Phoenix Part XXXI: I feel I'm in a time loop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't know which is worse, days of no news like the present so we can rehash the same arguments over and over again (deal legal/not legal; bonds have buyers, no buyers, half a buyer; GWI should sue/CoG should sue, the fact "their" not suing means they know they don't have a case; GWI is truly working for the people/GWI is an obstructionist PR seeking troll; Winnipeg is an undesirable market/Winnipeg is like a Phoenix rising from its former ashes and can now sustain an NHL team; Phoenix is in ashes/Phoenix just needs a viable chance to finally make a go of NHL hockey; etc....)....

Or days when we get information leaked that spawns speculation the deal is all but complete/over, and posters claiming victory or looking defeat in the eyes.:naughty:

Yeah, to heck with Glendale and Winnipeg, we need this to end for our sanity :sarcasm: This has gone so darn long it's ridiculous and I can't believe that the NHL BoG's aren't telling Bettman, end this one way or another.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
So you're saying the deal is in fact "undone". Except that there is that committment to the bonds....can't give them back to the buyer. Seems that would leave the Coyote franchise in limbo, or I guess back in the NHL's lap. And the tax payer is stuck with 350 - 450 million dollars to repay. What a freeking mess.

And there, kind sir, is why this deal is in limbo. CoG cannot risk selling the bonds if they aren't guaranteed the team.

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
Yeah, to heck with Glendale and Winnipeg, we need this to end for our sanity :sarcasm: This has gone so darn long it's ridiculous and I can't believe that the NHL BoG's aren't telling Bettman, end this one way or another.

I honestly do hope Winnipeg gets an NHL team. If it must be through relocation, then I hope it is the Coyotes as I know the team will be in good hands with great, great hockey fans.

Just don't hold it against any player not happy about leaving Phoenix. As a person that came from a place up north with real winters, I can only tell you there is something pretty great about going to the rink to play hockey in March when the weather outside is 75F (24C). ;)

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
One reason for the bonds not being sold yet, is it's probably in the city's best interest to wait to sell them until the last possible day. The interest and principle payment would be close to a million dollars per month. So there really is no sense in making payments any sooner than they have to.

Keeping in mind the city believed time ran out on March 1st, maybe I'm wrong. Since they thought the last possible day had already gone by.

I'm not sure how this makes a difference. The bonds will have a mature date that is a fixed time from the issuance, so whether they started today and ended on this date years down the road, or started a month from today and ended a month from today years down the road is inconsequential.

They say the bonds aren't being sold because the city wants a more favourable rate. That may be, but there are probably 2 other reasons:

The city can't sell all the bonds at the current rate and need to raise the rate to complete the sale, something they are unwilling or unable to do.

Even if they do sell the bonds, if GWI sues and wins, the money gets returned to them, the Coyotes leave, and the city is stuck with 300 odd million in debt repayment. I'm guessing that would lead to bankruptcy, which again, makes the bonds riskier.

I don't see how at this point the deal can close unless major concessions are made by Hulsy, the NHL or CoG.

PitbulI

Dec 22, 2010
I honestly do hope Winnipeg gets an NHL team. If it must be through relocation, then I hope it is the Coyotes as I know the team will be in good hands with great, great hockey fans.

Just don't hold it against any player not happy about leaving Phoenix. As a person that came from a place up north with real winters, I can only tell you there is something pretty great about going to the rink to play hockey in March when the weather outside is 75F (24C). ;)

I can agree that players would rather sit back by the pool after practice instead of shovel their driveway.

Ii actually thought too that this would have been finished either way by now.

No news anyone?

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.

Nice comment considering it would be your team. The fact is Winnipeg has almost nothing to do with how the situation turns out in Phoenix. It is simply a relocation option for the NHL if a deal cannot be done to keep the team in Phoenix.

Regarding the players: I completely understand how certain players would enjoy and become accustom to the lifestyle in Phoenix -- nice winter weather and relative anonymity. Winnipeg winters are extremely cold and there is no getting around that. On the other hand, it one of the things that makes Winnipeg a great hockey city with outdoor recreational hockey rinks all over the city, for example. In addition, a lot of the NHL players are from the Canadian prairies and are at least used to the weather. So while some of the current players living in Phoenix may not be up for the move, I don't have any worries about a WPG franchise being able to find 20 able bodies that can play the game at a high level.

GHOST

Koss

How do the players Montreal, Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton, Detroit, Minnesota New York, Boston, Chicago, Ottawa, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh etc. deal with winters. You would think that all the UFAs would sign with the Sunbelt teams.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I don't know which is worse, days of no news....

Bottom line goyotes, its' just plain sad. The wasted opportunity & potential of the market, the franchise mishandled & mismanaged virtually from the day it arrived. I know the NHL can work in Phoenix, I have no doubt about it whatsoever. Im just stunned by the COG's procrastinations & ineffectiveness in moving forward with what appeared to be a pretty clear strategy. I believe its their right to provide whatever legal remedies are available to them in providing financial relief and incentives to a prospective owner. If Hulsizer cant manage a turnaround then maybe the guy after him will be able to. I still hope Reinsdorf re-enters with a last minute offer that satisfies all parties concerned. Unfortunately, as things sit, its looking worse than bleak. Glendale lost the momentum post December 14th, sinking deeper by the day. Its just a crying shame the leagues unable to provide anything in the way of flexibility; Hulsizer un-willing to compromise & dig deeper. Lord knows the COG's done everything they can, its just too bad their benevolence & aspirations exceeds their grasp and they either cant or wont execute.

Nov 24, 2006
I can agree that players would rather sit back by the pool after practice instead of shovel their driveway.

No news anyone?
Anyone remember Kris King? He liked the community atmosphere of playing in Winnipeg. He said he'd go away on road trips and when he got home, someone had always blown the snow off his driveway for him.

Bruinbear

Aug 10, 2010
New England
How do the players Montreal, Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton, Detroit, Minnesota New York, Boston, Chicago, Ottawa, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh etc. deal with winters. You would think that all the UFAs would sign with the Sunbelt teams.

It just Snowed in Massachusetts its flippin April. Kaberle and Horton really wanted to come here. horton was playing in Sunrise Florida before and he wanted to come here. its about tradition fan loyalty and hockey love.

Horton hated Florida because he thought nobody cared

Bruinbear

Aug 10, 2010
New England

No news anyone?

These guys make millions...you can get heated driveways or hire a plow guy

smokes

May 26, 2009

Yeah, but all those places have IKEA to balance off the cold winters. Wait a second, Winnipeg is getting an IKEA in 2012...:sarcasm:

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
Anyone remember Kris King? He liked the community atmosphere of playing in Winnipeg. He said he'd go away on road trips and when he got home, someone had always blown the snow off his driveway for him.

Kinger was an instant fan favorite the Coyotes first year in Phoenix. Too bad he didn't stay around longer. The guy was a class act all the way.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006

They hire people to shovel their driveways......:yo:

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona

To each his own. I wasn't saying some people prefer playing in a winter climate. I was simply saying don't hold it against some players who don't want to leave a pretty good place after having spent most of their lives fighting winters. I know of what I speak. I love to "drive" to snow (about 2 hours), ski (Snowbowl still has a 62 inch base) and sled, and then "drive" back home to sit by the pool. Most people, if given a choice, wouldn't mind that gig.

Koss

To each his own. I wasn't saying some people prefer playing in a winter climate. I was simply saying don't hold it against some players who don't want to leave a pretty good place after having spent most of their lives fighting winters. I know of what I speak. I love to "drive" to snow (about 2 hours), ski (Snowbowl still has a 62 inch base) and sled, and then "drive" back home to sit by the pool. Most people, if given a choice, wouldn't mind that gig.

But that's not the way the league works. Sure, players can always turn down contracts, but the league is owner driven not player driven and the fact is Phoenix needs an owner.

Bruinbear

Aug 10, 2010
New England

Alot of people like Seasons as well. You do realize the game is played on Ice right. Its a winter game. Winter is buried deep within the Fabric of the Sport. Why else would the game be as popular as it is in places where it gets really cold.

AtomBlaster

Mar 3, 2011
Winnipeg, Mb

I have a better appreciation for that feeling this year than ever before. Went on a cruise over Christmas and didn't want to venture outside the rest of the winter. Going from +25C to -26C in 7 hours was tough to take.

I feel sorry for fans like yourself having to be dragged through this so long. We had the lame duck season which wasn't easy but we at least knew what was going to happen and it was our chance to be upset and then say goodbye.

If the Coyotes do leave and come to Winnipeg it would be nice if the legacy of the two cities were maintained. I have always thought it was a sign of class how Phoenix honored the numbers & players retired by the Jets. But let's cross that bridge when/if it happens, any sooner is premature.

Bruinbear

Aug 10, 2010
New England

A bleacher report on top us hockey states made NHL.com recently.

10. Pennsylvania , 9. New Jersey, 8. Illinois, 7.Alaska, 6. Wisconsin, 5. Connecticut, 4. Massachusetts, 3. New york, 2. Michigan, 1.Minnesota

Is it a Coincidence that the top 10 states are Cold weather. What else is there to do in the winter?

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
Don't be so sensitive about my climate comments. And yes, I do understand hockey is played on ice. I actually spent 30 years in a traditional hockey market. I grew up playing hockey outdoors on ice. My family came down to the US from Winnipeg. These factors are not lost on me. I might suggest factors that favor Phoenix as a desirable climate are being ignored by you.

Anyway, I admit this is getting off topic so I will defer to the "group-think" that seems to control these boards at times and acknowledge that hockey should always be played in a climate that supports an outdoor game. But having said that, let's knock great markets like St. Louis, DC, Vancouver, San Jose, LA, Anahiem, Dallas, and probably Denver off the list since you don't have much outdoor hockey in any of those markets either.

It just seems like some people go out of their way to pick a fight. Geezzz.:shakehead

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007

I said this before too. If these claims of Phoenix being such an attractive market for players were true....you would see teams like the Coyotes, Stars, Ducks, Panthers, Kings, Lightning, etc. dominating on a regular basis.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad