Phoenix LXXVI: Renaissance Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
So I wonder-when would the discussion "end"? I mean yes if they relocated then that might stop it, but what if something occurs that the team gets bought and stays in Phoenix? Would the discussion soon turn into a discourse on how well/poorly the team is being managed?

I mean I could see the Yotes being sold and everyone thinking maybe we finally all "go home", but does it become (cynically) a matter of "how long before this fragile situation falls apart?"

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012
Interview with Bill Gallagher. Some thoughts on NHL ownership and whether Portland could support a NHL team. About Phoenix, and other rumored links of him to owning an NHL team..

I'm mentioned in a lot of rumors. It (NHL ownership) has got to be the right time, under the right circumstances, under the right situation. Whatever I do with the NHL, I'm not going to do anything else but continue to support and be a part of the Portland Winterhawks. I wouldn't trade one for the other.

http://www.oregonlive.com/hawks/index.ssf/2013/04/qa_with_winterhawks_owner_bill.html

Whileee

May 29, 2010
80:20 rule. I'd bet 20% of the guys account for 80% of those posts. They're just having a regular ol' party in here. ;)

We're lucky to have kdb here. He can count in Roman numerals. :sarcasm:

:nod:

And 80% of mine are really just regurgitating the the same 20 sentences I already posted.

And 80% of mine are responding to 20% of the 80% of the 20%.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
And 80% of mine are responding to 20% of the 80% of the 20%.

d245777abca64ece2d5d7ca0d19fddb6.png

We'll never get there.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
So nothing substantive's transpired over the past few days huh?...

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So nothing substantive's transpired over the past few days huh?...

Nothing public. It seems that the next development would be the finalization of a tentative purchase agreement with the NHL, subject to negotiation of a lease with the COG. Daly indicated that they were still doing due diligence on at least one group (probably Gosbee), and if things check out, they would hope to conclude an agreement. The heavy lifting is going to involve the lease negotiations, and all of the political drama that will inevitably surround that. If the new ownership groups want anything on the order of what Jamison was seeking, I can't see it being a smooth process. I expect that at some point the NHL will introduce a "timeline", even though they have not done so as yet.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The NHL needs this guy on the BOG... seriously. Can we start a campaign?

Daryl Jones ‏@HedgeyeDJ 33m
352 pm on Friday ... Too early to crack a wobbly pop ?

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Nothing public. It seems that the next development would be the finalization of a tentative purchase agreement with the NHL, subject to negotiation of a lease with the COG. Daly indicated that they were still doing due diligence on at least one group (probably Gosbee), and if things check out, they would hope to conclude an agreement. The heavy lifting is going to involve the lease negotiations, and all of the political drama that will inevitably surround that. If the new ownership groups want anything on the order of what Jamison was seeking, I can't see it being a smooth process. I expect that at some point the NHL will introduce a "timeline", even though they have not done so as yet.

This is the part that doesn't add up to me:

If any deal will require a new lease in Glendale; and any new lease in Glendale requires a vote; and any vote requires a 30-day referendum period*; what's the earliest the NHL could know to a certainty if they have a deal?

According to Daly there is no agreement with Team Gosbee or anyone else. So, as of now, the soonest the NHL could advance a purchaser; Glendale post notice of a vote; approve a lease; complete the referendum period, would be June 7. And that assumes there's already a lease drafted that's acceptable to both parties and no additional time would be needed for negotiation between the purchaser and the city (which is probably a very poor assumption)

It would appear that the timeline in Glendale already puts the NHL past the window for relocation. So if the deal hit the third rail, either because the potential owner cant close; the Fire and Police Unions kill the AMF via referendum; Goldwater gets an injunction; or any other awkward event, the league would be pretty much stuck with these options:
- operate the team in Glendale for the 13-14 Season (potentially as a leasee from the RFP management company)
- contract/suspend the operation of the franchise

I have to think if the NHL had a valid relocation offer from Quebec or anywhere else, they would have taken it by now and avoided the rather uncertain path in Glendale.

*assuming the city doesnt try for the "emergency clause" again, which would be an odd strategy based on the outcome of their previous attempt to use it.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

If any deal will require a new lease in Glendale; and any new lease in Glendale requires a vote; and any vote requires a 30-day referendum period*; what's the earliest the NHL could know to a certainty if they have a deal?

According to Daly there is no agreement with Team Gosbee or anyone else. So, as of now, the soonest the NHL could advance a purchaser; Glendale post notice of a vote; approve a lease; complete the referendum period, would be June 7. And that assumes there's already a lease drafted that's acceptable to both parties and no additional time would be needed for negotiation between the purchaser and the city (which is probably a very poor assumption)

It would appear that the timeline in Glendale already puts the NHL past the window for relocation. So if the deal hit the third rail, either because the potential owner cant close; the Fire and Police Unions kill the AMF via referendum; Goldwater gets an injunction; or any other awkward event, the league would be pretty much stuck with these options:
- operate the team in Glendale for the 13-14 Season (potentially as a leasee from the RFP management company)

I have to think if the NHL had a valid relocation offer from Quebec or anywhere else, they would have taken it by now and avoided the rather uncertain path in Glendale.

*assuming the city doesnt try for the "emergency clause" again, which would be an odd strategy based on the outcome of their previous attempt to use it.

Yeah. What the eff?

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com

If they relocate it got to happen very soon. I still go back to the league wanting a scapegoat or an excuse before they do pull the plug and that may explain Bill Daly media tour lately.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
This is the part that doesn't add up to me:If any deal will require a new lease in Glendale; and any new lease in Glendale requires a vote; and any vote requires a 30-day referendum period*; what's the earliest the NHL could know to a certainty if they have a deal? According to Daly there is no agreement with Team Gosbee or anyone else...

Ya its not "adding up" from a logistical perspective in the least at this time. Gosbee's been hovering for several weeks (possibly a lot longer), the price is set, whatever negotiations with the league that need to be done shouldve been completed by now & expeditiously. Bettman & Daly can easily convene a BOG's meeting by teleconfrence and put forward whatever proposals have been floated, dealt with then & there, have Gosbee checked out (if the NHL hasent done that already then they truly are beyond hope). If the prospective purchasers are dealing directly with Beacon pursuant to the Lease & AMF, all parties more than familiar & cognizant as to what the COG can & cannot absorb, then this should be well past the point of "no agreement" to "agreement in principal".

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I completely agree... the timeline doesn't work.

My guess is that if the NHL does get a tentative sale agreement with Gosbee (or anyone else), they will take it to the COG with the stipulation that the lease is executed free and clear of legal challenges or a referendum by a certain date. That could perhaps happen if the new owners settle for $6.5 million or so for an annual AMF, and the GWI and other local groups all give their blessing. However, if the lease agreement includes substantially more for an AMF, I expect that at the very least they will have the referendum petition to deal with. In that case, I expect that the NHL would have to either resign itself to playing another year in Glendale, or just move on to a relocation option. Ken Jones would probably only have to file the appropriate petition papers to kill the deal, and forego his steamy Quixotic quest on the library steps.

Of course, the other option is for the COG to try the "Emergency ordinance" ploy again, straight out of the Craig Tindall playbook. You don't suppose that they'd have the panache to try that again, do you? ;)

My guess is that the NHL has a relocation option already lined up (probably QC), and if the Gosbee group comes up short with the NHL, or if the COG can't ram through an unencumbered lease agreement within a few weeks, the Coyotes will be relocated before next season. I can't imagine that they would see any advantage to owning the team through a full "lame duck" season. I expect that the NHL also knows that the Glendale option is hanging by a thread, and is likely using all of these discussions as a ploy to leverage the best deal possible from the suitors in QC.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Ya its not "adding up" from a logistical perspective in the least at this time. Gosbee's been hovering for several weeks (possibly a lot longer, the price is set, whatever negotiations with the league that need to be done shouldve been completed by now & expeditiously. Bettman & Daly can easily convene a BOG's meeting and put forward whatever proposals have been floated, dealt with then & there, have Gosbee checked out (if the NHL hasent done that already then they truly are beyond hope). If the prospective purchasers are dealing directly with Beacon, all parties more than familiar & cognizant as to what the COG can & cannot absorb, then this should be well past the point of "no agreement" to "agreement in principal".

Agreed, I recall Dreger mentioned last Thursday that a deal was supposed to be done in a week anyways, so being this week.

Maybe there's still a few i's to dot/t's to cross...what's another half-fortnight to wait :)

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Agreed, I recall Dreger mentioned last Thursday that a deal was supposed to be done in a week anyways, so being this week.

That there just doesnt appear to be any action, nothing going on in Glendale at City Hall suggests to me the NHL's already pulled the chord, landing elsewhere. Just doesnt make sense. If this was real real Bettman & or Daly would be camped out in Glendale, Council being forced to deal with whatever it was/is that's being proposed. No way does one adopt a completely laissez faire attitude & position about things as Daly seems to have done unless decisions of import havent already been made, a determination as to the disposition & location of the franchise already determined. Either there staying put for yet another year (and Id give that less than a 10% chance of happening) or this is all but over for Phoenix.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
That there just doesnt appear to be any action, nothing going on in Glendale at City Hall suggests to me the NHL's already pulled the chord, landing elsewhere. Just doesnt make sense. If this was real real Bettman & or Daly would be camped out in Glendale, Council being forced to deal with whatever it was/is that's being proposed. No way does one adopt a completely laissez faire attitude & position about things as Daly seems to have done unless decisions of import havent already been made, a determination as to the disposition & location of the franchise already determined. Either there staying put for yet another year (and Id give that less than a 10% chance of happening) or this is all but over for Phoenix.

Yup, I have a hard time believing that the leading groups wouldn't have started establishing the parameters of a deal with the COG, so that they are all ready to go once they finalize the purchase agreement with the NHL. It seems to me that the NHL knows that they aren't going to be able to get what they need from the COG, so this is all about timing, message control, and perhaps leverage with the QC group.

I really doubt that the NHL would contemplate managing the team in Glendale next year. If they don't have a viable ownership candidate that could come to a suitable long-term lease, then it will be a lame duck season, evident to all. That could be a financial catastrophe, and decimate the hockey side of the operation for any future sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad