Phoenix CXXVII: Neither a Barroway Nor a Lender Be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
I never got a sense of the relationship between Barroway and his partners.

He was the Sugar Daddy to cover the IceArizona group's loans and cash calls...since we now know the Sugar Daddy no longer wants to support them...he has kicked them out...presumably found another Sugar Daddy to loan him some more money...in the hopes another Sugar Daddy will buy him out...

NHL...Neverending Heavily Leveraged...

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
So at the end of day, Barroway really couldn't find an investor (s) to buy out IA and effectively do it on his own.

With that in mind, thr AMF long gone and an arena plan or two have failed already mainly because the team could not contribute enough money to get enough public officials to bite.

How on earth can Mr. Barrow make any sizable contribution to a new shared arena with the Suns without major public dollars that is not even available. Has the Sheraton been sold yet?

I would think that has to happen before a conversation strts...never mind Sarver's role

The question is truly this:

what has exactly changed in Phoenix since 2003, when the Coyotes left TSRA for Glendale, never mind Westgate, et all, and GRA?

WE all know the Coyotes and Sarver/Suns cannot or will not co-exist in a shared facility....

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
So at the end of day, Barroway really couldn't find an investor (s) to buy out IA and effectively do it on his own.

With that in mind, thr AMF long gone and an arena plan or two have failed already mainly because the team could not contribute enough money to get enough public officials to bite.

How on earth can Mr. Barrow make any sizable contribution to a new shared arena with the Suns without major public dollars that is not even available. Has the Sheraton been sold yet?

I would think that has to happen before a conversation strts...never mind Sarver's role

Nope...the Sheraton is still stalled in closing at $300MM...maybe...

However...the Hyatt Regency Phoenix, one of downtown’s biggest hotels, sold for $107 million (bought in 2008 for $96MM) last week...

Source: http://www.azcentral.com/story/mone...enix-hyatt-hotel-sells-107-million/385706001/

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario
There is no way the Suns are going to let the coyotes back in there building because the reason the arena was built in Glendale was because the Suns wanted them out there arena & I seriously doubt they will let them back in .

So the Question is why won't the NHL. let the coyotes die & relocate to a stronger market that will appreciate them ?.

When you think about it the coyotes are not the only ones in dire straits the panthers & hurricanes are there as well heck maybe even the Vegas Golden Knights in a few years once the Raiders get there will join the coyotes , hurricanes & panthers on the chopping block for relocation .

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
So what now for Leblanc and company now that they got a big check from Barroway's bankers?

I personally hope Mr. Leblanc takes my suggestion and buys a new Hockey team with a budget and size related to his means... like his hometown team the Baie-Comeau Drakkar in the "Q".

Truly, talk about being at the right place at the right time. He got to act like a billionaire sports team owner for a couple of years. (without actually having any big amounts of money in play, or taking risks)

Good for him!

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
The question is truly this:

what has exactly changed in Phoenix since 2003, when the Coyotes left TSRA for Glendale, never mind Westgate, et all, and GRA?

WE all know the Coyotes and Sarver/Suns cannot or will not co-exist in a shared facility....

How do you know?

Sarver's definitely the 600-lb gorilla in this but with rumors that both the NBA and NHL commissioners are weighing in (which pretty much means the leagues themselves) who knows?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
How do you know?

Sarver's definitely the 600-lb gorilla in this but with rumors that both the NBA and NHL commissioners are weighing in (which pretty much means the leagues themselves) who knows?

what the Suns are leaving Arizona, TL, THEY MIGHT AS WELL TAKE THEIR AFFILIATE WITH THEM, IN Prescott Valley, too:laugh:

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
So what now for Leblanc and company now that they got a big check from Barroway's bankers?

I personally hope Mr. Leblanc takes my suggestion and buys a new Hockey team with a budget and size related to his means... like his hometown team the Baie-Comeau Drakkar in the "Q".

Truly, talk about being at the right place at the right time. He got to act like a billionaire sports team owner for a couple of years. (without actually having any big amounts of money in play, or taking risks)

Good for him!

Essentially...using House Money until that money ran out... ;)

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
There is no way the Suns are going to let the coyotes back in there building because the reason the arena was built in Glendale was because the Suns wanted them out there arena & I seriously doubt they will let them back in .

So the Question is why won't the NHL. let the coyotes die & relocate to a stronger market that will appreciate them ?.

When you think about it the coyotes are not the only ones in dire straits the panthers & hurricanes are there as well heck maybe even the Vegas Golden Knights in a few years once the Raiders get there will join the coyotes , hurricanes & panthers on the chopping block for relocation .

Well none of them will end up in Hamilton in that's what you're angling for. :laugh:

btw... The Coyotes were not 'kicked out' of downtown by the Suns. Wasn't Jerry Colangelo's way.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ

Remember when Morgan wrote this just a year ago...

Suns reluctant to become roommates with Coyotes in new arena

To quote:

"So, knowing full well that [Phoenix Mayor] Stanton wants to build him an arena downtown, why would Sarver say that same night that the Suns intend to fulfill the remaining five years on their lease? Why isn’t he running to City Hall to sign on the dotted line and get this process rolling?

The answer is simple. Sarver doesn’t want to partner with the Coyotes — not on equal footing. He doesn’t want to split the revenue from a new arena, and he is banking on the belief that he can manipulate this situation in his favor."

Source: https://arizonasports.com/story/637440/robert-sarver-suns-arena-plans-do-not-include-coyotes/

Now...this was occurring with Barroway as majority owner...but LeBlanc was doing all of the talking...will it really change between Sarver and Barroway now that he is the front-man?

Doubtful...

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Here's my question, and it might be a stupid one - who owns the Roadrunners now?

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
How do you know?

I agree that both commissionaires together can throw some hefty weight Sarver's way, but how exactly can they ask an existing owner to change his business arrangement in such a way as it could and most likely will cost him revenues if was to be in a new building himself? What incentive could they both give Sarver to do this?

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012
How do you know?

If this is a short sale, any new owner will want some pretty strong assurances that a new, shared arena will come to fruition. And there are a lot of moving parts to this, including from the city and/or state. Silver being involved makes it a little more intriguing, but we don't know how involved he is, how much arm twisting of Sarver he will do.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Is it possible Sarver is interested in the coyotes?

I guess anything's possible in this saga, but is it likely?

I'm sure he has considered it.

EDIT: That's the only way a Suns-Coyotes Partnership can work (IMO). Same owner. Barroway doesn't seem to have the proper finances (and loans) to take on the Suns.

Last edited:

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012
Is it possible Sarver is interested in the coyotes?

I guess anything's possible in this saga, but is it likely?

I'm sure he has considered it.

Does he have the money for the Coyotes and his share of a new arena? Maybe his share of a new arena goes down if he delivers both the Coyotes and Suns, though. I'm also not sure he is wealthy enough for two major sport teams, as well (and he owns RCD Mallorca, but they are in the third division in Spain now).

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Never change Daryl...
[spoil]Must be using his buyout cash to fund his vacation - sarcasm[/spoil]

... :laugh: what a piece of work that one is. he's missed the Cannes Film Festival, back in May... but.... I guess he could always go to St. Tropez... Marseille... hangout with some real World Class Gangsters.... Summer School.... make some contacts.... Daryls next big adventure.
How do you know they can absolutely never coexist in a single arena??
Well, if you can explain how the Coyotes can survive sharing revenue streams with an NBA franchise owned by a guy who's not about to be charitable given that he's not a multi-billionaire owner and very little benevolence, magnanimity ever displayed then you tell me TL? The Coyotes need to be able to capture fully every possible revenue stream from the building in which they play out of, they have to have full control, two steady hands on the levers. This is the business model. Way it works. Sarver in the same boat.
Here's my question, and it might be a stupid one - who owns the Roadrunners now?
Well if your being stupid then so am I because ya, I asked about that earlier. Are the Roadrunners included or do the Boys from IA simply move on down to Tucson FT, affiliate agreement with Barroway & the Coyotes or what? Im going to "assume" TFP that the Roadrunners are included in the transaction as reading between the lines & whats been rumoured, whats now transpired, that Barroway wanted schuck of these Quahogs entirely so maybe, hopefully... gone Baby gone fully & completely. Hopefully we get more details as the day wanes, later this week on that while clarifying what shakes down in the front office with Chayka, Tippett et al.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
As do I. In fact I think he'd be happy to see them gone entirely. Crowded market vying for the same corporate & consumer dollar. With the Coyotes gone, one less option, his rates go up.

Yeah, there's that, and then the logistical challenges of having to turn the arena around on short notice from night to night with two sports on basically the same annual schedule are probably pretty significant. I doubt he wants to worry himself with that.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I think it's stupendously unlikely.

That's where I fall too, but I'm just trying to make the rhetoric from the NHL make sense. The coyotes splitting time with the Suns with separate ownership makes even less sense than Sarver buying the yotes.

So yeah, the NHL is probably just putting out a B.S. line. I'm not surprised, just making sure to cover all the bases.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
... :laugh: what a piece of work that one is. he's missed the Cannes Film Festival, back in May... but.... I guess he could always go to St. Tropez... Marseille... hangout with some real World Class Gangsters.... Summer School.... make some contacts.... Daryls next big adventure.

Well, if you can explain how the Coyotes can survive sharing revenue streams with an NBA franchise owned by a guy who's not about to be charitable given that he's not a multi-billionaire owner and very little benevolence, magnanimity ever displayed then you tell me TL? The Coyotes need to be able to capture fully every possible revenue stream from the building in which they play out of, they have to have full control, two steady hands on the levers. This is the business model. Way it works. Sarver in the same boat.

Well if your being stupid then so am I because ya, I asked about that earlier. Are the Roadrunners included or do the Boys from IA simply move on down to Tucson FT, affiliate agreement with Barroway & the Coyotes or what? Im going to "assume" TFP that the Roadrunners are included in the transaction as reading between the lines & whats been rumoured, whats now transpired, that Barroway wanted schuck of these Quahogs entirely so maybe, hopefully... gone Baby gone fully & completely. Hopefully we get more details as the day wanes, later this week on that while clarifying what shakes down in the front office with Chayka, Tippett et al.

That's where I fall too, but I'm just trying to make the rhetoric from the NHL make sense. The coyotes splitting time with the Suns with separate ownership makes even less sense than Sarver buying the yotes.

So yeah, the NHL is probably just putting out a B.S. line. I'm not surprised, just making sure to cover all the bases.

This should help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad