Phillips on the radar for a new deal

Caje

Mar 18, 2010
just let him go. Seriously don't care if he becomes the poster boy for another franchise ill live. Thanks for the stanley cup winner phillips you made this city proud.

Seriously one of the most ignorant posts I've read on this board. Wow.

exv91

Oct 13, 2011
Please do not resign Phillips. I would rather see us pick up an offseason free agent signing.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Please do not resign Phillips. I would rather see us pick up an offseason free agent signing.

Please no. Two years ago our UFA D signing was Lundin, and this past year it was Corvo. If we are talking about making room for younger guys who are already in the organization that is one thing, but if we let him walk to pick up a UFA then the odds are we will get worse.

John Holmes*

I actually feel kind of bad for Phillips.

MacMoron is ruining his legacy by playing him in situations he has no business being in.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville

MacMoron is ruining his legacy by playing him in situations he has no business being in.
Same here. He could have been our Leschychyn or Richardson, just giving us a few reliable minutes every game. Just let him take the body, make the easy plays, and then turn into HULK in the playoffs like he's used to.

Instead I cringe every time he's out there.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Hey, we have one Ceci, you forgot Ceci, put Ceci with Cowen & we should be okay. I would also replace Phillips with Boro since he has a one way for next season.

Wow... I forgot Ceci haha and I forgot Boro who has a 1 way next year although he could be traded.

Methot-Karlsson
Top 3-Ceci
Cowen-Boro

Heck...

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Ceci
Wiercioch-Boro

There is no need for Phillips whatsoever.

83DIZ65

Sep 8, 2011
halifax
Wow... I forgot Ceci haha and I forgot Boro who has a 1 way next year although he could be traded.

Methot-Karlsson
Top 3-Ceci
Cowen-Boro

Heck...

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Ceci
Wiercioch-Boro

There is no need for Phillips whatsoever.

Methot-Karlsson elite top pair
Cowen-Ceci excellent two way pairing
Gryba-Boro physical shut down pairing

ithink weircioch is gettin packaged at the deadline.....

Courty

Apr 13, 2007
Same here. He could have been our Leschychyn or Richardson, just giving us a few reliable minutes every game. Just let him take the body, make the easy plays, and then turn into HULK in the playoffs like he's used to.

Instead I cringe every time he's out there.

Yeah it's quite unfortunate for him. Phillips used to be beast...him and Volchencov were the dream defensive pairing on the PK. Chris Phillips was a SOLID dman for the better of his career.

Anyways that ship has sailed and its never coming back. I see no reason in holding onto damaged goods for another year or two when we have some promising younger guys who are currently playing much better than Phillips.

Let's be honest... keeping Phillips is not going make this team any more of a contender in the short term, nor is it going to help this team's future development. Other than re-signing him as a formality for respecting the fact that he will retire soon I see no value in keeping him.

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I posted this exact same picture two years ago, and found it buried in my Imgur album. Seems eerily appropriate to post it here as well, two years later:

qMfTQ.jpg

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Let's be honest... keeping Phillips is not going make this team any more of a contender in the short term, nor is it going to help this team's future development. Other than resigning him as a formality for respecting the fact that he will retire soon I see no value in keeping him.
Exactly. Playing Phillips might be the "safe" move, but giving minutes to a guy like Wiercioch instead might be the higher upside, albeit riskier in the short term, move.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax

This. This. This. He's fine as a guy you play 12ish minutes (more if we're on the PK too much), but he's not being used properly at all. That's why I want Murray to move him, cause it's clear PMac won't adjust.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Phillips in the bottom D pair is one thing. Phillips paired with corvo in the bottom D pair is completely another. Those two are just holding wiercioch back at the moment.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004

with Wikstrand and Claesson waiting in the wings for a chance

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
If we were willing to let Alfie go im not sure how emotion can play any role in retaining Phillips.
After losing alfie the way we did i just simply dont care what happens with Phillips.
My care tank is directly related to performance and it is currently empty with respect to phillips.

good guy? sure. Time to go, yes.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
If we were willing to let Alfie go im not sure how emotion can play any role in retaining Phillips.
After losing alfie the way we did i just simply dont care what happens with Phillips.
My care tank is directly related to performance and it is currently empty with respect to phillips.

Edmonton is waiting and has assets to deal. Phillips has all of the experience they covet, plus the area connection. Add what non-core is needed to get target the return Murray wants.

83DIZ65

Sep 8, 2011
halifax

with Wikstrand and Claesson waiting in the wings for a chance

Yup and maybe we sign another REAL top 4 dman.

Agreed I like Phillips have tons of respect for him but.... Theres no need to hold back developing players for an aging vet whos no better then they are. Same for corvo.

Edmonton is waiting and has assets to deal. Phillips has all of the experience they covet, plus the area connection. Add what non-core is needed to get target the return Murray wants.

Phillips for Hemsky straight up.??:nod:

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
Nobody, except for a young guy wanting ice time will want to go to Edmonton. Their team defence is atrocious. They need some toughness on the back end and forwards who will come back and actually help out. I'm not sure Philly is the guy. He has lost a step.
The sad thing with the team is that McLeans Best Players play policy should be Best players and seasoned vets play. When Phillips Spezza were out we played much better.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
What's the problem with Phillips re-signing as a 6/7/8 and rotating in and out of the lineup when needed (if a kid needs time in the press box, injuries, playoffs when a vet is required)? I'm sure Phillips would rather take on such a role than to be shipped off to another team and have who knows what happen. He knows he is in decline too. Does it come down to a pride thing? Chris strikes me as a guy would be man enough to accept a lesser role if it means staying in this city.

Ottawa should really keep this guy on board. No one has been a lifer yet and Philly should be the guy to do it. For me, it's an organizational pride thing. And if Philly can accept that role, re-sign the guy.

83DIZ65

Sep 8, 2011
halifax
What's the problem with Phillips re-signing as a 6/7/8 and rotating in and out of the lineup when needed (if a kid needs time in the press box, injuries, playoffs when a vet is required)? I'm sure Phillips would rather take on such a role than to be shipped off to another team and have who knows what happen. He knows he is in decline too. Does it come down to a pride thing? Chris strikes me as a guy would be man enough to accept a lesser role if it means staying in this city.

Ottawa should really keep this guy on board. No one has been a lifer yet and Philly should be the guy to do it. For me, it's an organizational pride thing. And if Philly can accept that role, re-sign the guy.

The problem with that Idea is that thats not what would happen. Phillips is MacWallrusses Besty he will play constantly as long as he's here your not gonna see him in the press box while the young guys play. Okay I may be stretching things a bit calling him a besty but he will not get sat out ever for young guys.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

We resigned him last time to be the 6th/7th/8th and instead he's on pp1.

The problem is with an internal budget, I don't want to pay a bottom pair defenseman more then 1.5-2 mil. Phillips is looking for top 4 money when its ever so clear he's not a top 4 going forward.

If he stays on a Luke Richardson a million a year type deal, sure. But 3 million or something? Forget about it!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad