Phoenix LXXVI: Renaissance Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I really doubt that the NHL would contemplate managing the team in Glendale next year. If they don't have a viable ownership candidate that could come to a suitable long-term lease, then it will be a lame duck season, evident to all. That could be a financial catastrophe, and decimate the hockey side of the operation for any future sale.

I don't know? I could see the NHL going in for one more year IF it looks like there "might" be some progress towards a local purchase. Because at the end of the day, how is that any different than what has happened for the last 3 seasons? The trick is of course to convince the ticket buying public that its not a lame duck season, but a continuation of a "process". The trick is also to get the GM and the coach to stay on. It's all about the message. I guess it's also about Bettman convincing the other owners to cover the expenses of running the team.

:dunno:

CC Superfan

Nov 14, 2012
I can't see the NHL extending this into another "ongoing process" season. Not without $25M from Glendale to absorb a full season's losses and especially not after Tippett, Maloney and Smith seem ready to walk without some closure this summer.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

7.5 minutes into his first game back and Sid already has 2 goals. :)

Not since I saw Killion get MORE than a dozen "phone numbers" from different women at the Toronto Senior's Home 2012 Christmas Party (he convinced me to crash the event with him), have I EVER seen anyone sooooo good at something. :nod:

Just teasing, buddy - I know it was more like 2 dozen.
;)

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Just teasing, buddy - I know it was more like 2 dozen.;)

Oh Gawd Kevy, Ive given up on women (all ages) after 5 marriages, their just to hard to
figure out... complicated. Oh sure,I watch all the shows for advice, but still, like, whats this?

6qrY38c.jpg

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Oh Gawd Kevy, Ive given up on women after 5 marriages, their just to hard to figure
out... like, complicated. Oh sure,I watch all the shows for advice, but still, whats this?

6qrY38c.jpg

:laugh: You always make me laugh, buddy. :)

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
:laugh: You always make me laugh, buddy. :)

Ya, well, for sure these posts are being wiped so instead of half assed, I like to go whole assed, so much more satisfying.... so, this isnt me, but one of my ex's did rig the lawnmower just like this poor saps. Nearly kilt me Kevy. :shakehead

VlwnFao.gif

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Ya, well, for sure these posts are being wiped so instead of half assed, I like to go whole assed, so much more satisfying.... so, this isnt me, but one of my ex's did rig the lawnmower just like this poor saps. Nearly kilt me Kevy. :shakehead

VlwnFao.gif

:laugh:

I'm sure she had her reasons, Kil.

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013
I completely agree... the timeline doesn't work.

My guess is that the NHL has a relocation option already lined up (probably QC), and if the Gosbee group comes up short with the NHL, or if the COG can't ram through an unencumbered lease agreement within a few weeks, the Coyotes will be relocated before next season. I can't imagine that they would see any advantage to owning the team through a full "lame duck" season. I expect that the NHL also knows that the Glendale option is hanging by a thread, and is likely using all of these discussions as a ploy to leverage the best deal possible from the suitors in QC.

Interesting crossroads the NHL is at. If they gamble to try and push through a new owner to keep the Coyotes there, the timeline is as such that if the deal falls apart, the team is stuck in Glendale for another season and the NHL is left holding the bag (the bag nobody wants).

That there just doesnt appear to be any action, nothing going on in Glendale at City Hall suggests to me the NHL's already pulled the chord, landing elsewhere. Just doesnt make sense. If this was real real Bettman & or Daly would be camped out in Glendale, Council being forced to deal with whatever it was/is that's being proposed. No way does one adopt a completely laissez faire attitude & position about things as Daly seems to have done unless decisions of import havent already been made, a determination as to the disposition & location of the franchise already determined. Either there staying put for yet another year (and Id give that less than a 10% chance of happening) or this is all but over for Phoenix.

It is too quiet. Heck, even for a legitimate illegitimate scam like when Bettman pulled the strings and appeared in a stand-up act with his dummy Jamison dancing a JIG. If there was a real owner, there would be more PR, if there was a fake owner trying to bilk Glendale, there would be more PR and a public appearance by the Great Gosbee. That suggests maybe the NHL knows Glendale won't give them much of anything and they didn't even care to assemble a fake timeline of events within the confines of the real timeline (deadline for relocation to be able to ice a team next season elsewhere).

With all the clowns, white elephants, and contortionists in this show, has anyone ever contacted Barnum & Bailey Circus to see if they want to add a hockey team to their traveling sideshow? :laugh: P.T. Barnum's old quote seemed more relevant in Glendale than any other place given what's happened there.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

I'm sure she had her reasons, Kil.

Kevy? I simply responded to her comment that "Jonathon Toews is cute". Told her that "as he was born in 1988, you were too old to be his Granny let alone conceive or safely give birth back even then.... Heck, wasnt that when Billy Ocean had his one and only chart topper, Getta Outta My Dreams, Get into My Car"?... Well Sir, apparently she took extreme offence. Rigged the Lawnboy. Whats a fella supposed to do?

...suggests maybe the NHL knows Glendale won't give them much of anything and they didn't even care to assemble a fake timeline of events within the confines of the real timeline (deadline for relocation to be able to ice a team next season elsewhere).

Doesnt smell right does it? As in set-up. I just dont see how they even have the time to take the chance on a possible local sale unless they intend to stay parked for another year.... but that too doesnt make much sense. Maloney & Tippet, various players entering FA & UFA, the Draft etc. Its just gone beyond bizarre. No sense of urgency, no action, nothin.

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
I don't know? I could see the NHL going in for one more year IF it looks like there "might" be some progress towards a local purchase. Because at the end of the day, how is that any different than what has happened for the last 3 seasons? The trick is of course to convince the ticket buying public that its not a lame duck season, but a continuation of a "process". The trick is also to get the GM and the coach to stay on. It's all about the message. I guess it's also about Bettman convincing the other owners to cover the expenses of running the team.

Unless it's announced by June 1 that the team is sold and staying in Arizona, Tippett and Maloney will most certainly choose to go elsewhere. There's no reason for them to re-sign here unless a local deal is done. They watched Doan agonize last summer on whether to re-sign here, and I don't see them putting themselves through the same torture.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Kevy? I simply responded to her comment that "Jonathon Toews is cute". Told her that "as he was born in 1988, you were too old to be his Granny let alone conceive or safely give birth back even then.... Heck, wasnt that when Billy Ocean had his one and only chart topper, Getta Outta My Dreams, Get into My Car"?... Well Sir, apparently she took extreme offence. Rigged the Lawnboy. Whats a fella supposed to do?

Wow. Sounds to me like SHE had it coming. ;)

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I don't see them putting themselves through the same torture.

The NHL, Gary Bettman, a lot to answer for...

Hell begins on the day when God grants us a clear vision of all that we might have achieved, of all the gifts which we have wasted, of all that we might have done which we did not do.
Gian Carlo Menotti

Wow. Sounds to me like SHE had it coming. ;)

A man only becomes wise when he calculates the approximate depth of his own ignorance.
Gian Carlo Menotti :)

... had the Lawnmower Ride coming no doubt.

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
Unless it's announced by June 1 that the team is sold and staying in Arizona, Tippett and Maloney will most certainly choose to go elsewhere. There's no reason for them to re-sign here unless a local deal is done. They watched Doan agonize last summer on whether to re-sign here, and I don't see them putting themselves through the same torture.
if they leave, would they be looking to go to the same team? 2for1 special?

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.

CB Really? I keep going back to the fact that the simple economics of owning this team do not add up! Perhaps a case could be made for local ownership if the COG collapsed and offered up GJ terms on a shortened basis with a liberal out clause. We both know that not only does the COG not have the funds they would be insane to give away cash without a long term lease! Additional revenues from added gate attractions or some parking scheme are not enough to push the bottom line into the black! Seat prices will need to increase at double digit levels each year to attain parity with other division and league rivals. Attendance will need to be SRO for EVERY game, I can go on and on with regards to the revenue shortfalls that are endemic to this location, team and market! Those who somehow have convinced themselves that with the right circumstances that somehow an owner can make a go of it are delusional. Seriously, get out a cocktail napkin and jot down the economic variables and any half wit can ascertain the likelihood of success! Certainly a multi-billionaire (Ie:Thompson/Winnipeg) could give it a try, lose millions and not care. These groups that are supposedly chasing this dying dog are doing so with limited resources and the hope that the COG/NHL will give them a sweetheart deal and a quick relocation clause! Sorry, it aint happening, time to move on, and please the NHL as dumb as they are will not remain for a truly lame duck affair, minus both Tippett and Maloney!:rant:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
if they leave, would they be looking to go to the same team? 2for1 special?

Its possible. No idea really. Is anyone looking to completely clean house? Maloney I could see winding up back in NYC, either with the Rangers or the league itself, Tippett, possibilities endless really. They could both just sign one year extensions as well though GS. I wish I knew, I guess we all do huh? :dunno:

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
Its possible. No idea really. Is anyone looking to completely clean house? Maloney I could see winding up back in NYC, either with the Rangers or the league itself, Tippett, possibilities endless really. They could both just sign one year extensions as well though GS. I wish I knew, I guess we all do huh? :dunno:
If the league want them they should both sign right now hell that what I do. If the team is sold to PKP he likely got his own peoples in mind so they get a free year out of it if the team stay put one more year in Phoenix is not the end of the world. But that the big question why did the league not sign both guy? I can think of one reason and one reason only.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
Im sure this has been covered by guess i missed it

The league had 5 or was it 7 days to renew their deal with the city
Did they pull the trigger or not?

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
I looked at the City Council Agenda for May 7. I don't see anything about the Coyotes. Am I right?

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
I looked at the City Council Agenda for May 7. I don't see anything about the Coyotes. Am I right?

Discussion for the purpose of giving instruction to city manager and city attorney regarding Arena and team, which are subject of negotiations, toward the end of the agenda.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Discussion for the purpose of giving instruction to city manager and city attorney regarding Arena and team, which are subject of negotiations, toward the end of the agenda.

That boilerplate is there pretty much every Executive Session - council meeting or workshop session.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
We need to come with a pool on where they'll play next year, and when the announcement will be made. Ten bucks an entry. Winner take all. The winner being the one who picks the right destination (including staying in Phoenix or suspension of play), and predicts to the nearest minute the time of the first minute of the official announcement. Paypal.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Here's how I think it'll go down... The NHL will sign some sort of agreement of purchase with an ownership group, but that agreement will be contingent of being able to negotiate a lease with Glendale in short order. Bettman will make it clear that the success of the deal is completely up to the city of Glendale (kind of bullying and/or putting the pressure squarely on Glendale.) Glendale city council will realize that they cannot ask fire/police services to cut their budget one day and award ten of millions of dollars to a professional sports team the next without losing popularity points... Especially because due to Bettman's lack of transparency with the current council, they know nothing about the potential owner of the club (after all, a politicians instinct is self preservation in office.) The potential ownership group would be looking for the JIG-esque deal that was forged under the administration of the last city council.

The "best before" date of the purchase agreement with the NHL will pass, and Bettman will announce that the city of Glendale is no longer interested in partnering with the NHL and the team has been sold to Quebec investors and will be relocating to Quebec City (or some other surprise market that has an arena already.)

Glendale then goes ahead and finds out that their arena is actually more profitable without having a money losing business taking up 41 dates a year. The Coyotes franchise is rebranded as the Nordiques and they find immediate success in Quebec, winning the Stanley Cup in the first year out of Phoenix...

I made the last part up, but after watching the Avs win the cup in 1996, don't Quebec fans deserve some retribution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad