Phoenix CVI: It's good to talk these things out

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
So it could be a one year deal?

Yes. It's likely the NHL offered a two year deal with an out after one year, knowing full well the city wants to use it. 90 days written notice is plenty of time to pull the plug after next season ends.

RandR

May 15, 2011
For good or bad, this settlement kicks the can down the road another 2 years. Given the alternative, this is good news for COG, IA, NHL, Coyotes fans.

I wouldn't conclude anything beyond that other than:
So at least 2 more years of this?

We might be onto thread 300 by then.

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012
Yes. It's likely the NHL offered a two year deal with an out after one year, knowing full well the city wants to use it. 90 days written notice is plenty of time to pull the plug after next season ends.

So the only certainly is no certainty.

Edit to add...

Good title for CVII

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
The other key provision is that Glendale can replace the Arena Manager anytime after June 30, 2016 upon 90 days written notice.

Here's the quick breakdown:

- 2 Year Lease thru 6/30/17
- $6.5MM AMF per year
- Arena Manager keeps all revenue (no more city surcharges, parking, etc)
- However, Glendale can replace IA with new Arena Manager after 6/30/16
- Tindall gets fired

Council will no doubt approve this tomorrow.

So it could be a one year deal?

Smells like a transition plan to me

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
Did i get this right

So basically this mean they will play at Gila river for the 2015-2016 season 100% guarantee

And for 2016-2017 we wont know until April 1st (90 days before june 30th?)

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Makes me wonder if there's going to be a separate lease for the Coyotes.

A one year "prove it" contract where they have to do better with non hockey events. If not, they get replaced. Team obviously can't stay if that happens, but they'll be on the hook for one season of that craziness if it does happen. I don't see why the league agreed to this, unless they plan to sandbag non hockey events to force the out and use the 2 year deal as cover to minimize losses for this upcoming season.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
So Glendale went from paying 15M and getting 6 back so really paying 9 to now paying 6.5 and getting nothing back

All of this drama over 2.5 M :help:

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013
I see the deal as essentially a stall for Seattle to get everything together. So I agree with your premise, essentially.

That's how I see it. TWO lame duck seasons?! Yikes. :amazed:

#Heretostay... until 2017 :naughty:

So Glendale went from paying 15M and getting 6 back so really paying 9 to now paying 6.5 and getting nothing back

All of this drama over 2.5 M :help:

And why would AMF opponents agree to paying out $6.5M with no return and with it clear the team is going to bail? Kindness?

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012
Makes me wonder if there's going to be a separate lease for the Coyotes.

Sounds like to me it's a one year lease disguised as a two year lease. The appearance of a two year lease keeps the relocation hounds silent until next April, by which point the season would be close to over.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
LeBlanc isn't very good at being truthful. But then again he just got the crap kicked out of him by Glendale.

I dunno.... Glendale saved what..... iif remains the same at current rate $1.5M per year over the next two years? If IA manages to kick butt the next two years (I know... I'm stretching it ;) ), then Glendale gave up even more. Global is now free to compete for non-hockey events that don't have a ticket surcharge stuck to them, which is what they wanted way back in the beginning.

I wouldn't exactly call it a butt whoopin', but since we won't get to see the dirty deposition details we can always cling to our own beliefs. :)

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Westhead have his wires crossed or is there more than one menu choice for CoG tomorrow?

Perhaps a 'yes' vote to a new deal is the same as 'no' to rescinding the cancel arean deal vote last month?

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
What's the incentive for the team and league to agree to a scenario where they might not be the arena manager for a year?

At quick glance of First Amendment to Arena Mgmt and Lease, it looks like they had to give the city a "free" season in 16-17 to avoid being evicted immediately. The parties may revisit that later and determine that a payout instead of specific performance is appropriate but for now, it's two years

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Did i get this right

So basically this mean they will play at Gila river for the 2015-2016 season 100% guarantee

And for 2016-2017 we wont know until April 1st (90 days before june 30th?)

Hard to interpret it as anything else.

15-16: IA gets $6.5MM AMF and all revenues
16-17: City replaces IA with new manager, gets "free" season of hockey
17-18: Coyotes go somewhere that isn't Glendale

You guys forgot to mention that we're going to see the return of weeknight games that net about 4,000 fans. That's the new throwback feature for this season. :cry:

objectiveposter

Jan 29, 2011
so Glendale goes from losing 9 million a year with potential growth in revenues to reduce that amount to a locked in 6.5 million loss. IA also bumps up their out clause by a year. I don't see this as a huge win for the city...maybe a small win. All signs still point to to IA pocketing the expansion money and flipping this team to seattle in a few years once the arena is approved.

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
If Bettman wants to move this team next year he will, if he doesn't need to until 2 years then he can do that too. All signs point towards a relocation....

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
It would appear that Glendale handed the Coyotes their ass on a silver platter. I guess that's what happens when you have no leverage. But, wait.... TeamTony was never going to renegotiate a new deal.

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013
Side question to our Glendale resident posters: What is Glendale's logo supposed to represent (the one that looks like three damaged floppy disks)?

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
What's the incentive for the team and league to agree to a scenario where they might not be the arena manager for a year?

I'll get back to you on that. Still pouring thru the First Amendment AMULA for additional triggers and I might have to correct myself later but... essentially if Glendale chose to do so they could already place another AM at GRA that would receive the $6.5M (or another negotiated term but me thinks if its SMG it'll stay at that $6.5M) and the Coyotes essentially still draw the revenues outlined in this new revised Agreement.

Also, I was in the middle of responding to this TFP...

"This revised agreement represents a positive outcome for both the city and the Coyotes," said Glendale Acting City Manager, Dick Bowers. "It also allows us to move forward in a way that keeps an important economic driver in our community. That’s important for business and it’s important to our citizens."

“We have come up with a resolution that works for both sides and is best for the team, our fans, the city and most importantly the taxpayers,†said Coyotes Co-Owner, President and CEO Anthony LeBlanc. “Neither side benefits from a long, drawn out legal battle. What’s important is putting this dispute behind us and focusing on growing the Coyotes business and in turn, further growing revenues for the entire Westgate Entertainment District. This decision will bring much-needed certainty to our fans and sponsors about our near-term future and an end to the uncertainty brought about through this legal action. We know that hockey works in the Valley and we are committed to Arizona for the long-term. We thank Coyotes fans and sponsors for their incredible support throughout this process. They have proven that they are among the most loyal and ardent in the NHL.â€

Gee, thanks, Anthony... nothing like knowing your team is sticking around long enough to REALLY get the relocation rumor mill churning. :shakehead

Key words. You picked up on it. Hoping others do as well.

I'm still not there yet that after the 2017 expiration that the moving trucks cross State (or International) lines. I'll have my eyes trained on the developments SE of Glendale over the next 18 months for clues (or finalization) on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad