Phillips on the radar for a new deal

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
The problem with that Idea is that thats not what would happen. Phillips is MacWallrusses Besty he will play constantly as long as he's here your not gonna see him in the press box while the young guys play. Okay I may be stretching things a bit calling him a besty but he will not get sat out ever for young guys.

We resigned him last time to be the 6th/7th/8th and instead he's on pp1.

I agree that Phillips is not being used in a role where he can succeed and PMac needs to stop this 20 minutes a game stuff (see my post #162), but this problem is solved with strict orders from the GM for the coach to pull his head out of his ass.

Though I alluded to it in a previous post, for a GM to let go of a serviceable player simply because the coach has a thing for over using a player really should not happen. One would think that the related PW situation, where he is not getting ANY ice time, would be a more difficult one to persuade Paulrus on. But sadly the guy seems really stubborn in both cases.

Could always fire him :sarcasm:

Last edited:

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
It's a shame that Phillips it being hated like this, but to be honest, it's Macleans fault. Maybe we start to boo him like we did Redden? It worked to get rid of Reds maybe we can do it to Philly?

Whippet

Feb 6, 2013
This is a bit OT, but i didn't know where to place it but since we're talking about Phillips standing in the way for young players i thought i'd just put it here ;

So, Any thoughts about Roger Rönnberg? Has done very well with young players (winning the WJC for Sweden and took the team to the final the following year and is currently doing an excellent job with a young Frölunda team in the SHL(currently second)) I think he'd be a perfect addition to our organisation since he knows how to get the best out of young prospects. Maybe working as an assistant coach would fit him and the team well atm.

He's worked with Zibby and Wikstrand(and even working with him right now) which is a benefit. He's only 42 which is a young age as a coach and has already been successful in his career.

Im not sure if he's been contacted yet by any other teams in the NHL though.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/staff.php?staff=155

Last edited:

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
It's a shame that Phillips it being hated like this, but to be honest, it's Macleans fault. Maybe we start to boo him like we did Redden? It worked to get rid of Reds maybe we can do it to Philly?

what's with the jump to 'hate'? it's what is best for the team. he might not fit in anymore that is all.

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
Murray probably sees what we see anyways with Phillips. He was willing to trade Redden and not resign him if he walked when it was clear he was done. Redden was also someone you thought would have been on the team for life too but Murray knew someone else would overpay for him and let him walk. We debate about Phillips but there is a good chance Murray already knows that he will likely shop him or let him walk unless he only comes back on 1 year deals with a big pay cut. I highly doubt he's thinking of giving him another multi-year deal like last time.

John Holmes*

Maybe he can retire and we can hire him as our pointing coach.

cropped-black-pointy.jpg

For his first day.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
point at guy.
get scored on.
tilt head.
look to sky.
shake head while veering behind the net towards corner then skate to the bench with hangdog look.

repeat, very frequently.

Frankly his last contract was a gift from management given how astoundingly abysmal his play had become. To his credit he picked up his game to the point of being serviceable and at times good.
Its now getting back to the point of not serviceable IMO.

Yourkeyparka

Oct 15, 2010
point at guy.
get scored on.
tilt head.
look to sky.
shake head while veering behind the net towards corner then skate to the bench with hangdog look.

repeat, very frequently.

Frankly his last contract was a gift from management given how astoundingly abysmal his play had become. To his credit he picked up his game to the point of being serviceable and at times good.
Its now getting back to the point of not serviceable IMO.

Fully agree - Big Rig doesn't hit anyone, can't pass well, skating now below average. Always chasing and never catching anyone - gets caught an loses puck. Slow reaction time.

Time to put the Rig into the garage, disconnect the battery and drain the oil.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
The only way I want him back, is as a 6-7th defensemen, at 2M per MAX, for no more than 2 years.

How many 6/7 defenceman get paid 2 million a year? We're not spending to the cap here. We could use that money to spend on someone who's actually good.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
How many 6/7 defenceman get paid 2 million a year? We're not spending to the cap here. We could use that money to spend on someone who's actually good.

With Ceci and Borowiecki on their ELC's, we can afford to give Phillips 2M as a 6/7.

He still brings leadership and experience to the team, and COULD play top 4 minutes when we have injuries.

Courty

Apr 13, 2007
Murray probably sees what we see anyways with Phillips. He was willing to trade Redden and not resign him if he walked when it was clear he was done. Redden was also someone you thought would have been on the team for life too but Murray knew someone else would overpay for him and let him walk. We debate about Phillips but there is a good chance Murray already knows that he will likely shop him or let him walk unless he only comes back on 1 year deals with a big pay cut. I highly doubt he's thinking of giving him another multi-year deal like last time.

The difference between Redden and Phillips is that at the time Redden left, although he was declining, there was still good value left in his game that other teams were interested in. A regressed Redden is still more valuable to any team than a regressed Phillips IMO. Ofcourse in the end the NYR deal was a complete bust for them, but there was still hope in Redden's play at the time. Even when Redden signed the one year deal with St.Louis, he added value to their PP and a good vet presence on defense.

I don't see many teams in the league finding that much value in adding Phillips to their defense at this point in this career. He's honestly not that useful unless he's playing good defense, which he is not. He does not add any value elsewhere, on the PK or PP.

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
A lot of other teams would play him rightfully where he belongs, as the 7th defenseman or on the bottom pairing. He still has value on cup contending teams and even young teams. A cup contending team would bring him in for depth in the playoffs and a young team would bring him in for leadership and to help the other d-men. Boston would be all over Phillips if he walks or in a trade if they can't get Girardi. I honestly think he ends up there anyways because of the Chia connection. At least you could get a pick or so if you trade him there. He wouldn't replace Seidenberg but he would give the bruins an experienced d-man which is something they want for that hole they have.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
I think the veteran leadership bit is overblown for this group. Frankly, the results are better the fewer veteran leaders we have in the line-up.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
If he's such a calming influence in the dressing room then hire him as an assistant to the coach or consultant or something. I don't think anyone doubts that he's a great influence on some of the younger players, but he is nowhere near as effective as he was 5 years ago and he's becoming a real liability on the ice.

If MacLean had platooned him with Corvo/Weir/Gryba or something then I'd be alright with him coming back. IMO they already have better candidates for his ice time both on the roster and in Binghamton.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Maybe they could start having him sit upstairs from time to time like they did with Richardson. It might make the transition into retirement/coaching easier to swallow.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
With Ceci and Borowiecki on their ELC's, we can afford to give Phillips 2M as a 6/7.

He still brings leadership and experience to the team, and COULD play top 4 minutes when we have injuries.
I don`t think the Sens need to carry 8 defencemen again next season, 7 is more than enough & we have that in EK, MM, CC, JC, PW, EG & MB. Then we have a few more in Bingo, if needed. Ottawa doessn`t need nor have room for Phillips next yr & should consider trading him at the deadline. There was no need to sign Corvo this yr either & maybe there would have been more ice time for Wiercioch & Gryba to get better.

John Holmes*

Maybe they could start having him sit upstairs from time to time like they did with Richardson. It might make the transition into retirement/coaching easier to swallow.

He'll run his pub, he'll start or join some hockey school and live off his millions.

Life after retirement will be just fine for CP4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad