Value of: Phillip Danault

HABNIKO

Jun 29, 2015
Montreal
So if you trade him for futures at the deadline we’d be more less giving up on any playoff hopes wouldn’t we ? The team is well built for playoff hockey but taking your top defensive center out would definitely hurt the teams chances . What would you do ?
It's too late to trade Danault now as we are playoff bound.
I would've traded Danault during the summer when he reportedly refused 6 year contact at $5 - $6 Million.
I would've offered Danault to Rangers or many other teams for a good return and ease of cap space.

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
It's too late to trade Danault now as we are playoff bound.
I would've traded Danault during the summer when he reportedly refused 6 year contact at $5 - $6 Million.
I would've offered Danault to Rangers or many other teams for a good return and ease of cap space.
He could be traded for futures but MB would first have to acquire another forward or 2 as rentals. He would have to trade futures and prospects to get them. Of course at the moment Danault is worthless.

Reactions: HABNIKO

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
I really hope the Habs reward Danault big this summer. How can you let a Bergeron clone walk for free as an UFA? :sarcasm:

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
I really hope the Habs reward Danault big this summer. How can you let a Bergeron clone walk for free as an UFA? :sarcasm:

chokeslam.gif

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Could not disagree more, he is playing as if he was not in a contract year, not risking turnovers, being as good as ever defensively speaking. It is just that people don't seem to understand that his offensive numbers are not what matters. I'd give him 5x5 as I would have months ago. Suzuki has been the best Center in MTL over a 11 games sample but honestly Danault is easilty the 2nd best while KK and Evans are a fair bit behind.

Do you even watch the Habs ? Everything in that message is wrong. Evans, KK and Suzuki are all playing better than him since the season started. Not only he's useless offensively, but he's not as good as usual defensively. He looks disinterested and yesterday he cost us at least one goal.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Do you even watch the Habs ? Everything in that message is wrong. Evans, KK and Suzuki are all playing better than him since the season started. Not only he's useless offensively, but he's not as good as usual defensively. He looks disinterested and yesterday he cost us at least one goal.

yep you know nothing about Hockey, fanboy name says it all ;) kk has been playing poorly, evans has been a very good 4th liner, the fact that Danault has been playing worse than last years does not make him worse than them. This team has only been in the spotlight thanks to van

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
yep you know nothing about Hockey, fanboy name says it all ;) kk has been playing poorly, evans has been a very good 4th liner, the fact that Danault has been playing worse than last years does not make him worse than them. This team has only been in the spotlight thanks to van

I hope you are watching him tonight... He's so good yet again.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
I am far from a fan boy and I have to agree with the other poster Danault has been playing like shit since the so called playoffs. The guy has been sulking since Suzuki took over the number one spot from him and he thinks the Habs some how "owe" him that 1st line position even though hes still playing with Gallagher and Tatar. I rather just let him walk instead of having another head ache of a contract on our hands. We can use that 5.5-6m a year(apparently he declined a 5x5 contract) cap space on improving other positions in our line up.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I am far from a fan boy and I have to agree with the other poster Danault has been playing like shit since the so called playoffs. The guy has been sulking since Suzuki took over the number one spot from him and he thinks the Habs some how "owe" him that 1st line position even though hes still playing with Gallagher and Tatar. I rather just let him walk instead of having another head ache of a contract on our hands. We can use that 5.5-6m a year(apparently he declined a 5x5 contract) cap space on improving other positions in our line up.

but I am not saying he has been playing escpecially well, and he has not been as good as in the previous year. I have only said he is still the 2nd best center on this team, which is a fact given KK s play and Evans being a bottom liner albeit a good one. Danault is a 40 to 50 point scorer with declining toi so of course he s going to have less points than before !

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
My point is Danault is bad since the season started, unlike Evans, KK and Suzuki.

Julien even moved Toffoli to his wing to get him going and still nothing...

"But how about the kids"

toffoli has scorer most of his points against the same team (VAN). Evans has been good on the PK but has shown his limits when playing against stronger opponents and KK has been inexistant for the most part.

That s what happens when your contention window has you focused on two 21-year old centers and a declining overpaid goalie. Oh and when your 1st LHD would be a third pairing D in the league, and does not complement his line partner. Let us not forget Claude Julien sorry ;)

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
toffoli has scorer most of his points against the same team (VAN). Evans has been good on the PK but has shown his limits when playing against stronger opponents and KK has been inexistant for the most part.

That s what happens when your contention window has you focused on two 21-year old centers and a declining overpaid goalie. Oh and when your 1st LHD would be a third pairing D in the league, and does not complement his line partner. Let us not forget Claude Julien sorry ;)

And yet Evans/KK are better than Danault this year, it says a lot about Danault's level of play... Not only is he borderline useless in the offensive zone, but he's taking bad penalties and not defending well. Suzuki and KK are still young, you can excuse them. But how about the guy who's playing for a contract and who is 27 years old ? What's his excuse ? Since the playoffs he's bad...

Can't score, can't pass the puck well, he has no hands, this guy is a product of his wingers.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Just looking at Danault's possession metrics...

His Corsi is still pretty good by league standards at 54.3%, but his Relative corsi has fallen off pretty hard this season, far below his career average. Statistically he hasn't been playing like one of the better players on the team. Last season he was 3rd on the team in CF%, this year he's 9th.

His PDO is also very low though which suggests that he's getting a little bit unlucky as well.

upload_2021-2-12_12-26-42.png

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
According to Bob Mackenzie Pittsburgh have been trying to reaquire Fleury. If they do, perhaps Casey DeSmith is someone Sakic should be looking at.

DeSmith is an experienced backup/No.3 who has some pretty stellar career statistics overall with the Penguins:

upload_2021-2-12_13-16-0-png.395503

He'd be a pretty big upgrade on Miska as backup short-term, and then when Francouz returns to health DeSmith could still be kept around as 2B/No.3 given that his caphit is really low at $1.25m.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
And yet Evans/KK are better than Danault this year, it says a lot about Danault's level of play... Not only is he borderline useless in the offensive zone, but he's taking bad penalties and not defending well. Suzuki and KK are still young, you can excuse them. But how about the guy who's playing for a contract and who is 27 years old ? What's his excuse ? Since the playoffs he's bad...

Can't score, can't pass the puck well, he has no hands, this guy is a product of his wingers.

Danault for Strome ?

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
According to Bob Mackenzie Pittsburgh have been trying to reaquire Fleury. If they do, perhaps Casey DeSmith is someone Sakic should be looking at.

DeSmith is an experienced backup/No.3 who has some pretty stellar career statistics overall with the Penguins:

upload_2021-2-12_13-16-0-png.395503

He'd be a pretty big upgrade on Miska as backup short-term, and then when Francouz returns to health DeSmith could still be kept around as 2B/No.3 given that his caphit is really low at $1.25m.
With only 50 games played though. Teams will start figuring out a goalie around that time.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
With only 50 games played though. Teams will start figuring out a goalie around that time.
Most of his starts as a backup are also against worse teams which undoubtedly influences his stats, as would be true for any backup including Francouz.

Still though, posting good numbers is all you can ask for from a goalie regardless of what situation they're in.

Whatever the case, he'd certainly be an upgrade on Miska which is of most importance and relevance.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I’m genuinely curious to see what everyone thinks is Danault’s worth right now. We all know he’s a soon-to-be UFA, but what if discussions for an extension are to take place before said trade...

He’s one of the top defensive Centers in the league. He shuts down all the top Centers (he had the top 2 players, McDrai, get a measly assist in two full games, and recently had MacKinnon pimp him out big time).

Anyway, with Julien playing him less than all other Centers last night, I was wondering if we traded him; what could be had?

Hit me with your best offer!

Fans will use his point total against him while I rather look at his defensive side . He is a net positive player for the last 5 years . +/- Around +18 in a full season . He does this while being able to shut down top players . I would say he is worth 5/5.5 a season . I would like to see the Oilers offer him 5.5 X6 . I don't see him leaving Montreal tho . It is also only 500K more then Montreal offered . I would let him centre Draisaitl but they could switch around as the Cs

If Holloway is ready .

Holloway McDavid Puljujarvi
RNH Danault Draisaitl
Benson McLeod Yamamoto
Archibald Khaira Kassian

Would still like to upgrade at 3c , 2LW and a goalie . But should leave enough cap to make a run at Hamilton

Nurse Hamilton = 28 minutes a night
Klefbom Larsson 19 minutes a night
Samorukov Bouchard . A hope at best . 13 minute a night against 3rd and 4th liners
to break in the rookies .

Oh Can we Use Price for the playoffs ? Can't afford his cap but they don't get paid in the playoffs so it works out well

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I expect the habs to resign him. They're absolutely letting Tatar walk and Drouin isn't back either. They'll probably just bite bullet and give him pageau type money. He wants to be here and he's one of the only francophones left. A PR disaster for the CH if they let him go.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Gallagher should get props as well. One of the best defensive wingers in the game. Both Gally and Danault sacrifice offense to shut down the opposition. Heart and soul team guys.

Tatar, not so much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad