Phoenix XCI: Never Gonna Give You Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

DyerMaker66*

John Shannon ‏@JSportsnet 2m
As a point of interest, Global-Spectacor is a big part of the proposed arena in Markham. Deep ties in sports and entertainment business

Hmmmmmmmmm can you say 5 year plan?

Global Spectrum also runs Copps Coliseum.

tin-foil-hat-3.jpg

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
It all depends on if this changes the finances or not. If the deal changes then its back to the table to negotiate a new management deal with these new partners. If nothing changes Glendale just keeps moving forward with the vote. They still need guarantees.
I think you're misunderstood.

Glendale is voting on their counter-offer that was proposed late Friday afternoon. Not the original deal that RSE tabled two weeks :sarcasm: back.

RSE still hasn't approved said counter-offer (though I haven't been paying much attention this past long weekend).

In order for this to complete today, RSE has to approve Glendale's new terms (5 year out, couple other tweaks), and Glendale has to have a majority vote on the issue approving their counter offer.

I suspect the vote will go through as planned with 5-2 or 7-0 considering the CoG's Fridays revisions made it slightly better, but not by much, for them. Besides, there were comments made by the Councillors that they can back their revised deal, but not the original.

This will fall flat on it's face when RSE returns to Fortress expecting the financing with the new terms where they will say a blunt "No, we want the original deal, or no money". RSE won't be able to close and the NHL will once again be stuck with the team.

JetSabre

The 101st Best
Aug 21, 2006
Denver, CO
I don't know if you can hear this elsewhere, but that hollow sound is me banging my head against my desk.

This stuff drives me nuts, too.

Why does every NHL action seem to happen at the very last minute? I mean, a major arena management company suddenly shows up as RSE's "partner" on the morning on the day of the vote?

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Fugu, will you and the mods be providing any sort of counseling or 12 step program to deal with the post Coyotes threads depression? Assuming this ends tonight.

We don't need any injured members here :sarcasm:

Who says this is going to be over tonight?

We've been here before. The COG had approved leases to Hulsizer and to Jamison.

A few weeks ago I predicted that RSE would work out a deal for a lease, it would get approved, but RSE would ultimately fail to close the deal.

So far that's on track to happen.

For tonight, the key to me is that Bettman and Daly are coming to the meeting. Bettman's a proud man - he's not going to show up to have the deal rejected. He knows the lease has the votes to pass.

maruk14

Jun 24, 2002
Seattle, WA
Visit site

Glendale is voting on their counter-offer that was proposed late Friday afternoon.

RSE still hasn't approved said offer (though I haven't been paying much attention this past long weekend).

In order for this to complete today, RSE has to approve Glendales terms (5 year out, couple other tweaks), and Glendale has to have a majority vote on the issue approving their counter offer.

I suspect the vote will go through as planned with 5-2 or 7-0 considering the CoG's Fridays revisions made it slightly better, but not by much, for them.

This will fall flat on it's face when RSE returns to Fortress with the new terms where they will say a blunt "No, we want the original deal, or no money".

Unless they table the vote as they negotiate revised terms. Are they really locked in on voting?

Like I said though - its great PR right now but Glendale needs RSE to change the financials of the deal and until that comes out we won't know anything.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
If I'm Glendale, I'm not looking at a 5 year plan. I'm looking at a plan to keep this team in Glendale for the long haul. What does 5 years get them in the end? Not much.

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
Who says this is going to be over tonight?

We've been here before. The COG had approved leases to Hulsizer and to Jamison.

A few weeks ago I predicted that RSE would work out a deal for a lease, it would get approved, but RSE would ultimately fail to close the deal.

So far that's on track to happen.

For tonight, the key to me is that Bettman and Daly are coming to the meeting. Bettman's a proud man - he's not going to show up to have the deal rejected. He knows the lease has the votes to pass.
It won't be, hence the :sarcasm:

Read my recent post on this page above.

Unless they table the vote as they negotiate revised terms. Are they really locked in on voting?

Like I said though - its great PR right now but Glendale needs RSE to change the financials of the deal and until that comes out we won't know anything.
Glendale will vote to approve the lease, with the modified terms they released Friday, yes they will vote.

Again, this is to put the ball back into RSE & the NHL's court. If the deal falls through from that end (which it likely will, Fortress wants more for their money), then the CoG will say, "we did all we could" which would be true.

The deal still sucks though, ponying up $15M annually when you have no guaranteed sources of the $9M shortfall revenue. Good luck to Glendale if RSE miraculously closes.

barneyg

Apr 22, 2007
In order for this to complete today, RSE has to approve Glendales terms (5 year out, couple other tweaks), and Glendale has to have a majority vote on the issue approving their counter offer.

I suspect the vote will go through as planned with 5-2 or 7-0 considering the CoG's Fridays revisions made it slightly better, but not by much, for them.

This will fall flat on it's face when RSE returns to Fortress with the new terms where they will say a blunt "No, we want the original deal, or no money".

...unless the deal that's voted on is palatable to RSE i.e. without the city out clause or with an out clause that's very unlikely to be triggered.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago

Glendale is voting on their counter-offer that was proposed late Friday afternoon. Not the original deal that RSE tabled two weeks :sarcasm: back.

RSE still hasn't approved said counter-offer (though I haven't been paying much attention this past long weekend).

In order for this to complete today, RSE has to approve Glendale's new terms (5 year out, couple other tweaks), and Glendale has to have a majority vote on the issue approving their counter offer.

I suspect the vote will go through as planned with 5-2 or 7-0 considering the CoG's Fridays revisions made it slightly better, but not by much, for them. Besides, there were comments made by the Councillors that they can back their revised deal, but not the original.

This will fall flat on it's face when RSE returns to Fortress expecting the financing with the new terms where they will say a blunt "No, we want the original deal, or no money". RSE won't be able to close and the NHL will once again be stuck with the team.

Glendale can just amend the deal in session tonight to remove that out.

BnGBear1970

OopsICrappedMyPants
Jul 24, 2004
I don't see how adding Global Spectrum makes the 15mil any easier to swallow?

It doesn't, but a bunch of us suspect that this will make some of the councilmembers say "well, it still a turd wrapped in used tin foil, but it's a Dolce & Gabbana! We have to have it!"

maruk14

Jun 24, 2002
Seattle, WA
Visit site
Because a professional manger makes the chances of RSE projections coming true much greater

RSE projections are irrelevant (unless I am misunderstanding something) because even with those projections the city still punted back to them with an out clause and updated financials.

Unless the financials change (and they very well could) this new news won't matter if the CoG stays true to the course they set out on last Friday.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago

I think this angle is overstated... they're there to negotiate. if negotiations don't go their way, I don't think they stay to attend the meeting

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON
John Shannon ‏@JSportsnet 2m
As a point of interest, Global-Spectacor is a big part of the proposed arena in Markham. Deep ties in sports and entertainment business

Hmmmmmmmmm can you say 5 year plan?

Shannon seems a little behind. I'm beginning to wonder if he can even read...

(For the record Global Spectrum is also the brand new manager of Copps Coliseum in Hamilton, and actual arena unlike the gingerbread arena in Markham....)

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
Glendale can just amend the deal in session tonight to remove that out.
You may be right, I'm not 100% sure on Arizona Public Law.

I assumed, though, that any major modifications such as removing protection clauses, need to be tabled for 72 hours for public review prior to a council vote. No?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
there was never a 24 hour notice. Sherwood said that, but he also said they'd give the public a week to vote on any final deal... if they want to change the deal, they will.

So they can make any changes they want with out letting the public look at it. That is illegal.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Yes since Arizona doesn't observe daylight savings for the majority of the year (early March-early Nov) they are actually on PST. 3 hours behind EST.

Actually Arizona is on MST, not PST. The west coast isn't on PST at the moment either, they're currently on PDT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad