Phoenix LXXX: Is there another way out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

enarwpg

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
As they say, there's a price for everything. It would likely be at a price point that would make a deal very unlikely. It would have to be more than what the owners would get from concerts and other events that could be held on those dates. In addition, there would be all the seating issues and other problems that existed when the team left US Airways Center. On top of that, there might be scheduling problems with already booked events and Suns games. It is theoretically possible, but not practical.

Seeing Jobing.com hasn't been filled to the rafters every night over the course of its existence, what difference would it make if some of the US Airway seating is bad ... OR ... is every seat bad? Not likely.

So even if more fans do show up (due to the arena being in a more central location) it's quite likely the arena still wouldn't be sold out on a nightly basis meaning those bad seats wouldn't be filled in any case (due to huge increases ticket prices in order to run operations like a going concern instead of a charity for fans). :shakehead

But hey, what the hell do I know. :sarcasm:

enarwpg

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Maybe it would be more prudent to see what happens after Tuesday's session when the Glendale Council is briefed on the NHL offer(s) vs RFP responses, then provides direction to the city staff on how to proceed. Or maybe it's better to misinterpret minor nuances and then spastically overreact. Whichever.

Knowing that the city is not prepared to go over the $6 million AMF and seeing as we haven't heard there were NO offers, leading on to believe at least offer at or below the $6 million has been received.

If that's the case it's likely that
a) CoG will go with that proponent :handclap: or
b) Gosbee will attempt to go $0.25 less than the recieved bid :shakehead BUT more than likely
c) CoG will go with that proponent because Gosbee and friends have no experience in running a one car funeral procession let alone a 17,125 seat arena..... :laugh:

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg
Why does anyone think USairways arena is an option? They would need to pay millions in rent. Even if they increase attendance by 10-15% they'd still lose 25-30 million.

Quebec will have one of THE best arenas in the NHL in 2 years, the old collisee is far from great but has a few more seats then MTS Centre and the Nordiques could do fine there for 2 years. In PKP they'd have an owner rich enough to survive any bumps in the future.
Yes Bettman & a lot of the BoG's may prefer Seattle but it's not an option now and in the future Seattle can be a soft landing place for a faltering franchise OR be an expansion target.

DyerMaker66*

Yeah, if the Coyotes move to Quebec City, there's one less option for future relocations and/or relocation threats. Winnipeg's off the table too. If the Panthers, for example, need to move in 2015, where could they go?

200px-Hamilton_Tigers_Logo.svg.png

;)

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
Knowing that the city is not prepared to go over the $6 million AMF and seeing as we haven't heard there were NO offers, leading on to believe at least offer at or below the $6 million has been received.

If that's the case it's likely that
a) CoG will go with that proponent :handclap: or
b) Gosbee will attempt to go $0.25 less than the recieved bid :shakehead BUT more than likely
c) CoG will go with that proponent because Gosbee and friends have no experience in running a one car funeral procession let alone a 17,125 seat arena..... :laugh:
What if they don't get a bid asking for money what if somebody put a bid saying. "I take 10% of every profit we make booking shows you keep the lights on and we split the cost 9/1."

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
The increased price of the team for sale year after year is only an issue if the NHL keeps trying to sell the team. Maybe they will decide to just run the arena for $6M/yr and eat the losses ..... forever.

Too bad we can't get the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) in on this... :sarcasm:

The sale price must be a reduction from the actual, bona fide 'asking' price that was offered on a regular basis, over a reasonable period of time.

The time has been unreasonable, and I believe, will end when Gary, again, says, 'sooner rather than later." :laugh:

Also, didn't Gary state that the current NHL owners, propping up this franchise, will not lose a dime? ;)

GF

Nov 4, 2012
The NY Times looked at the relocation options.

5887_10200796025675683_823676086_n.jpg

When was that published?

Can it be that the NHL is preparing a relocation by showing everyone how good a market QCity is?
Is the NYTimes usually a NHL friendly paper?
This is interesting...

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
When was that published?

Can it be that the NHL is preparing a relocation by showing everyone how good a market QCity is?
This is interesting...
Interesting that it also come after the Forbes article. I did not think of that angle. I wonder who gave Nate Silver the nudge to lead him to that subject?

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
So far it mostly true he did not lose a dime of the NHL money but only because he cleaned up a few rubes to do it.

And they wont, but what some may abhor is the manner in which he's thus far gone about it. Pretty crooked road.
Dragging the league through the desert on a horse with no name... www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQzW6wz2JQk

From the City of Glendale's perspective, it is more like 'can you spare a dime'... :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F4yT0KAMyo

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
When was that published?

This is interesting...

it was just part of a statistical breakdown by Nate Silver, I wouldn't read anything at all into it (he suggests a two team contraction and the relocation of four other teams to Ontario, Quebec and Seattle so yeah)

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Well it's now June and this saga is about to enter it's 50th month. Since the schedule needs to be done something needs to give in terms of a resolution with an actual decision this month with one of the following outcomes:

1) Team is finally sold to a group (i.e. RSE) and the team stays in Glendale mid to long terms. Sold being defined as a bona fide BoG approval.
2) Team is sold and moved to another market (i.e. to PKP to QC)
3) NHL decides to keep the team in Glendale for the 13/14 season, either a one year AMUL with the city or a one year lease with the new arena manager
4) NHL suspends operation and moves forward with a 29 team league next season

Am I missing any other possibilities?

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
it was just part of a statistical breakdown by Nate Silver, I wouldn't read anything at all into it (he suggests a two team contraction and the relocation of four other teams to Ontario, Quebec and Seattle so yeah)
Ideas are rarely born in a vacuum. If somebody was to sell a spin PR wise they could have dropped a suggestion or two to some peoples at NYT that this is an interesting subject to look at.

Well it's now June and this saga is about to enter it's 50th month. Since the schedule needs to be done something needs to give in terms of a resolution with an actual decision this month with one of the following outcomes:

1) Team is finally sold to a group (i.e. RSE) and the team stays in Glendale mid to long terms. Sold being defined as a bona fide BoG approval.
3) NHL decides to keep the team in Glendale for the 13/14 season, either a one year AMUL with the city or a one year lease with the new arena manager

5) The BoG go over Gary head because of the ridiculousness of the deal details and force a relocation.
But off course we never hear about it if that happen.

Last edited:

JB52

Apr 6, 2012
Quebec City

If you want to reduce it to all possibilities, I guess you have to add two unlikely scenarios.

1b) Team is finally sold to a group but they have to run a lame duck season in glendale because it's too late too move them.

3b) NHL decides to keep the team in Glendale for more than one season. For some unknown reason, next spring, they feel like they are just two weeks from selling the team and somehow it derails... again.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Yeah, if the Coyotes move to Quebec City, there's one less option for future relocations and/or relocation threats. Winnipeg's off the table too. If the Panthers, for example, need to move in 2015, where could they go?

Why doesn't NHL just keep Quebec in a limbo for ever. You guys are candidates for the next relocation. And when that comes just tell us that we need to stay as a backup plan and move the team elsewhere.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Jets Hockey Forum ‏@NHLWinnipeg 16h
#ShakeDown RT @mxdan316 Craig Morgan: "The NHL is pressuring them (#Glendale) to get something on paper as early as next week" #Coyotes

Apparently the Fox Sports Arizona reporter mentioned it on a radio program Friday. I don't see how the NHL actually has any leverage in this situation anymore.

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012
Apparently the Fox Sports Arizona reporter mentioned it on a radio program Friday. I don't see how the NHL actually has any leverage in this situation anymore.

Why does Glendale have to put something on paper? RSE or the NHL have to put in a bid first.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Does someone want to breakdown for me what exactly is going on with the situation? I'm not one who has been paying close attention to this but has going in and out.. Is this new deal with the NHL funding a lot of the money meaning that relocation is likely not happening?

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012
Does someone want to breakdown for me what exactly is going on with the situation? I'm not one who has been paying close attention to this but has going in and out.. Is this new deal with the NHL funding a lot of the money meaning that relocation is likely not happening?

Nothing has changed except for the names. We're in the same position we've been for the last four years. We have another group, Renaissance Sports and Entertainment, that wants the Coyotes but wants to spend as little of it's own money in purchasing in the team. The NHL funding of the deal shows how desperate the NHL is more than a likelyhood of the team staying. Glendale seems set on not paying more than $6 million for someone to manage Jobing.com Arena, a difference from past regimes. This may cause the proposed to deal to collapse since it is unlikely Fortress Investments will be happy with the $6 million amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad