make to try and bring change to stop digging deeper (electing Weiers, Hugh, retaining Alvarez), enough of the people making the mess (Knaack, Martinez) or willing to join in and make the mess (Sherwood, Chavira) stay. They're like gravity pulling Glendale down from trying to crawl out of the pit or like the quicksand sucking the city down. They talk about all this vision but they lack foresight! Gee Knaack, where's Westgate gonna be in 5 years when the Coyotes leave and the city's bond rating is complete **** and the services are cut even further and the sales taxes are even higher to maintain 1 or 2 skeleton crew fire stations and PDs?

And why were yokels from outside even allowed to speak? If a person doesn't live in Glendale or run a business in Glendale, they shouldn't of had a voice there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad