Phoenix LXXXIX: If you don't approve it, we must move it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
A win is a win, of course, but there is also such a thing as a Pyrrhic victory.

Its much easier to keep a team than it is to get a team these days. Also be grateful that the NHL cared enough to try everything to keep team there. And not just move the team after one failure attempt to find a solution like NBA did with Seattle.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
Great thread title. Pretty accurate, too. If they don't approve it, they will move it.

That said, even if they do approve it, I'm sure there will be another one to six years of circus mess to follow.

Ugh. Just can't win as a Coyotes fan. Everything is always a little bit tainted. Every piece of great news is followed by a "...but..."

Whoa is me. Haha. :)

There's one thing I hope for:

That if the vote is ''YES''; there wont be more drama (with Goldwater and etc...), but that rather RSE will buy the team IMMIDIATELY!

I just want this to end! And I want the NHL to start an expansion process now that all teams are stable so there wont be a stupid Seattle-Québec blood feud, but rather happiness for all!

But it's never that simple, is it? :(

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

That if the vote is ''YES''; there wont be more drama (with Goldwater and etc...), but that rather RSE will buy the team IMMIDIATELY!

I just want this to end! And I want the NHL to start an expansion process now that all teams are stable so there wont be no Seattle-Québec blood feud, but rather happiness for all!

Never is. The question is will NHL will treat expansion for seattle the same as they would as relocation (as if we got the coyotes) in regards assurances of sodo arena will happen.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Appropriate gif for this thread

johnnie-cochran-2-o.gif

BeardedCanuck

Oct 13, 2012

I just want this to end! And I want the NHL to start an expansion process now that all teams are stable so there wont be a stupid Seattle-Québec blood feud, but rather happiness for all!

I haven't been following closely enough, but is it almost a guarantee that Goldwater won't get involved?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I haven't been following closely enough, but is it almost a guarantee that Goldwater won't get involved?

No idea. I think its a wait and see on how they will react cause they can't react until there is an approving deal.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
That if the vote is ''YES''; there wont be more drama (with Goldwater and etc...), but that rather RSE will buy the team IMMEDIATELY!

I'd like to see that myself, because I dont think they have a hope in Hell of receiving BOG approval & Bettman knows it. Instead, he'll ask that the AMUL be revived while they "work things through", RSE never closing, another year of uncertainty, smooth transition Spring 2014 to either Seattle or QC. The $6.0M allocated for AM paid to the NHL.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
At least be glad the team is staying for the time being if they approve it.

haha. Easy for you to say. Our best case scenario is being owned by the Ice Edge clowns, up to their eyeballs in dedt, with no freaking clue what they're doing or how they'll ever break even or pay down their insane loans.

That's not even considering the horrifying prospect that one or more of these clowns might decide to be "hands on" in the hockey ops side of things. Or they might want to put their own stamp on our inevitable re-brand.

Say hello to your 2014-2015 ARIZONA ICE...

...captained by Marian Gaborik who we traded OEL and a 1st for because Gaborik "SCOREZZZ MAWRRR GOLEZZZ #aziceclowns"

The fans like the goals, you see. Make more money that way. Which is why the went ahead and fired Tippett and re-hired Wayne Gretzky to coach the team again. Fans like the Wayne. Makes more money.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Sherwood ran on a pro-hockey platform so he almost has to vote yes. Knaack was a swing vote last time but has apparently decided to cast her lot with the Coyotes. Alverez has been adamantly opposed all along and for all the heat she has taken she has stuck to her guns. Weirs has been publicly opposed for so long I can't imagine him being in favor of the deal. That makes it 2-2. Both Hugh and Chiava ran on anti-Coyotes platforms and Chiava in particular ran against the most pro-Coyotes member of council and his campaign was essentially made by Alverez. It would be stunning for either Hugh or Chiava to vote yes.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I'd like to see that myself, because I dont think they have a hope in Hell of receiving BOG approval & Bettman knows it. Instead, he'll ask that the AMUL be revived while they "work things through", RSE never closing, another year of uncertainty, smooth transition Spring 2014 to either Seattle or QC. The $6.0M allocated for AM paid to the NHL.

Wait so your thinking that CoG approves it but BOG votes no on sale anyways?

JB52

Apr 6, 2012
Quebec City
Is it true that from all the additional revenue streams promised by RSE yesterday, with the new CBA, 50% of those revenue should go to the players.

Therefore, instead of the $7,330,145 promise by RSE, Glendale would only have half of it? Shouldn't someone tell the city council before they vote?

Dado

There's a bunch of us in that boat.

Glendale next season based on "tentative" deal, elsewhere the season after based on deal never actually closing.

IMO, what tripped the league up here is the NBA not giving Seattle a team.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
There's a bunch of us in that boat.

Glendale next season based on "tentative" deal, elsewhere the season after based on deal never actually closing.

How soon would the BoG vote on it assuming there is approval. If its vote down quickly couldn't they quickly approve back up plan?

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
Good, would like to see a NO vote.

Sherwood ran on a pro-hockey platform so he almost has to vote yes. Knaack was a swing vote last time but has apparently decided to cast her lot with the Coyotes. Alverez has been adamantly opposed all along and for all the heat she has taken she has stuck to her guns. Weirs has been publicly opposed for so long I can't imagine him being in favor of the deal. That makes it 2-2. Both Hugh and Chiava ran on anti-Coyotes platforms and Chiava in particular ran against the most pro-Coyotes member of council and his campaign was essentially made by Alverez. It would be stunning for either Hugh or Chiava to vote yes.

NickWIHockey

Jan 3, 2013
Port Washington, WI
I dont mind changing the thread title. just glad my thread got the ok:nod: now as for the vote, I'd have to imagine it getting shot down. Glendale doesn't have 15 million to give, its hard enough scraping together 6 million. and RSE wont be able to get a loan without that 15 million. so unless Glendale wants its credit rating dropped to ' steaming pile' it will reject the 15 million AMF. Of course this is the same city that forked over 50 million as " insurance', so them doing something really fiscally stupid isn't new.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
How many threads we will run through till the tuesday night vote 1? 2? 3?

Should we start a prediction thread for how the vote will turn out?

Ithink they will shock the world and go with 5-2 for staying in Glendale

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
How many threads we will run through till the tuesday night vote 1? 2? 3?

Should we start a prediction thread for how the vote will turn out?

Ithink they will shock the world and go with 5-2 for staying in Glendale

No way there would be that many yes votes. It'll be approved 4-3 or be rejected 4-3 or 5-2.

BDEuph

Hotty Toddy
Feb 3, 2009
Its 2-1 late in the 3rd, CoG will somehow score 2 and pass this thing on tuesday. Its politics 101...kickback city.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
From the Bowers email

Granted, I am very conservative in City budget matters. Glendale cannot afford a failure. The potential of failure exists as a dark shadow in the absence of the investors standing by thieir own numbers with confidence enough to simply take them for themselves and do the deal for 6.5.

There it is. Yet, Mr. Bowers, you already know the answer to that...

BnGBear1970

OopsICrappedMyPants
Jul 24, 2004
Its 2-1 late in the 3rd, CoG will somehow score 2 and pass this thing on tuesday. Its politics 101...kickback city.

OT, but of all the scenarios, why did you have to use THAT EXACT ONE?

And I told myself I wouldn't pay Nova Scotia prices just to drink away the memory of Monday night...

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

There's a bunch of us in that boat. Glendale next season based on "tentative" deal, elsewhere the season after based on deal never actually closing.IMO, what tripped the league up here is the NBA not giving Seattle a team.

Pretty much what Dado says tommy. Just look at the mess of that deal? Im sitting at that table, BOG's, and Bettman wants me to approve an $85M loan to these guys? Accept on face value that they'll actually achieve their projections with Glendales $15M AMF paying the interest on a $120M loan from the highly litigious & sharp clawed Fortress? That I should approve these rookie neophytes, the lead investor with a whopping $10M in the pot? This isnt a sale let alone a solution, this a nightmare waiting to happen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad