Phoenix Part XXXI: I feel I'm in a time loop

Status
Not open for further replies.

PitbulI

Dec 22, 2010
Thats just a rumor ;)

Link of this true/untue rumor that's just a rumor please. :laugh:

So do you think the longer the Coyotes are in the playoffs, the better the chance of the deal going through is?

I truly think that the Coyotes deadline is a day or two after their last game played, be that in April, May or June.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Don't be so sensitive about my climate comments. And yes, I do understand hockey is played on ice. I actually spent 30 years in a traditional hockey market. I grew up playing hockey outdoors on ice. My family came down to the US from Winnipeg. These factors are not lost on me. I might suggest factors that favor Phoenix as a desirable climate are being ignored by you.

Anyway, I admit this is getting off topic so I will defer to the "group-think" that seems to control these boards at times and acknowledge that hockey should always be played in a climate that supports an outdoor game. But having said that, let's knock great markets like St. Louis, DC, Vancouver, San Jose, LA, Anahiem, Dallas, and probably Denver off the list since you don't have much outdoor hockey in any of those markets either.

It just seems like some people go out of their way to pick a fight. Geezzz.:shakehead

I agree with you goyotes. People seem to go out of their way to pick fights and don`t really take the time to understand the poster or their posts. If they did, they would see that you are someone who really tries to see both sides of this issue even though you might lose your team.

You make very valid points about the players who might not want to leave a warm beautiful place for somewhere, that is, less than that for 6 odd months a year. If I was a millionaire I might be convinced to move away too :)

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg
Link of this true/untue rumor that's just a rumor please. :laugh:

So do you think the longer the Coyotes are in the playoffs, the better the chance of the deal going through is?

I truly think that the Coyotes deadline is a day or two after their last game played, be that in April, May or June.

I still think in order for the team to be moved it would have to be close to May 1.
Then again maybe I'm just starting a rumor.:amazed:

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Hasn't the NHL expressed frustration towards groups/people who took attention away from the playoffs in the past? Wouldn't it be hypocritical for them to move the team during this time?

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!
Another PBJ article

Coyotes playoff run could determine future in Phoenix

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/blog/business/2011/04/coyotes-playoff-run-could-determine.html

When I saw the headline I was thinking this was talk like last year, where people were saying a good playoff run would entice someone to buy the team. Well, we know how that has worked out.

The article is basically saying that the farther the Coyotes go in the playoffs, the more time it gives everyone to make a deal. If Sunnucks is right, then this could mean an announcement as soon as they are out, or the clock finally starts ticking for real.

Maybe this will make Belanger and Doan put the puck in the net with more frequency... :laugh: Good coaching tactic too... "Win the Cup! If you don't...."

dobiezeke*

I realize I am not one of the high intellect lawyers on this thread, but I have reservations about this whole scenario as it plays out:

If the NHL (Bettman) are confident in the sale of the team to MH, why wouldn't you announce it now to ensure strong ticket sales for the playoffs

If the true fans of the Coyotes are starting to waiver (and this is becoming a reality based on some solid Coyotes fans on this site) why would the NHL not do more to ensure that season ticket sales for a new owner are solidified by announcing the sale if it is a sure thing.

I may be simply a fan of the game, however I do not see how failing to bring any positive information either from the NHL or CoG is doing anything to create a positive economical situation for Phoenix.

I await the tongue lashing from those who are smarter than all...from an outsiders point of view the methods of the NHL and CoG seem to be counterproductive to increasing value in this team for the purpose of a sale.

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010
interest on a 30 year loan is interest on a 30 year loan regardless of when it starts or stops. doubt that has any weight in the timing of selling the bonds.

It could depending on the Glendale budget. The earlier they make this deal, the earlier they start making payments, which of course have to be accounted for in this year's budget. Push it back a few months, that's less debt load for 2011. No difference in the long-run, but it's cheaper in the now, which is always a consideration for political types...

BTW, still voting for "Still Percolating" for the next thread title. :)

Vayls

Mar 17, 2010
I am sure someone somewhere has asked this, but I was wondering what people's opinions would be:

IF Phoenix wins the Stanley Cup this year and IF they move (rather; are announced to move shortly after the playoffs) to Winnipeg, where do they hold the parade?

edit: some may say they will stay in PHX if they win, but I am asking for the opinions based on the assumptions

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
I realize I am not one of the high intellect lawyers on this thread, but I have reservations about this whole scenario as it plays out:

If the NHL (Bettman) are confident in the sale of the team to MH, why wouldn't you announce it now to ensure strong ticket sales for the playoffs

If the true fans of the Coyotes are starting to waiver (and this is becoming a reality based on some solid Coyotes fans on this site) why would the NHL not do more to ensure that season ticket sales for a new owner are solidified by announcing the sale if it is a sure thing.

I may be simply a fan of the game, however I do not see how failing to bring any positive information either from the NHL or CoG is doing anything to create a positive economical situation for Phoenix.

I await the tongue lashing from those who are smarter than all...from an outsiders point of view the methods of the NHL and CoG seem to be counterproductive to increasing value in this team for the purpose of a sale.

because the sale is not a sure thing even if they have the bonds lined up and all their i's dotted and their t's crossed. If GWI actually files and doesnt get thrown out immediately, the legal mess could go on for months, potentially leaving the nhl owners on the hook for phx losses and my guess is that they'd rather just move the team than carry on with this mess for another season.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Winnipeg has the worst climate of all of them, significantly worse than most.

Like Edmonton, Winnipeg is not only cold as hell, but lacks most of the urban attractions most NHL cities have. If you can't go outside, you want to have good inside activities. Winnipeg just doesn't deliver.

No doubt players WILL sign in Winnipeg, but it would be at the bottom of most lists. Combine that with what would likely be a low payroll, and a NHL team there will struggle to attract and keep players. Keep in mind that players are also going to face higher taxes in Canada in most cases as well.

Ernie, I am curious as to which "urban attractions" you are referring to. Can you be more specific?

Edmonton would seem to have some pretty decent attractions on those long, cold winter nights.................West Edmonton Mall, one of the largest indooor waterparks and amusement parks in the world, brand new art gallery, festivals galore. I would think the players and their families would have plenty to do in Edmonton.

It's already been established that Winnipeg would not be a low payroll team, but a mid-payroll team. Maybe you should read up on that.

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
I am sure someone somewhere has asked this, but I was wondering what people's opinions would be:

IF Phoenix wins the Stanley Cup this year and IF they move (rather; are announced to move shortly after the playoffs) to Winnipeg, where do they hold the parade?

edit: some may say they will stay in PHX if they win, but I am asking for the opinions based on the assumptions

PHX because they won as PHX not as WPG. I'm pretty sure if they win the cup that somebody will pay full price for the team.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Hasn't the NHL expressed frustration towards groups/people who took attention away from the playoffs in the past? Wouldn't it be hypocritical for them to move the team during this time?

I'm assuming you're referring to Balsillie - you can't compare his attempt to steal the show and grandstand and act like an idiot with the league's necessity to know with enough lead time where this franchise is going to play. Unfortuately, the start of training camp this fall, minus the minimum appropriate lead time, takes you to the middle of the playoffs.

If the Coyotes have top move, then the league really painted themselves into a corner on this one.

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
I'm assuming you're referring to Balsillie - you can't compare his attempt to steal the show and grandstand and act like an idiot with the league's necessity to know with enough lead time where this franchise is going to play. Unfortuately, the start of training camp this fall, minus the minimum appropriate lead time, takes you to the middle of the playoffs.

If the Coyotes have top move, then the league really painted themselves into a corner on this one.

I know that was in fact the goal....to steal the show from the playoffs, grandstand to the media and act like an idiot.

:shakehead

RECCE

The Dog House
Apr 29, 2010
Margaritaville
Phoenix Part XXXII "Bonds? We don't need no stinkin' bonds!"
Phoenix Part XXXII "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!"

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal

IIRC, this discussion came up when the North Stars were moving, and I believe ownership originally thought they'd bring it with them but eventually changed their tune and said the Cup would stay in Minnesota until the team started play in Dallas.

BrianSTC

May 23, 2007
Winnipeg

If the Coyotes win, it will be for the fans in Phoenix who followed and stuck with their team all year. The majority of Winnipeggers have not even followed the Coyotes this year so a parade would be meaningless.

Fidel Astro

Aug 26, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
www.witchpolice.com
Like Edmonton, Winnipeg is not only cold as hell, but lacks most of the urban attractions most NHL cities have. If you can't go outside, you want to have good inside activities. Winnipeg just doesn't deliver.

I thought we were over this whole "Winnipeg has nothing going for it" garbage. The city was named Cultural Capital of Canada in 2010 (as an example). Surely, one would think, that indicates at least something interesting takes place here.

...and where does this "if you can't go outside" notion come from? Yes, it's cold as balls here, but we still go outside all the time. Where do you think all of those Hall of Famers from Manitoba learned to play hockey? Do you think Terry Sawchuk was playing on outdoor ice in Winnipeg in the summer? Just because it's cold, that doesn't mean everyone is locked in their homes, hibernating until spring. We're outside on a regular basis, all year round.

On a related topic, has anyone posted this little item yet? (http://www.fiveforhowling.com/2011/...s-want-to-feel-human-too-the-case-for-phoenix) It's from a Coyotes fan site, and although the headline says "the case for Phoenix," it's full of little digs at Winnipeg, particularly at the weather.

Lately, those sentiments have been expressed vehemently from loyalists in the small Manitoban city of Winnipeg, a city desperate for the return of NHL hockey. Why would a hockey player want to live and play in a city that does not appreciate them? is the refrain, voiced over and over in newspapers, social media, and television. In Winnipeg, the players would be treated like HOCKEY GODS.

They are, of course, correct. NHL players would be fawned over, cheered lustily, always recognized on the street or in restaurants, and in the public eye at all times. And if the team was full of narcissists who feed off of those things like normal people require food to survive, then who wouldn't want to brave the elements to play in Winnipeg?

...and this one is particularly nasty, despite the writer's attempt to say 'nice' things about Winnipeg:

In essence, then, the payoff of being treated like a HOCKEY GOD is not sufficient for most of these players to balance the scales when one has to roll out of bed early in the morning to melt ice off of a car door lock, or bundle up in Eskimo-style garb and spend twenty minutes warming up the car just to drive down the street. Winnipeg is not a slum, nor is it an eyesore - it is actually a very nice city with plenty to recommend it. It's just that for most of the year, that allure is coated with a glistening carapace of ice and embellished with snowdrifts, and outside of Norman Rockwell paintings, such things are rarely appreciated in day to day life.

This is the kind of crap that is typical from the pro-Phoenix (or should I say "anti-Winnipeg") crowd, and it's very frustrating. It makes it sound like we're some frozen wasteland for "most of the year" and that our very active winter season -- which, again, is a time most of us spent playing hockey as kids, which is the sport we're taking about here -- is "rarely appreciated."

Sorry, champ. I'm a Winnipegger who actually likes the winter, and I'm certainly not the only one. Our winters are a big part of the reason why I appreciate living in Winnipeg and why I don't want to move. It's not like everyone's stuck here. The vast majority of Winnipeggers live in this city by choice, and that's something the Phoenix fans don't seem to understand. They seem to think we were just dumped here by some unfortunate turn of fate, and we all want to pack up and move to somewhere warmer at a moment's notice.

Very, very irritating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad