OT: Phoenix Coyotes Ownership Saga

Ron*

The expansion teams would presumably be in the East. Hamilton/Markham and Quebec City would be the most obvious. Followed by Hartford.

What expansion options do you really have the West? Seattle? Kansas City?

The expansion teams most likely would be Quebec and Markham (Toronto, really).

Ron*

Oh, they actually applauded him earlier in the evening, during introductions. :laugh:

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
The expansion teams most likely would be Quebec and Markham (Toronto, really).

A second Toronto team would be about as successful as the Islanders in New York. Maple Leafs will always be #1 here.

Anywho, hopefully the expansion will be Seattle and Quebec City, meaning that Phoenix will continue to be a served NHL market. If the worst happens with the Coyotes I'd like to see Houston receive a franchise. I really think they're a market that could be a success.

Ron*

The idiot lawyer whose job it was to introduce Bettman took a lot longer than Bettman did.

To summarize for those who didn't get to hear it, Bettman talked about 4 minutes. At most. He basically thanked the City Council for their consideration and would respect any decision they will make. He did make a token statement that it is his wish that the team would stay.

Well, Bettman was pretty succinct in his comments, and the clarity, context, and conciseness in which they were delivered made it clear that the NHL will not delay in moving the team if the vote fails.

Ron*

Councilman Martinez with the joke of the night:

"The Coyotes have been the whipping boy of the city for years. There is a law against cruelty to animals."

Ron*

Informal polling now going on with the council members. Looks like its going to pass 4-3.

That is the ongoing speculation.

It appears it might come down to one councilman, who is leaning to a yes vote.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Some really delusional thoughts shared at this meeting. Hopefully some fans start showing up to the Phoenix games but it won't happen. Too bad for Seattle and the NHL.

Ron*

Some really delusional thoughts shared at this meeting. Hopefully some fans start showing up to the Phoenix games but it won't happen. Too bad for Seattle and the NHL.

Agreed. These council members are incompetent. I can't believe these people are actually running a half-billion city budget. Insane.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Just move the coyotes ASAP - Seattle, Que, Salt Lake, Houston, KC... I'm tired of watching Kings games on tv and there being maybe 8000 fans at the game.

ANY decent large city will support the Coyotes better than Phoenix has done over the 15 years.

The Kings, and the NHL, deserve better.

Ron*

Just move the coyotes ASAP - Seattle, Que, Salt Lake, Houston, KC... I'm tired of watching Kings games on tv and there being maybe 8000 fans at the game.

ANY decent large city will support the Coyotes better than Phoenix has done over the 15 years.

The Kings, and the NHL, deserve better.

Sorry, this lease deal is going to pass tonight. Just watching the interactions between the council members, it may pass 5-2, or 4-3. I would be surprised at this point if it fails.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The lease passing does not mean this is over. Any lease passing with a city opt out clause is going to be another major problem.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Bettman should just cut him off and pull the plug on this thing. This city council meeting is ridiculous. Exactly what have they accomplished with this?

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Yeah, this guy is grandstanding. He is a yes, no doubt. I'd be shocked if he went through all this to vote no.

Ron*

This fat blowhard that is speaking now said the team is the best GM, best coach, best captain, and a Vezina winning goalie, and even the Coyote fans in the audience had to roll their eyes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad