OT: Phoenix Coyotes Ownership Saga

Ron*

First of all, I would say I want the team to stay in Phoenix, for jealous reasons...I want the short hop for the Kings three times a year (unless that is changing, can't remember the new structure).

That being said, it appears that the Coyotes days are indeed numbered in Phoenix. The mayor there is hedging bets that the NHL won't "call their bluff"; however, Daly says there is no bluff, that July 2 is that absolute deadline before the NHL seeks to relocate the Coyotes.

I really think this is the end of the line in Phoenix. All the draws have been drawn. If the Glendale city council doesn't get 4 votes out of 7 to approve that ridiculous deal that was offered last week (more on that below), then the team is gone.

Now what happens if they do get the 4 votes? Well, the deal still won't be done. The deal itself is a non-starter, as there is disagreement over a 5-year "out" clause. The whole thing would be messier than usual, which is saying something for all that has gone on down there.

If the team must relocate, it would be so cool that if they went to Seattle they can call themselves the Metropolitans again. I think that name is pretty unique, given the fact is was branded almost 100 years ago in a different time and mindset.

Jun 30, 2006
I just want them to move to Seattle and get this whole fiasco over with.

The COG created this mess and the NHL has bent over backwards to accomodate them...and still nothing. It's simply time to move on to a stable owner and a city willing to support the team.

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
I would love to see them named the Metropolitans if they did move to Seattle. Being a huge fan of hockey history I always love to see the old names back. Totems would be cool too.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
In the long run, I don't think Seattle is the answer, and I think they will probably experience similar problems to Phoenix. That this should happen shows just how ridiculous the Glendale situation has become.

agentfouser

Playoffs?!?!
Nov 30, 2003
Los Angeles
Ahh ****, what a dumbass name Metropolitans is...
Wha? I like it, it's a classic name. I hate the way that sports teams are so often named after ferocious-sounding animals now. So many of the classic franchises in all sports have classic names: the "Socks" teams in baseball, the Boston Celtics, the Red Wings, Dodgers, those are great names. They don't sound like they're trying too hard.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
I know the Seattle Metropolitans existed before the New York Mets team, but the name is just too long so people will just be forced to shorten the name to "Mets." There's already 4 NHL teams that have the same names as other pro sports teams (Kings, Rangers, Panthers, Jets). Not to mention two teams that share the same nicknames with two big athletic schools (UCLA Bruins and Miami Hurricanes). So forget the "Mets." Why not recycle the old Seattle Pilots? Kinda like what Colorado did with the Rockies, only the sports were flip-flopped.

KingKopitar11*

Atleast we can beat the same organization in different cities now.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
In the long run, I don't think Seattle is the answer, and I think they will probably experience similar problems to Phoenix. That this should happen shows just how ridiculous the Glendale situation has become.

I feel as though you know nothing at all about the situation in Seattle.

Seattle will be a very very solid market, and with basketball completely screwing up not heading back there the NHL should seize the chance and corner the market. Seattle has a loooooong hockey history, proven support at lower levels, there is a huge void in winter sports, and Seattle has proven to be a really great sports town with owners that treat them right (Sounders, Seahawks). This will be a great move for the NHL.

Vic Vinegar

Oct 27, 2009
They will not he called the Metropolitans. I don't care how much "history" that name has, it is simply not marketable.

Send them to Quebec where people actually care about the game.

Seattle is in the same time zone as Phoenix, so it doesn't disrupt the realignment.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
If they want a name with history, Totems would be a good choice with the old green and white color scheme.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad