Phoenix CXXII: Drawing a LeBlank

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Yeah, something smells like a subsidy, but if it is, where is it coming from?

Easy peasy - from the owner of the arena.

From what I've read, one of the selling points for the potential host city is that they get to own the arena "free and clear" for the low, low price of $55M, with the Coyotes and the state pitching in the rest.

Of course, owning the arena, you need an arena manager! Right? And who is the perfect entity to do that? Why, IceArizona, of course! All it will cost you is $24.4 million a year in upkeep and we'll fill that shack with events, games, RV sales, you name it!

Never mind that that ask is one of the highest maintenance costs in the league for a building that, by rights, should be extremely efficient and more affordable to keep up than an aging arena... :sarcasm:

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Woops, I forgot how much hotter it is in the East Valley and how new buildings are so much less efficient than 15-year-old ones! :laugh:

I also forgot that they're going to have to import glacier ice from the Northwest Territories to keep the rink in shape, as well as pay import taxes on all of the poutine they're going to bring in from Quebec... :D

It's never as simple as it seems.

Hey! New thread title?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad