Phoenix C: The F A.R.S Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.

pegjets

Oh Canada
Apr 4, 2013
This is an unsustainable situation - there needs to be closure on this now. This annual saga makes the league look like a joke.

william_adams

Aug 3, 2005
Kyushu
I liken this to the difference between a symbiotic vs parasitic relationship. I think it simply was far, far too generous to the team, and utterly and completely to the detriment of the city. Furthermore, it seems that once they got the contract signed, their arrogance got the best of them, not really acting like they were taking Glendale's concerns seriously.

well put. but the other side of that line of thinking is that just maybe this was the minimum required for anyone to want to own the team here (arrogance aside).

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
This is an unsustainable situation - there needs to be closure on this now. This annual saga makes the league look like a joke.
Last year was the first time in close to a decade that no Coyotes talk was happening during the playoff. If am a NHL owner, and I thought Gary finally managed to kick this can five years down the road, I be mad right now.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
well put. but the other side of that line of thinking is that just maybe this was the minimum required for anyone to want to own the team here (arrogance aside).

I don't doubt that the Coyotes cannot survive without the COG money (in the sense that no owner was going to sign up for $30-40 MM of annual losses).

At the same time, Glendale is hemorrhaging as well.

The sad part is that it's just a bad situation for both sides.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
I know we've said it many times before, but this truly looks to be the end for the Yotes. My god what a cluster****.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Why have the Panthers always been able to find people to take the team on but Arizona needs all this help? So many problems in Glendale.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=770561

Coyotes press release on planned legal action:
The City Council of Glendale on Wednesday night voted, 5-2, to cancel its arena lease agreement with the Coyotes – a 15-year deal established in July of 2013.

After the vote, attorney Nicholas Wood said the team would file for injunctive relief and a temporary restraining order, and file a $200 million lawsuit against the City.

"What we have witnessed here tonight is possibly the most shameful exhibition of government I have ever witnessed," Coyotes Co-Owner, President and CEO Anthony LeBlanc said. "The citizens of Glendale should be very concerned about the government that they have leading them right now, because this was not appropriate… We have been absolutely wronged this evening by a group that is acting in incredibly bad faith."

He added: "Our view is the team will remain here, but the City is not acting in a business-friendly way and should be ashamed."

While the City Council meeting was taking place, NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman told Hockey Night in Canada viewers: "I'm not concerned about the Coyotes. If I lived in Glendale, I'd be concerned about my government."

LeBlanc said he was pleased by the number of Coyotes fans who attended the meeting and especially pleased by those who took the time to vocally support the team during the portion of the meeting designated for public comments.

"One thing that was illustrated tonight is that we have fantastic fans,” LeBlanc said. “God love them for coming back to this council chamber after all the times they’ve been in here over the years."

There it is is black and white what the team's next step will be.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Dont think they have a case, city looks to lose 300 mil or whatever over 10 years. What grounds would uphold a sports team arena lease

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=770457
From Wednesday morning: NHL statement on (then) potential move by COG

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...-coyotes-who-threaten-to-sue-for-200-million/
NBC/PHT on the "mess" that is the lease situation

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...dead-deal-glendale-city-council-nhl/71047648/

Jeff Teetsel, Westgate Entertainment District development manager, said Glendale is once again drawing negative attention.

"We think the city would be better served to celebrate and recognize the positive contribution that the Coyotes have made in the context of economic development," he said. "The impetus for having an arena and a stadium in Glendale has always been economic development."

More black eyes

Mr. Fancy Pants

Sep 20, 2002
Gifu
Visit site
http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=770561

Coyotes press release on planned legal action:

While the City Council meeting was taking place, NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman told Hockey Night in Canada viewers: "I'm not concerned about the Coyotes. If I lived in Glendale, I'd be concerned about my government."

....because they were stupid enough to give us tens of millions of dollars.

:dr. evil smily:

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Bettman and Leblanc are fools for trying to play politics.

Direct subsidies to pro sports teams are never going to be popular. They've just handed a win to Weiers and Co.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Rhonda Pearson? Of BeavisPAC? Another advocate of massive taxpayer subsidies for the yotes who happens to not be one of those taxpayers?

I never got a concrete answer the first time around... are there any members of BeavisPAC who actually pay taxes in Glendale?

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
I'd be concerned about my Govt going bankrupt not whether or not they uphold a shady deal with the NHL.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Rhonda Pearson? Of BeavisPAC? Another advocate of massive taxpayer subsidies for the yotes who happens to not be one of those taxpayers?

I never got a concrete answer the first time around... are there any members of BeavisPAC who actually pay taxes in Glendale?

You are aware that a large portion of Glendale's budget is funded from state tax revenues, right? Including 32% of Glendale's general fund? So although Pearson may not be paying taxes directly to COG, a percentage of her tax dollars are in the end still dedicated to subsidizing Glendale.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
It's off to court we go then.

Assuming this goes through, and there aren't any re-negotiations, wondering how long this will take to go through the courts in total?

I'm going to assume the Yotes would be there for at least one more season at any rate.

I didn't catch the footage, but those who watched it; the impressions I got from those describing it on here, sounds like Leblanc REALLY wasn't expecting this to happen, and was caught off guard by the events that took place. It sounds like his reaction wasn't a measured legal response, but a genuine surprise and shock that this was even taking place-would that be fair to say?

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Some legal questions here for anyone who may know the answer. If hypothetically the Coyotes win the $200 million lawsuit, does that mean the city would have to honour the contract as well or is the lawsuit merely compensation to the coyotes for Glendale breaking the contract and nothing else?

Also If the lawsuit is indeed in addition to the monetarily value of the contract, would Glendale have to pay it in one lump sum or would it be yearly payments (i.e pay 15 million yearly as per contract + 15 yearly towards paying off the lawsuit). Also can Glendale file for Bankruptcy protection if paying off the lawsuit would put them in that state and thus get out of paying it?

Last edited:

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
Some legal questions here for anyone who may know the answer. If hypothetically the Coyotes win the $200 million lawsuit, does that mean the city would have to honour its contract as well or is the lawsuit merely compensation to the coyotes for Glendale breaking the contract and nothing else?

Also If the lawsuit is indeed in addition to the monetarily value of the contract, would Glendale have to pay it in one lump sum or would it be yearly payments (i.e pay 15 million yearly as per contract + 15 yearly towards paying off the lawsuit). Also can Glendale file for Bankruptcy protection if paying off the lawsuit would put them in that state and thus get out of paying it?

My theory is they relocate, and file for damage. Trying to force the contract on Glendale is just a bad gamble. They get bleeded to death waiting for a final judgement meanwhile they got to play without AMF. Or they get summary kicked out of court but too late to move for next season forcing them to play a lame duck season with no AMF. Glendale can tie them up in court for years, and it would be a lot cheaper than losing 6 million a year for them.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
And next year's Super Bowl is dropping the Roman Numerals - it's officially Super Bowl 50, not Super Bowl L .

That's just for one year to celebrate the 50th. Super Bowl 51 will be LI. They're also doing the number in gold instead of the usual silver. But that's because of the "anniversary" (it's not the 50th anniversary, its the 50th Super Bowl. The 50th anniversary is next year) and because the 49ers are hosting... although, using 49er gold would have made more sense to have them host the 49th Super Bowl, right?

But I digress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad