OT: PHNX Podcast

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
Meh don’t listen. If anything worthwhile comes from the show I usually catch it on Twitter.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Agree with a lot of sentiment in this thread. Glad it’s not just me.

Craig makes the podcast. Take him out and I wouldn’t listen. Lately though it’s been more difficult to listen to all the garbage just to wait for that one rare nugget of info. Whining about wins (worse lotto odds), trade rumours, other reporters, etc., is just annoying.

I don’t mind Leah. Seems like a nice person and she can produce a podcast. Two ticks on her side of the ledger. Another is she’s not a pretentious bastard like the former co-host, Jamie Eisner. It is shocking though the knowledge gaps of things that predate her. Events and players and how to pronounce their names. You’re a hockey fan but have really never heard of this stuff?

Petey is just a downer. So pessimistic. A negative Nancy. The grumpy old man schtick is tiring. Then you get into some of his bizarre takes. I’m all for difference of opinion but most of these are too much. Wanting to waive Keller and Schmaltz a few years back was the icing on the stupid cake.
The whole podcast is just so amateur.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I've largely given up on talking head podcasts. I used to listen to 32 Thoughts a lot, and dropped in on Chiclets when the subject was Coyotes-related (although listening to Ryan Whitney and the other guy really aggravated my "Boston dipshit" PTSD), but after a while I started feeling like it was a waste of time because the ratio of hard info and entertaining anecdote to filler was just not that great.

The only podcasts I listen to with any regularity these days are the Fighter Pilot Podcast and Conan O'Brien's.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I've largely given up on talking head podcasts. I used to listen to 32 Thoughts a lot, and dropped in on Chiclets when the subject was Coyotes-related (although listening to Ryan Whitney and the other guy really aggravated my "Boston dipshit" PTSD), but after a while I started feeling like it was a waste of time because the ratio of hard info and entertaining anecdote to filler was just not that great.

The only podcasts I listen to with any regularity these days are the Fighter Pilot Podcast and Conan O'Brien's.

There certainly is a difference between podcasts that are heavily produced versus those that are not. NPR has some good podcasts. One thing that makes them better is that they are mostly scripted and offer little small talk. For example, I could listen to The Indicator for 8 minutes daily and hear something relevant and inciteful, or listen to Joe Rogan drone on for 3 hours. Although, I suppose scripting doesn't work as well for video pods.

Reactions: The Feckless Puck

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
If anything they’re good for multi tasking. Great for commuting or time at the gym. I could never just sit and listen to a podcast while doing nothing else.

Reactions: MIGs Dog

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
I find myself skipping through any part of the podcast that doesn't have Craig or a guest. Like I'll load up the post game sessions during lunch and just fast forward until Craig is on and can tell us what he heard in post game interviews.

I really appreciate the interviews with people like Armstrong, Potvin, and the players though. Nobody in the hockey world is providing that content so I'd be real sad to lose the PHNX folks, but all of that is almost certainly coming from Craig's connections.

Reactions: Vinny Boombatz

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I listen to Joe Rogan. I skip all his interviews of comedians and fighters. Of the rest, I pick about half of them to listen to. Currently listening to his interview of Matt Taibbi from last week and it's great.

Prestigeworldwide

Apr 21, 2017
I like the show. I dont watch all of them but I do like Craigs info (at times), Leah is fine, Petey meh. Its great when they have guests like BA, Chris Peters,etc on. They asked pretty upfront questions and didnt hold back much for a guest tbh. Always fast foward during the draftkings, boner pill ads :laugh:
Yesterdays episode with Potvin was decent. I liked his opinion on Kolyachonok, looks like we got a good one there.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I like the show. I dont watch all of them but I do like Craigs info (at times), Leah is fine, Petey meh. Its great when they have guests like BA, Chris Peters,etc on. They asked pretty upfront questions and didnt hold back much for a guest tbh. Always fast foward during the draftkings, boner pill ads :laugh:
Yesterdays episode with Potvin was decent. I liked his opinion on Kolyachonok, looks like we got a good one there.
Kolyachonok is the best skating Dman we have period...and he hits, just need to get him into the lineup permanently and let him mature.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
i think I much preferred the natural hattrick podcast simply because it had more content and there was more philosophical discussion about the direction of the organization.

PHNX has its moments and Petey is admittedly an acquired taste but you need that voice to push back on just reinforcing Craig's narrative because when that is literally the only narrative you can believe that's the only perspective one can have in regards to what is going on with this franchise. I find myself buying into Craig's viewpoint more than I should so I need that sober second thought to make me go "woah, that's bs" or simply "well i disagree with that comment". I've seen other jurisdictions (Vancouver was terrible, just terrible) where the fans all have the exact same opinion of the people covering the team and don't push back at all at the narrative. I hated that. When you ask a question why? they don't have a response. Doesn't make for good conversation.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
I've enjoyed PHNX ever since I found them. We may not fully realize how lucky we are to have them honestly. Coming from a media market in Chicago where so much of the content was corporatized and fueled by agenda, subsequently drowning out much of the voice of the fan, PHNX is refreshing because it's just fans like us shooting the shit. It feels accessible, like any of us could do, say, share the same. And totally agree with you @rt, Craig Morgan is a blessing. We're very lucky to have a guy like him who bridges the connection between the team and fans so well.

British yote

May 16, 2014
England
I listen to most of the episodes and some of the posts games, etc.

-I appreciate that we have it. We could be stuck with those awful locked-on, fan-blog style terrible podcasts.

-I really like Craig Morgan. Big fan. Except when he talks about politics, which I really wish he wouldn’t. But, he’s on my good side 90% of the time.

-I’m a subscriber and I support, even bought some merch for myself, and my family.

-I like that Leah Merrill seems nice and that she’s obviously a Coyotes fan. It would be great if she was like a coworker or a friend who was a fan I could chat with here and there. She’d make a fine HFBoards poster.

-I have no idea how she got this job or how she’s qualified for it. She doesn’t seem to know much more than the average Twitter fan. I don’t mind that she had the job because she is likable. But it irks me a tad that she seems to have no reason to be on the show. She did like student media stuff in college for the UofA team. And I think retail maybe before that? Like just a teenagers job. This seems to be her first actual job. Which is weird. I guess her mom was like a lawyer or an accountant for the team or something like that?

-Petey is a nightmare. He’s usually drunk on the post games. He’s slurring and incoherent. He whines constantly. He has a bad attitude about everything. And his opinions are shockingly bad and almost always wrong. I can’t believe he actually worked for the team. And for so long. It’s truly mind blowing. He’s a sloppy, whiny, negative, over confident fool. And might be part of the reason the coyotes sucked for so long.

-I like Craig. And I like the PHNX Coyotes part of the company. But whenever any of the other sports personalities from the brand are around, I really dislike them. It’s like knock off, college liberal, barstool sports wannabe stuff. I don’t like it.

-I like Craig. He’s great. We’re lucky to have him. Leah is fine because she’s nice and is a Yotes fan. I can tolerate the weird company/brand because they don’t interfere too much. Easy to overlook.

-Petey is a real problem. He’s a boat anchor.
I listen to most of the episodes and some of the posts games, etc.

-I appreciate that we have it. We could be stuck with those awful locked-on, fan-blog style terrible podcasts.

-I really like Craig Morgan. Big fan. Except when he talks about politics, which I really wish he wouldn’t. But, he’s on my good side 90% of the time.

-I’m a subscriber and I support, even bought some merch for myself, and my family.

-I like that Leah Merrill seems nice and that she’s obviously a Coyotes fan. It would be great if she was like a coworker or a friend who was a fan I could chat with here and there. She’d make a fine HFBoards poster.

-I have no idea how she got this job or how she’s qualified for it. She doesn’t seem to know much more than the average Twitter fan. I don’t mind that she had the job because she is likable. But it irks me a tad that she seems to have no reason to be on the show. She did like student media stuff in college for the UofA team. And I think retail maybe before that? Like just a teenagers job. This seems to be her first actual job. Which is weird. I guess her mom was like a lawyer or an accountant for the team or something like that?

-Petey is a nightmare. He’s usually drunk on the post games. He’s slurring and incoherent. He whines constantly. He has a bad attitude about everything. And his opinions are shockingly bad and almost always wrong. I can’t believe he actually worked for the team. And for so long. It’s truly mind blowing. He’s a sloppy, whiny, negative, over confident fool. And might be part of the reason the coyotes sucked for so long.

-I like Craig. And I like the PHNX Coyotes part of the company. But whenever any of the other sports personalities from the brand are around, I really dislike them. It’s like knock off, college liberal, barstool sports wannabe stuff. I don’t like it.

-I like Craig. He’s great. We’re lucky to have him. Leah is fine because she’s nice and is a Yotes fan. I can tolerate the weird company/brand because they don’t interfere too much. Easy to overlook.

-Petey is a real problem. He’s a boat anchor.

I’d agree with most of this. I listen to about every episode as it’s my only outlet for yotes here other than this site

I like Leah, think she actually keeps the show going. Also like producer Sean think he knows a fair bit.

Like Craig except sometimes he seems like he wants to do anything but talk about the coyotes. Which annoys me. Also I think he undervalues some of the pieces we already have, that also could be use that I think we have more talent than we are given credit for.

Petey just says who cares or moans all the time. I wish they brought the other guy from the natty Hatty over instead of him.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Craig’s obviously great.

Leah’s terrific in her role and getting better all the time.

Trade Petey for a few ex-Coyote / retirees to rotate in from time to time like Taylor Pyatt.

Reactions: GermanCoyotes96

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
I have never listened, as I can't justify committing the time or bandwidth to sift through anything that's off point. Sounds like it's what most are reporting. I appreciate the sound bites that arise from it detailing specifics you can't get elsewhere, but I also find it annoying when we get a tweet indicating you will only find out by watching/listening.

I don't know if I'm fully accurate, but it feels like they push out much more content via the podcast rather than written articles and it's annoying to pay for a subscription and then have content seemingly preferenced to the podcast. I realize Craig gets most of those tiny scoops and it'd be asking him to put forth extra work to do that, but perhaps there is a way. I know he prefers to put out the longer articles which are great, but they eschew any small written updates that don't fit Twitter.

Sorry for the extra rambling, just had some additional thoughts on why I don't really listen and what kind of content I prefer instead. As an aside, I blame Facebook for misinterpreting their data on what gets better engagement where they miscalculated by a full magnitude in favor of video over written, and then sat on it for a couple of years before letting advertisers know and now we're stuck with it.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad