Phoenix CIII: Sue Me, Sue You Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
things are different in Us in regards to defamation. to defame someone in the states you have to say some thing that damages them significantly that is false, and that you know it to be false at the time. rather hard to prove.

At the level you state it, defamation law is the same in Canada.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
There was some article indicating cog is supposed to file a response to ia's pleadings today. No hearing though and who knows if we'll see a copy of what they might file. The other docs were released by the Coyotes themselves.

I think Freedom of Information Act would require them to share if asked. I would imagine they will make their way out at some point.

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON
You do realize that has already been addressed?

That would have required me to use my powers of precognition to know what was on page 2 while I was reading page 1. Unfortunate I was using them to find out how the Ticats were going to do this upcoming season, while I was reading your post...

:razz:

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Key dates in Glendale-Coyotes arena deal dispute

To quote:

"Aug. 28, 2001: Glendale hires Craig Tindall as a deputy city attorney.

July 2002: Glendale hires Julie Frisoni as communications manager.

July 2, 2013: Glendale City Council approves an arena management and lease agreement with the Arizona Coyotes for Gila River Arena on a 4-3 vote.

August 2, 2013: Julie Frisoni is assigned as an interim assistant city manager.

Aug. 20, 2013: Craig Tindall accepts a job with the Arizona Coyotes as general counsel."

Source: http://www.azcentral.com/story/news...glendale-coyotes-arena-deal-dispute/28886951/

Thegreatwar

Oct 31, 2014
New Hampshire
As someone who isn't as familiar with the specifics of this saga, can someone explain what the "cupcake summit" was, and what the deal was with COG paying for their own parking rights?

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
As someone who isn't as familiar with the specifics of this saga, can someone explain what the "cupcake summit" was, and what the deal was with COG paying for their own parking rights?

"Cupcake Summit " was a meeting held between Hulsizer ( potential owner ) , the GoldWater Institute, and the CoG council to discuss concerns that the GWI has with a potential deal. The meeting was about 1000 years ago in Coyote years.

http://archive.azcentral.com/ic/pdf/0421goldwater-meeting-minutes.pdf

And just because
we've had, you know, different interactions between all
of us, we thought it would be fun to sort of start
fresh and call this the Cupcake Summit, and we'll offer
you the first cupcake, and we have some plates and
napkins and just pass it around to get us started.

Parking rights...

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articl...r-Coyotes-paves-way-for-sale-to-Hulsizer.html

The lease has the city giving Hulsizer $100 million for parking rights and another $97 million over a six-year period as a fee for operating the arena. The Goldwater Institute questioned the agreement as overgenerous and the fees far beyond fair market value.

Tons of details can be found , but basically IIRC there were two issues.

1- the GWI thought $100MM was too much to pay for the parking and
2 - the CoG was going to give $100MM to Hulsizer to buy parking rights that the CoG already owned.

Last edited:

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto

The Cupcake Summit is a little easier to explain than the Great Parking Lot Saga.

At one point the Goldwater Institute had been examining the legality of the City of Glendale's intended deal with a prospective purchaser (Reinsdorf?). My memory fails me with respect to the details, but there was at one time some kind of meeting hosted by Goldwater that came to be known as the "Cupcake Summit". Someone else will surely have all the right details.

The parking lot is not as straightforward. Believe it or not, at one time one of the prospective purchasers suggested that Glendale would lease back parking lots in the vicinity of the arena at a cost of $100-million that would, of course, be paid to the entity operating the arena on behalf of the hockey club. Again, the details escape me but there are many, many threads on this and someone else will remember.

Since then, my kids have earned several university degrees and given us a few grandchildren. Some of my friends have retired, others have died, governments have come and gone, entire wars have been fought and life goes on. The late comedian Red Skelton once joked that "nothing goes on forever . . . except the Paris peace talks!" He never lived to see the Phoenix/Arizona Coyotes purchase and sale -- THAT goes on forever!

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I agree with Fugu's thesis that IA won't renegotiate because it has no money with which to negotiate anything.

I am so disappointed that the Borrow-way "purchase" was a sham. Following this from a distance, I thought it was very refreshing that someone finally was putting his own money into it without leaning on the City of Glendale to foot the bill. So it turns out I was just foolishly naive.

I also agree with the notion that a true sale from the NHL to Ice Arizona was never actually completed in that not enough money seems to have changed hands. The NHL has set Ice Arizona up in "ownership" as a mere caretaker until the chickens come home to roost, which they eventually will whether now or later. If the Ice Clowns blow their cover the NHL will have no option but to pull the plug and relocate ASAP, unless they want to do the honourable and ethical thing by paying their own bills for a while without trying to figure out another way to send the bill to the taxpayers of the good City of Glendale.

It looks like the Clowns were nothing but a front to try to squeeze as much money out of Glendale as possible, all the while buying time for the NHL to plan an eventual relocation in the overwhelmingly likely event that the Coyotes would not financially succeed in Arizona.

Stupidly, at one time I bought in to the suggestion that the Coyotes were in Glendale to stay, and I would have liked that result, but now the whole thing seems slimier than ever.

It's actually hard to imagine the NHL surpassing its previously epic efforts to screw Glendale, but they just never give up trying. Now, as Killion says, they seem to be preparing to leave while blaming the victim.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
The cupcake summit and the parking bonds were both related to Hulzinger, as was the Fax of Dreams.

I remember watching the televised council meeting with Hulsizer in attendance. It was creepy to watch former Mayor Scruggs fawn over him excessively.

That was before she caught on to what was really happening.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I also agree with the notion that a true sale from the NHL to Ice Arizona was never actually completed in that not enough money seems to have changed hands. The NHL has set Ice Arizona up in "ownership" as a mere caretaker until the chickens come home to roost, which they eventually will whether now or later. If the Ice Clowns blow their cover the NHL will have no option but to pull the plug and relocate ASAP, unless they want to do the honourable and ethical thing by paying their own bills for a while without trying to figure out another way to send the bill to the taxpayers of the good City of Glendale.

Now, as Killion says, they seem to be preparing to leave while blaming the victim.

.... couldnt have said it better myself Councillor. And yet.... Ive been accused of being a vainglorious peddler of frothing Conspiracy Theories. Me. Of all people?..... little history here; Compass East, incorporated in Delaware (weve been there before in this saga, several times in fact) a Dummy Corporation formed by Walt Disney; Air America, Japan Asia Airlines, Aeroflot, Narconon... on & on & on. T'ohonos Indian Band as well. Hiding behind Dummy Corporations & numbered companies secretly buying up large tracts of land in & around Glendale. IceArizona, Dummy Corporation, a shell, Straw Owners. I too wish it wasnt so but the evidence is overwhelming. Their actions (lack thereof, clearly amateurs with false intent, Disinformation Officers, Bad Actors) & reactions, the actions & reactions (Bettman in particular has given much away, accidentally shown his hand) of the league... the dots all connect. This is all surreal for those of who have followed it closely because?.... Its not real. Not a real sale. Not real owners. All a front. Theater. Black operation. The NHL operating underground.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
At least, Antonio G. Tavares got his money for the 'audit'...

FINAL INVOICE FOR SERVICES - 05/21/15 - $40,000.00

And where pray tell are these documents? Sure hope they got their monies worth. Not another scam job, like that Beacon report...
Assessment of Glendale Arena & Marketing.... duuuuuh..... book more concerts & events?..... $40,000 pls.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
And where pray tell are these documents? Sure hope they got their monies worth. Not another scam job, like that Beacon report... Assessment of Glendale Arena & Marketing.... duuuuuh..... book more concerts & events..... $40,000 pls.

I think these 'audit' documents are still under wraps until the TRO case starts... ;)

BTW, did you notice these recent payments on the Coyote Bankruptcy to Fennemore Craig?

COYOTES HOCKEY LLC BANKRUPTCY - 01/05/15 - $2,068.20
COYOTES HOCKEY LLC BANKRUPTCY - 03/11/15 - $567.90
COYOTES HOCKEY LLC BANKRUPTCY - 04/07/15 - $11,363.40
COYOTES HOCKEY LLC BANKRUPTCY - 05/07/15 - $1,138.00

(Home > All Departments > City Attorney > Outside Legal Fees > Professional and Contractual > COYOTES HOCKEY LLC BANKRUPTCY [Page 3])

Source: http://www.glendaleaz.com/FollowYourMoney/Dept.cfm?Type=5&DeptID=151&DivID=10615&Account=518200

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I think these 'audit' documents are still under wraps until the TRO case starts... ;)

BTW, did you notice these recent payments on the Coyote Bankruptcy to Fennemore Craig?

COYOTES HOCKEY LLC BANKRUPTCY - 01/05/15 - $2,068.20
COYOTES HOCKEY LLC BANKRUPTCY - 03/11/15 - $567.90
COYOTES HOCKEY LLC BANKRUPTCY - 04/07/15 - $11,363.40
COYOTES HOCKEY LLC BANKRUPTCY - 05/07/15 - $1,138.00

(Home > All Departments > City Attorney > Outside Legal Fees > Professional and Contractual > COYOTES HOCKEY LLC BANKRUPTCY [Page 3])

Source: http://www.glendaleaz.com/FollowYourMoney/Dept.cfm?Type=5&DeptID=151&DivID=10615&Account=518200

Interesting find, Llama. They're just paying on that now?

I supposed they'll probably use that to claim the Coyotes deal in 2013 prevented them from paying off their legal bill from 2010 or so. Despite all the sweet severance packages they forked out to Beasley..... and the two who worked under him (can't think of their names off hand).... Fischer..... ;)

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
So let me get this straight re: Tindall...

He was the city attorney at the time that Glendale contracted with Fennemore Craig to represent the city in the Coyotes bankruptcy... then he parlays that into a position at Fennemore Craig... then he goes to work for the Coyotes. :laugh:

Anyway, there may still be ongoing stuff related to the bankruptcy that Glendale has to deal with so those legal fees may not be that old. A quick google search pulls up info about ongoing routine reports being filed on that bankruptcy as recently as March 2015 so Glendale might need someone to review those.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So let me get this straight re: Tindall...

He was the city attorney at the time that Glendale contracted with Fennemore Craig to represent the city in the Coyotes bankruptcy... then he parlays that into a position at Fennemore Craig... then he goes to work for the Coyotes. :laugh:

Anyway, there may still be ongoing stuff related to the bankruptcy that Glendale has to deal with so those legal fees may not be that old. A quick google search pulls up info about ongoing routine reports being filed on that bankruptcy as recently as March 2015 so Glendale might need someone to review those.

Private school tuition is expensive!

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
All Glendale and Coyotes drama aside, the thread title is easily one of George Harrison's most underrated songs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad