Phoenix LXV: The word is... give me a minute.... "Omnishambles"... "Omnishambles"

Status
Not open for further replies.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Why would Jamison even rush to buy the team knowing full well the season is probably lost with the lockout, but then again receiving $11 million to manage an empty arena might be enticing.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Why would Jamison even rush to buy the team knowing full well the season is probably lost with the lockout, but then again receiving $11 million to manage an empty arena might be enticing.

My question is why does Jamison do this knowing pretty full well this thing is headed to the courts for a long court battle and possible overturning with a new council?

I guess the question is, does he get the 11 million right off, or does have to wait-surely he's not trying for a quick 11 million bucks? ;)

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
i think someone posted earlier that if a council member does not vote (lieberman) it automatically gets counted as a yes vote for the emergency clause aspect... so they would have 5 of the 7 votes..... although I could be wrong on that.

How could a rule like that exist?

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
i think someone posted earlier that if a council member does not vote (lieberman) it automatically gets counted as a yes vote for the emergency clause aspect... so they would have 5 of the 7 votes..... although I could be wrong on that.

My understanding is that it only applies to non-emerg situations.

Why do I have the feeling come Tuesday we're going to see an interesting spectacle as it applies to "how you interpet the rules"?

So, Tuesday I see one of two things happening:

An Emerg vote is put forth,and someone is going to cite "special circumstances" to try and work things through to pass the Emerg vote (which will be controversial and head to the courts IMO)

Or it ends up as a non-emerg vote, as Whileee suggested, and it passes, which opens it to review and overturning by new council (and probably also headed to court)

Either way I think we're headed to court again....

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Lieberman is no longer a member of city council. I can't see how they could record a vote on his behalf.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Lieberman is no longer a member of city council. I can't see how they could record a vote on his behalf.

And that's where I see there's going to be some interesting interpretation of council laws and rules as it pertains-I suspect there will be an argument made that, due to the special circumstances, that in this case Liebs seat would still quasi-count as a "yes" vote-because I'll bet you they argue that his seat techincally exists until the end of the council's mandate-ergo he's simply "vacant" as opposed to "no longer a member".

Wouldn't surprise me if they tried this (trying not to "bet" LOL)

Last edited by a moderator:

habsinottawa

May 9, 2011
And that's where I see there's going to be some interesting interpretation of council laws and rules as it pertains-I suspect there will be an argument made that, due to the special circumstances, that in this case Liebs seat would still quasi-count as a "yes" vote-because I'll bet you they argue that his seat techincally exists until the end of the council's mandate-ergo he's simply "vacant" as opposed to "no longer a member".

Man, this is going to get interesting quick.:handclap:

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012

This just conjecture, but if that's the case, and they can't possibly get to the 5 votes they need, is it possible that Scruggs as mayor has an influence in how an ordinance is presented, and thus, had it worded as an emergency so it couldn't pass?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
This just conjecture, but if that's the case, and they can't possibly get to the 5 votes they need, is it possible that Scruggs as mayor has an influence in how an ordinance is presented, and thus, had it worded as an emergency so it couldn't pass?

I thought that it was the city manager that prepared motions, but I could be wrong.

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
I thought that it was the city manager that prepared motions, but I could be wrong.

Maybe Clark or one of the other supporters wrote the motion. Not understanding what 5/7ths means would fit right in with their understanding of the math of this whole deal.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Now THAT would be fascinating-deliberately posing something that you knew wouldn't pass so you could kill a deal?

IF that's the case, sounds like the council are departing on.....less than friendly terms!

Tuesday is going to be fascinating....

JMT21

I Give A Dam!
Aug 8, 2011
In My House
Maybe someone should call California and get Phil off his recliner. His constituents need him. :naughty:

Assuming the lease is valid based on the purchase of the team then I'm assuming the new council can overturn the lease IF GJ doesn't buy the team before they take office in early January.

Mr. Bettman is mighty busy these days... the COG might not be high on his "things to do" list.

Will the COG ask GJ to reveal his investors before the vote.......... mmmmmmmm... NO. :p:

objectiveposter

Jan 29, 2011
its still mind blowing that jamison hasnt revealed his investors yet... wouldnt the tax payers of glendale have a right to know who is receiving the funds to potentially avoid a conflict of interest? what if its the indian nation?

if this deal goes forward on tuesday the city might start laying off workers soon... and yet there is still no guarantee jamison has the money considering he refuses to name his partners....

David_99

Jan 16, 2005
Moncton, NB
On Tuesday, when asked when they could expect him to actually buy the team, did Skeete not say that Jameson would need another 4 to 6 weeks to even complete the sale? I'm 99% sure I heard him say that or something along those lines. Anyone else remember that?

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
On Tuesday, when asked when they could expect him to actually buy the team, did Skeete not say that Jameson would need another 4 to 6 weeks to even complete the sale? I'm 99% sure I heard him say that or something along those lines. Anyone else remember that?

I remember reading that somewhere as well

Whileee

May 29, 2010

And then there is the Catch-22. If the lease deal is not signed, sealed and delivered, or at least has clear sailing, will Jamison be able to finalize a purchase of the Coyotes. So, for example, if the lease is not passed as an Emergency ordinance, a petition could be mounted to send it to a referendum, putting the lease into indefinite limbo. Also, if the ordinance does not take effect as an emergency, the new council would have time to review and amend, or perhaps even overturn it.

I am still wondering how on earth they think that they can pass this as an emergency measure without five "aye" votes.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006

The seat exists but I think the rule read if a council member is not present to vote. There is no council member.

Man, this is going to get interesting quick.:handclap:
Yep.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I am still wondering how on earth they think that they can
pass this as an emergency measure without five "aye" votes.

1) If one of the 7 seats is vacated, maybe all it then takes is 4 of 6?
2) If one of the 7 seats is vacated, the 7th seat is automatically "aye"?

What else could it possibly be?

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera

Those are the 282 million dollar questions.

One would have to dig through CoG record history to see if there was ever a precident for a "vacant" seat during an emerg ordinance order I would think to see how they would proceed.Which is why I think there's going to be some interesting "interpretation" on Tuesday.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

This would be a hilarious irony. "Cactus" Phil Lieberman's empty chair casts the deciding vote to save the Coyotes in Glendale, and resulting in immediate staff cuts and service reductions in Glendale. The guy would be turning over in his cabana. :laugh:

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
This s*** is ********** awesome

If I were in country right now I would buy a CoG bond to gain standing, take Tuesday off, fly to Phoenix, and make a statement at the CoG meeting openly mocking them and pleading for them to pass the ordinance, if only to allow me to witness the unfolding financial calamity.

Not sure whether the bond would give me standing to comment at the CoG meeting, but it would be worth the lost investment.

Keep in mind we are a couple weeks removed from the release of their FY12 financial report. The internal audit is still outstanding as well.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Which is why I think there's going to be some interesting "interpretation" on Tuesday.

Absolutely. Here we again huh? Unbelievable really. Just when you think you couldnt possibly become anymore cynical in expecting the worst from these people, they hit the buttons to sub-rosa basements that you had no idea even existed.

The guy would be turning over in his cabana. :laugh:

... :laugh: yepp. Narcoleptic Phil. Even when he was "there" he wasnt really "there there". Date with Mr.Sandman every half hour on the hour. Half expected him to just nod off right in the middle of one of his apoplectic diatribes ZZZZzzzzzzZZZZZZzzzZZZ... what? huh?!.... on many an occasion.

ducks2010

I buy milk in bags
Apr 6, 2010
If I were in country right now I would buy a CoG bond to gain standing, take Tuesday off, fly to Phoenix, and make a statement at the CoG meeting openly mocking them and pleading for them to pass the ordinance, if only to allow me to witness the unfolding financial calamity.

Not sure whether the bond would give me standing to comment at the CoG meeting, but it would be worth the lost investment.

Keep in mind we are a couple weeks removed from the release of their FY12 financial report. The internal audit is still outstanding as well.

Go for it... I don't think you need any sort of standing to speak at the meetings. Remember all the out of town Coyote fans that would stream to the podium to express the important fact that they love hockey? I think George Fallar has spoke before too and he is from Cave Creek which apparently isn't Glendale.

If not you... we need someone to volunteer to go and speak on behalf of HFboards and express our sincere appreciation for the shoot show we get to watch on an almost daily basis... I've never been so glued to a soap opera since "who shot J.R." back in 1980. Remember.. if you go to be sure to personally thank Joyce for me... I will be watching you as they stream the meeting live on Glendale 11.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera

Keep in mind we are a couple weeks removed from the release of their FY12 financial report. The internal audit is still outstanding as well.QUOTE][/

Right, as if things weren't interesting enough, the audit and financial report-assuming they get released to public, just adds icing to this cake....:naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad