Phillips on the radar for a new deal

RingoCalamity

Oct 25, 2006
I'd give him about the same money he's making now. 3-4, on a 2 year deal. Play him at 5-6 for 12 minutes a night. He's still a useful player and a valuable veteran. This team isn't in cap trouble and let's face it, the money wouldn't be going to a better player elsewhere anyway. It would just stay in Eugene's pocket.

He's getting exposed too often now because he's being asked to do too much. I shake my head every time I see him out there on the power play. That has to stop. Still, the team needs vets and he is one, and a low maintenance one who doesn't ask for much at that.

Oct 10, 2010
I don't mind re-signing him, but we still need upgrades.

Hopefully management knows this and actually get something done soon

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
I wouldn't trade him, but I would sit him for Wier. I think he makes an excellent 7th D. He can step in whenever we have injuries or others don't play as well. He can be helpful in the playoffs as well, if we even make it.

As much as I don't like PHillips behind the back breakaway blunders he plays a decent all round game. You can't possible think that Wiercioch is anywhere close defensively. Yes PW is better in the O end but if you look at the scores to see the two things we need.

!. Give up less goals by less turnovers and solid defensive play.
2. Get some solid goaltending.

PW isn't going to help us here because both of these are in our defensive zone.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
the way he is playing he should get 2.5 max for 2 years. i'd prefer if he was traded though. as much as i like phillips and appreciate what he has done the return would benefit the team more than his contributions.
hell if they can say goodbye to fisher, kelly, alfie, foligno, vermette (all better players than phillips) i don't see what the issue is here.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
the way he is playing he should get 2.5 max for 2 years. i'd prefer if he was traded though. as much as i like phillips and appreciate what he has done the return would benefit the team more than his contributions.
hell if they can say goodbye to fisher, kelly, alfie, foligno, vermette (all better players than phillips) i don't see what the issue is here.
Obviously it's his history with the team, 1st overall draft pick that has only played for this one team in Ottawa & he is entrenched in the community along with his wife. The only one close to that on your list (aside from Alfie) is Fisher & his leaving was more acceptable because of his wife living & working out of Nashville. The Alfredsson debacle at the beginning of the yr may actually play into Phillips favour & may make it difficult for management to walk away from him.

If Phillips was ready to retire they could talk about a front office job but Phillips seems intent on continuing to play which makes it difficult considering they may not have room for him on next yr's roster. It will be interesting to watch how it plays out but I would rather have the younger defencemen on the team next yr instead of Phillips. Young players also seem like they are transitioning into the NHL much faster than ever before too which could help management move forward.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I'd only re-sign Phillips if the following happened:

We get another top 3 defender.

Methot-Karlsson
Top 3 defender-Cowen
Wiercioch-Gryba
Phillips

Although I unno why people would pay 3 mil for a 7th defender.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
As much as I don't like PHillips behind the back breakaway blunders he plays a decent all round game. You can't possible think that Wiercioch is anywhere close defensively. Yes PW is better in the O end but if you look at the scores to see the two things we need.

!. Give up less goals by less turnovers and solid defensive play.
2. Get some solid goaltending.

PW isn't going to help us here because both of these are in our defensive zone.

I agree Wier is not there defensively yet, and may never be at Phillips' level. But the issue is not really turnovers by Phillips. It's inability to move the puck out of our defensive zone. How many times has Phillips been hemmed up in our zone. Countless. I think Wier can help in that respect.

And actually, Wier is not that bad defensively as you make him out to be. He's not great, but he's not terrible. I could make the case that he's even better defensively in our zone than Karlsson this year. It's just the Karlsson produces way more offense to offset his defensive struggles.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'd only re-sign Phillips if the following happened:

We get another top 3 defender.

Methot-Karlsson
Top 3 defender-Cowen
Wiercioch-Gryba
Phillips

Although I unno why people would pay 3 mil for a 7th defender.

Hey, we have one Ceci, you forgot Ceci, put Ceci with Cowen & we should be okay. I would also replace Phillips with Boro since he has a one way for next season.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Ceci
Wiercioch-Boro

Gryba/Phillips

or

Cowen-Karlsson
Methot-Ceci
Wiercioch-Boro

Gryba/Phillips

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I would re-sign him if BM has a talk with PMac to smarten him up.

If MacLean continues to put Phillips in the roles he is currently playing, Murray might want to think about letting him walk just so that PMac can't play him!

I have no problem with Phillips as a 6th D. But we are currently using him as far more than that.

Edit - read post above mine - if we re-sign Phillips at the expense of PW, I will be one unhappy fella.

Murray said in a sit down interview he wants to see Patty play more. Since that interview, PW has played, I believe, 1 game. And we won 3-0. MacLean then proceeds to scratch him the following 2 games. It's unreal.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Honestly, I would rather have Wiercioch or Boro in the lineup next year. I like Phillips and don't think he's useless, appreciate what he's done and the effort he brings, but I don't want to lose those two as they begin to look ready for regular duty.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Maclean said in an interview/pre-game conference the other day that it's gonna be Gryba, Corvo & Wiercioch rotating in and out of that last spot and that the other 5 guys are not coming out of the lineup.

Murray also in an interview said he thinks Wiercioch should be a full time player and that he thought he would be full time... since that interview he's played once.

Clearly Murray and Maclean differ on Wiercioch's role with this team. I could see Murray playing his trading cards to try to either make room for Wier, or use him in a trade. His future could be directly tied to what happens with Phillips.

Othello*

How can MacLean not sit Phillips. He's horrible, Wiercioch is better then him at everything except the pk and we have Gryba for that

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
just let him go. Seriously don't care if he becomes the poster boy for another franchise ill live. Thanks for the stanley cup winner phillips you made this city proud.

CR15

Feb 15, 2010
Windsor
Give him the same $ if it's for one more year 2 year deal he should be taking a pay cut. I hate not having a young player like Weir in the line up for a guy on the decline. I hope Murray doesn't jump the gun incase the team falls out of the race and he can be dealt for something.

Regardless appreciate the battles Phillips has been through for this team.

LatteLarrys

LatteLarry's
Dec 27, 2013
just let him go. Seriously don't care if he becomes the poster boy for another franchise ill live. Thanks for the stanley cup winner phillips you made this city proud.

Yes. Well, I'd rather avoid another franchise smudge if we can. Green Day - Time of Your Life lyrics and find another solid, experienced D-man similar to Methot. Ceci-EXP D/Weir, Karl-Cowen (I'm not against trading him if he's a part of a package with good returns), and Methot-Weir(or Gryba).

source

Jul 13, 2008
Interesting timing for Phillips' contract extension. You wonder if a trade is in the works if a contract doesn't get done by the trade deadline. You also wonder what Melnyk's willingness to spend for next season is, and therefore on what terms Melnyk might be able to accommodate Phillips.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Phillips is still solid! :yo:

picture.php

83DIZ65

Sep 8, 2011
halifax
If they arent going to resign him they better deal him at the deadline. Id rather get an asset back then watch him walk as a free agent. Ask him to give a list of places he wants to play and work out the best deal to send him to win a cup. If they dont do that they better resign him to a team friendly contract if he makes over3mil next year ill kill a kitten a puppy and sparta cat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad