Post-Game Talk (GBU): Phlyers edition

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
Any word on why Hodgson was benched? Injured? After I read the Stars scout was at the game I thought Hodgson was their target. He played well for Ruff and Dallas lost half their offense to injuries.

I don't think he was benched per se. 4th line only had ~4min through the 2nd and I'd have to go back and check but I'm not sure they actually played at all in the 2nd. Probably because there was a lot of special teams play in the 2nd. Nolan did roll them back out for 3 shifts in the 3rd and of course they were the line on the ice when the go ahead goal was scored so I can't imagine that bodes well for hodgson and larsson being recognized by nolan for their strong play earlier in the game.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
I like Mitchell as a bottom 6er, though I think he'd be better off at wing than center. The rest can go though.

Yeah, it's just insane that he's our 2C/3C. In my mind he's a marginal 4C/4LW.

I've been watching most of the games this year and it's really not hard to figure out why we're so bad. A good amount of players on our team have no place in the NHL/are fringe 4th liners or 7th dman.

Strachan
Benoit
Mez
Weber
Ellis
Kaleta
Flynn
McCormick
Mitchell

I also don't think we have any legit top line players playing right now. Evander Kane can be a 1LW, but he's out for the year. I think Moulson is a 2LW, Ennis is a 2/3 LW, Gionta is a 3RW, Stewart is a 2/3RW and Zemgus is a 2/3C.

On defense, I think Bogo can be a 1/2 RHD, Zadorov is probably a 2LHD, Risto a 1/2 RHD, Gorges is a 2LHD, Pysyk a 2/3RHD. Still leaves a legit top pairing LHD to be desired. Maybe Zadorov can get there, but that's a huge question mark.

I don't think either of our goalies are legit starter caliber. We don't have any real promising prospects there that are NHL ready either. We will need to sign 1-2 goalies in the offseason. Lindback might be the worst goalie in the NHL. Neuvirth is a solid number 2. BTW - check out Miller's numbers with our team last year - unreal.

I'm hoping that our lineup can look like this soon

Kane - McEichel - FA/Grigorenko??
Moulson - Reinhart - Hodgson/Ennis
Ennis/Hodgson - Girgensons - Foligno
Des - Larsson - Gionta

FA/Trade/Zadorov? - Bogosian/Risto
Zadorov - Risto/Bogosian
Gorges - Pysyk

FA Goalie
Neuvirth

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
John Vogl ‏@BuffNewsVogl 12h12 hours ago
Sabres' Bogosian: "We have to play that intense style every night. There seems to be a lot of guys in here that are willing to do that."

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I don't think he was benched per se. 4th line only had ~4min through the 2nd and I'd have to go back and check but I'm not sure they actually played at all in the 2nd. Probably because there was a lot of special teams play in the 2nd. Nolan did roll them back out for 3 shifts in the 3rd and of course they were the line on the ice when the go ahead goal was scored so I can't imagine that bodes well for hodgson and larsson being recognized by nolan for their strong play earlier in the game.

Buffalo Sabres ‏@BuffaloSabres 13h13 hours ago
Nolan says Hodgson's play was better, and he hopes he keeps getting better & better as time goes on. #PHIvsBUF

Not sure if thats what you were hoping for.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
Buffalo Sabres ‏@BuffaloSabres 13h13 hours ago
Nolan says Hodgson's play was better, and he hopes he keeps getting better & better as time goes on. #PHIvsBUF

Not sure if thats what you were hoping for.

Hmm. Color me surprised.

StlSwedes

Dec 3, 2009
When my girlfriend, who has never followed hockey, can watch another game and comment on how much faster other teams look, you know it's really bad.

I live in St. Louis and watch the Blues regularly. Night and day difference. My wife says the same thing when I watch Sabres games. :help:

Someday, we will be flying again!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad