Phoenix XCVI: The Government You Deserve ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Glendale just confirmed their new city manager. Her name is Brenda Fischer, formally city manager of Maricopa.

Did Bowers not want the job?

Bowers was asked to come out of retirement and run the staff while they searched for Beasley's replacement.

She was approved on Tuesday night.... it was Item#3 on the agenda right after the vote on the lease agreement.

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
Heh, people saying that "this is what it is like to have an owner" when they signed Ribeiro.

I didn't know that RSE had signed and sealed the deal already, and told their GM to start spending? :sarcasm:

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Attention Passengers, this is your Captain speaking, El Capitano "Moonbeam" according to one of our learned friends up front in Business Class.... Do believe you'll find much, from socio-political & legal perspectives to be more than just mildly entertained with in the very near future CF. Could well be grounds for several suits of Tortious Interference if Im not very much mistaken. ;)

Geeze..... I just ate Killy!!!!! :biglaugh:

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
http://www.glendalestar.com/news/headlines/article_d7f30530-e413-11e2-8882-0019bb2963f4.html

Seems Alverez has had enough, Curious what an outside audit may show about the past.

That is awesome

“They have reserved seats,†she said of the Coyotes and NHL representatives. “We have to buy them to come to Glendale? Bull****. At this point, I don’t give a damn. Four can decide, but I’ll be a whistleblower. The more they p*** me off, the more I want to do.â€

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Seems Alverez has had enough. Curious what an outside audit may show about the past.

Looks like it. Angry, not taking it anymore, spiteful, vengeful. If she's to be believed, and if only half right, sounds like a Grand Jury could be convening over Glendales err... irregularities? What have they been really building down there?...

tumblr_ljfk65tKLi1qgeyd8o1_500.gif

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Looks like it. Angry, not taking it anymore, spiteful, vengeful. If she's to be believed, and if only half right, sounds like a Grand Jury could be convening over Glendales err... irregularities? What have they been really building down there?...

tumblr_ljfk65tKLi1qgeyd8o1_500.gif

No wonder Bowers is on his way... back to retirement. And the new lady... maybe she was the only one out of 40 who wanted the job. There are some serious days ahead for the COG.

GF

Nov 4, 2012
http://www.glendalestar.com/news/headlines/article_d7f30530-e413-11e2-8882-0019bb2963f4.html

Seems Alverez has had enough, Curious what an outside audit may show about the past.

Say what you want, I respect that woman. She looked to me that she could see through RSE/NHL smoke screen.

Edit to add: Bowers was great tuesday. Pratically calling what was wrong with the deal while trying to be as neutral as possible. it was quite obvious some council members were not there to weigh the plus/minus of the deal, but to "pass it", especially Sherwood and Chavira.

davemac1313

Jan 20, 2011
Keewatin, Ontario
Funny you should say that...

They just locked him up for 4 years..... $5.5 million per year.

Ya See TL....For 4 Years you have thought I was full of it...Maybe not eh.
I understand Business. They are clearly following a plan that will allow them in year 1, to see the future result of further investment. The market better deliver by attending or an exit strategy will be employed. I believe the model is too precarious to survive without a massive rebuy into the team by the market immediately.

The thought may be that I have an agenda to relocate the team. I could care less. True I believe a number of markets should have teams and they don't, but nothing in the Phoenix market has ever made me believe that it is a sustainable, healthy franchise location for the NHL. As a result it should be located in a market that will support it at a level that will pay the price that needs to be paid for an NHL club. I am not convinced that this is the market, and will not be until ticket prices meet league average, TV ratings exceed those in non NHL cities and attendance also is at league average.

Each and every proponent of the Coyotes on this site better tell 2 friends and so on and so on, so that year 1 is a success for RSE or the Loria management method will be employed and 5 years from now I will be listening to the rhetoric about how the fans stayed away because of bad ownership.

The fact is, these guys appear to be "house poor" so there is zero flexibility for anything but blind faith, devotion and investment by the PHOENIX community. Glendale has more than done its bit, a lot of people need to put their money where their mouth is. "I can only attend a few games a year cause it's too far too drive and Parking is too expensive" cannot become the next excuse, although I personaly expect it to be.

Tell 2 Friends dude....and not the 2 that already are here....

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg
Say what you want, I respect that woman. She looked to me that she could see through RSE/NHL smoke screen.

Edit to add: Bowers was great tuesday. Pratically calling what was wrong with the deal while trying to be as neutral as possible. it was quite obvious some council members were not there to weigh the plus/minus of the deal, but to "pass it", especially Sherwood and Chavira.

I agree on both Alverez and Bowers. I think they both smelled a rat or two or....

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
To be fair to the new GoG City Manager, I was reading the she "won" ( I use this term questionably because I don't think becoming the new city manager is winning anything ) the job out of pool of 40 candidates. Either jobs are few and far between down there or there are a lot of people that are glutens for punishment.

Scratch the above. I read there were 40 candidates for the job, but now according to Alvarez, there was really only one. The one who got the job...

She referred to the applications submitted by individuals seeking the office of city manager. “When Sherwood got the applications, he called her (new city manager hired Tuesday, Brenda Fischer),†Alvarez said. “We didn’t call anybody; that’s why we have HR. He (Sherwood) came back and told us this is the best person.†She said when you call one applicant, you are denying the same opportunity to others.
“Manny was so upset Sherwood had talked to her,†Alvarez said. “He had never heard of councilmembers doing that.â€

davemac1313

Jan 20, 2011
Keewatin, Ontario
Some serious upset there.

To be real.....I am not sure she ever really understood what was going on sometimes. While I will agree that if things happened as she said, and staff made serious statements to her, then absolutely there is a huge issue awaiting the audit release. I go back to some of her council meetings and statements she made.....what she thinks and what is real might just be 2 different things.

I wonder if Darcy would think about treating her to cupcakes if she does step down...........

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Ya See TL....For 4 Years you have thought I was full of it...Maybe not eh.
I understand Business. They are clearly following a plan that will allow them in year 1, to see the future result of further investment. The market better deliver by attending or an exit strategy will be employed. I believe the model is too precarious to survive without a massive rebuy into the team by the market immediately.

The thought may be that I have an agenda to relocate the team. I could care less. True I believe a number of markets should have teams and they don't, but nothing in the Phoenix market has ever made me believe that it is a sustainable, healthy franchise location for the NHL. As a result it should be located in a market that will support it at a level that will pay the price that needs to be paid for an NHL club. I am not convinced that this is the market, and will not be until ticket prices meet league average, TV ratings exceed those in non NHL cities and attendance also is at league average.

Each and every proponent of the Coyotes on this site better tell 2 friends and so on and so on, so that year 1 is a success for RSE or the Loria management method will be employed and 5 years from now I will be listening to the rhetoric about how the fans stayed away because of bad ownership.

The fact is, these guys appear to be "house poor" so there is zero flexibility for anything but blind faith, devotion and investment by the PHOENIX community. Glendale has more than done its bit, a lot of people need to put their money where their mouth is. "I can only attend a few games a year cause it's too far too drive and Parking is too expensive" cannot become the next excuse, although I personaly expect it to be.

Tell 2 Friends dude....and not the 2 that already are here....

Nyah Dave.... I knew you were a smart guy.

And you are correct.... no more excuses. Paying for parking was never a real excuse. The other pro teams charge for it. We have to show up in greater numbers and more corporations need to get on board (suite sales, etc).

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
To be real.....I am not sure she ever really understood what was going on sometimes. While I will agree that if things happened as she said, and staff made serious statements to her, then absolutely there is a huge issue awaiting the audit release. I go back to some of her council meetings and statements she made.....what she thinks and what is real might just be 2 different things.

I wonder if Darcy would think about treating her to cupcakes if she does step down...........

I haven't watch a whole bunch od CoG council meetings, but from the ones I have seen over the years, the word to me that describes Alverez is.... consistent. Consistent in her unwavering of trying to protect the taxpayers.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Heh, people saying that "this is what it is like to have an owner" when they signed Ribeiro.

I didn't know that RSE had signed and sealed the deal already, and told their GM to start spending? :sarcasm:

You grossly underestimate Don Maloney's ability to manage a budget. :nod:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

Hard to say. She isnt terribly sophisticated, nor are any of the others sitting on Council including the Mayor, Interim Manager Bowers the only one who seemed to have a grasp on matters, fully comprehending the ramifications, understanding the shortcomings of RSE's bid, its precarious financing & overly optimistic projections that absolutely spell trouble for Glendale. Alvarez may not have understood as much as Bowers however instinctively, innately she did perceive danger so if nothing else, some street smarts. Seems to have a hard time articulating her arguments, firing in all directions, never really hitting anything decisively. Emotional. Bit of a Bull in a China Shoppe. I do think this is a bit of a signal flare though, that some serious guns are being readied, a series of frontal attacks about to be launched on Glendale for having been playing it fast & loose in breaching basic procedural rules & regulations amongst other far more serious offences as they relate specifically to the FOIA, Public Notification of Matters to be Voted Upon & the Gift Clause, and that this deal will be derailed as a result of whats about to be unleashed. The Audit but one more damning piece of evidence that for some could well result in indictments.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
I haven't watch a whole bunch od CoG council meetings, but from the ones I have seen over the years, the word to me that describes Alverez is.... consistent. Consistent in her unwavering of trying to protect the taxpayers.
From her interventions in council I got the feeling that while she honest maybe the only one who really is she lack the tools to mount a real opposition to the shadiness going on.

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON
I think we should bring the "Hockey in the Desert" title out of retirement.

When Ice Edge takes over officially, (and I see no reason why they won't) we should reset the thread counter back to one. Phoenix vol. 3....

In fact the first title should be:

Ice Arizona Ownership: Day One

When I get some time, I'm still organizing the fifth anniversary patch contest. After all it's not like a deep pocketed owner took over...:D

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The Audit but one more damning piece of evidence that for some could well result in indictments.

Wait, is this the same audit the mayor ordered when he first came into office? It was never finished, but they saw it fit to spend $15m on a hockey team? :help:

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
I do think this is a bit of a signal flare though, that some serious guns are being readied, a series of frontal attacks about to be launched on Glendale for having been playing it fast & loose in breaching basic procedural rules & regulations amongst other far more serious offences as they relate specifically to the FOIA, Public Notification of Matters to be Voted Upon & the Gift Clause, and that this deal will be derailed as a result of whats about to be unleashed. The Audit but one more damning piece of evidence that for some could well result in indictments.

Killion,

Twice in the above paragraph, you use the expression "about to be". Do we look for this in the coming week, in 2 weeks, before Aug 5, or after closing?

Thanks.

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON
Do you get Royalties on that video or what? Like the 88th time youve suggested that title... with link. Deal with google? Hit counts? :laugh:

Hey, I like the song and I'll stop when it get used...:razz:

(For the record, it's only the second time I've posted the link and third time I've suggested the title. Been looking for the lyrics online and perhaps write a filk from it that's topic appropriate, but no such luck...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad