Phoenix LXXXIX: If you don't approve it, we must move it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
There's a bunch of us in that boat.

Glendale next season based on "tentative" deal, elsewhere the season after based on deal never actually closing.

IMO, what tripped the league up here is the NBA not giving Seattle a team.

I agree that the NHL for some odd reason hung all its relocation options on the NBA Sacramento Kings deal IMO. They completely ignored QC, at least from all appearances, as an option for the Coyotes. They are paying for it now.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
I guess it's up to the Glendale city council to figure out if they want to be the council to turn away one of Phoenix's professional sports clubs, or if they want to be the council that flung their city in gigantic debt.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I am going to state what might appear to be the obvious: It really does look to be down to crunch time on this thing.

Of course those of us who have been there since the start, and almost everyone who has followed this at all know that one can just never be sure.

I guess it's up to the Glendale city council to figure out if they want to be the council to turn away one of Phoenix's professional sports clubs, or if they want to be the council that flung their city in gigantic debt.

The NHL has done a pretty good job of making it look like the choice is all on the CoG, and as a result insulating themselves to a degree. But ultimately if the team does leave it will be because for the two parties there was simply no reasonable business model that could work for both sides.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Is it true that from all the additional revenue streams promised by RSE yesterday, with the new CBA, 50% of those revenue should go to the players.

Therefore, instead of the $7,330,145 promise by RSE, Glendale would only have half of it? Shouldn't someone tell the city council before they vote?

Huh? That's not even close to how it would work.

BDEuph

Hotty Toddy
Feb 3, 2009
OT, but of all the scenarios, why did you have to use THAT EXACT ONE?

And I told myself I wouldn't pay Nova Scotia prices just to drink away the memory of Monday night...

Sorry, trust me as Blues fan that game made me wanna drink all the woodford I had in my cabinet.I hate the hawks with a passion...burning passion

SuicideCamel

Jun 28, 2013
Southern Maine

Talk about being stuck between a rock and a hard place. Not even sure if there are winners at this point, no matter the outcome.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Talk about being stuck between a rock and a hard place. Not even sure if there are winners at this point, no matter the outcome.

Well another way to look at it. city votes no then there will be closure for the franchise if its yes then it delays it a few years.

JB52

Apr 6, 2012
Quebec City
Huh? That's not even close to how it would work.

Oh well, it's because I've heard Yvon Pedneault saying this a couple of times on Le Match, but I didn't heard anyone else mentioning it, so I was wondering.

So ticket surcharge and parking surcharge aren't hockey related revenue?

BeardedCanuck

Oct 13, 2012
Oh well, it's because I've heard Yvon Pednault saying this a couple of times on Le Match, but I didn't heard anyone else mentioning it, so I was wondering.

Wouldn't think so I think that would fall under arena revenue.

halligan10

Mar 6, 2012
Palm Harbor
Pretty much what Dado says tommy. Just look at the mess of that deal? Im sitting at that table, BOG's, and Bettman wants me to approve an $85M loan to these guys? Accept on face value that they'll actually achieve their projections with Glendales $15M AMF paying the interest on a $120M loan from the highly litigious & sharp clawed Fortress? That I should approve these rookie neophytes, the lead investor with a whopping $10M in the pot? This isnt a sale let alone a solution, this a nightmare waiting to happen.

This is so true..so if this is accepted, the NHL at one point will tell the CoG That the deal is dead because the clowns were not approved by the BoG...Oh my :shakehead....But at the same time why would the BoG tell Bettman to have the CoG to to approve it if they already know that they dont want RSE as a owner??

barneyg

Apr 22, 2007
Did you want to trade and sway?

Start here: Schedule A; Page 3

Then here: Same schedule/page. See any names that sound familiar?

Knaack has some friends also.

Now take this Schedule A @ Pg 5

And then this Letter

Tell me if you see a pattern.

:nod:

Nice work :handclap:

Is it true that from all the additional revenue streams promised by RSE yesterday, with the new CBA, 50% of those revenue should go to the players.

Therefore, instead of the $7,330,145 promise by RSE, Glendale would only have half of it? Shouldn't someone tell the city council before they vote?

Oh well, it's because I've heard Yvon Pednault saying this a couple of times on Le Match, but I didn't heard anyone else mentioning it, so I was wondering.

It's strange that Pedneault would still have no clue how HRR works.. I mean it's the 2nd CBA with this system.

Whether or not surcharges are HRR isn't relevant. League-wide HRR determines how much league-wide players ought to get. The players don't directly get a cut of revenues. The team could promise 100% of its revenues to Glendale, all that would mean is that they would have huge losses because they would still need to pay their players. Wouldn't change what Glendale is owed.

Dado

But at the same time why would the BoG tell Bettman to have the CoG to to approve it if they already know that they dont want RSE as a owner??

Buying time for Seattle to get its arena situation in order.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
With the mayor coming out pretty strongly against this, is it really in the NHL's interest to keep the team in Glendale?

They'll be in a position where an elected mayor is openly campaigning against a sitting NHL team while the city sees a reduction of services.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
This is so true..so if this is accepted, the NHL at one point will tell the CoG That the deal is dead because the clowns were not approved by the BoG...Oh my :shakehead....But at the same time why would the BoG tell Bettman to have the CoG to to approve it if they already know that they dont want RSE as a owner??

With what Dado and Killion are thinking perhaps its Bettman that is fine with RSE and is telling CoG that they must approve it by july 2nd but the BOG is not fine with RSE and will reject it regardless of the vote.

halligan10

Mar 6, 2012
Palm Harbor

They dont even know if its going to happen. I mean the chances are high but its not set in stone. Oh well lets just see what happen. BTW your picture is freakin funny...I showed my wife last night :naughty: JK

halligan10

Mar 6, 2012
Palm Harbor
With what Dado and Killion are thinking perhaps its Bettman that is fine with RSE and is telling CoG that they must approve it by july 2nd but the BOG is not fine with RSE and will reject it regardless of the vote.

Exactly my point...its a waste of time. We all know the NHL have a plan B so lets just get over this BS!

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

Another thought perhaps the whole RSE group to fail by design to give the league an out that we tried but say no then approve seattle and relocate team to seattle. This would make sense if the NBA kings to Seattle actually happened.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON

Or perhaps it doesn't even make it that far. If CoG votes yes, RSE or whatever they call themselves now will day 'great, we'll just finish up our financing with fortress and we're set'.

Weeks will turn into months and the cycle continues.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Or perhaps it doesn't even make it that far. If CoG votes yes, RSE or whatever they call themselves now will day 'great, we'll just finish up our financing with fortress and we're set'.

Weeks will turn into months and the cycle continues.

Now there is a question does RSE have a deadline with the NHL to buy team.

halligan10

Mar 6, 2012
Palm Harbor
Another thought perhaps the whole RSE group to fail by design to give the league an out that we tried but say no then approve seattle and relocate team to seattle. This would make sense if the NBA kings to Seattle actually happened.

gs there is always a "If" when it comes down to Seattle.

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
From the Bowers email
Yet, Mr. Bowers, you already know the answer to that...

I'll be most interested to see if Weiers moves on Recital J and K. Those technicalities flow back to Bowers via:

Sec. 2-147. - Emergency purchases.
(a) The materials manager may procure and contract for supplies and services without compliance with the procedures set forth in sections 2-145 and 2-146 of this Code when there has been a determination that an emergency purchase is necessary.
(b) The requesting department head shall be responsible for determining the validity of all emergency purchase requests.
(c) Emergency purchases shall be confirmed by filing a purchase requisition marked "emergency" to the materials manager no later than noon the next working day. A complete written explanation shall be signed by the department head and transmitted with the requisition.
(d) City manager directives for emergency purchases of material and services prescribe procedures for emergency purchases.
(Ord. No. 1233, § 3.111, 6-7-83; Ord. No. 1605, § 1, 6-13-89; Ord. No. 2184, § 1, 2-13-01)

Sec. 2-148. - Sole source procurements.
(a) The materials manager may procure and contract for supplies and services without compliance with the procedures set forth in sections 2-145 and 2-146 of this Code when there has been a written determination that competition is not available and there is only one (1) known source for the supply or service.
(b) The agency requesting a sole source procurement shall provide a written determination, in such manner and on such form as the materials manager shall prescribe, justifying the basis for the sole source procurement.
(c) Award of a sole source procurement which exceeds the formal purchase dollar threshold shall require the approval of the city council. City manager directives for sole source procurements of materials and services prescribes procedures for sole source procurement.
(Ord. No. 1233, § 3.112, 6-7-83; Ord. No. 1605, § 1, 6-13-89; Ord. No. 2184, § 1, 2-13-01)

It seems possible that Staff could opt not to define it as an emergency purchase. It seems less likely that Staff would determine that competition is available.

Not sure that they would act on either though, as Bowers is pretty clear in his email: "Whatever you finally decide we will make happen."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad