Player Discussion Phillip Danault - The Centermania Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
So if those are their weaknesses, what package as Jets GM would you take for Laine?
A legitimate 2C + top 4 Dman + 1st round pick OR an A tier defensive prospect.

So from Montreal that'd be something along the lines of Danault, Mete, 1st or Danault, Mete, Juulsen?

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Saying his "role changed" in the playoffs?

For what? Like 4 games?

Let's be honest here, as long as Claude Julien is coaching this team, Philippe Danault will always play with Tatar/Gallagher and 18+ mins a game vs top lines.

Nothing has changed.

So IMO, to start talking about this now, seems a bit premature.

But whatever...
Danault ain't stupid. He saw the writing on the wall. Management was pushing for Zuk and KK to play at #1 & #2.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I don’t think it is necessarily about who he is playing with, it is more the fact that while KK’s play improved, they still had to protect him big time, meaning giving him the gravy and having Danault do the dirty work, and I can’t blame him for not wanting to do that for the next 3-4 years.

In the end, the real problem was that we did not have a real 4th line. If we still had guys like Thompson and Cousins, our 4th line could have taken more of the dirty work freeing up some quality ice time for Danault, and he would likely feel a lot better of his playoffs.

So I do not see it as an ultimatum, but if it is, I’m not sure getting rid of Danault would put us in a better position...

Eller did it for 4 years without complaining once even when thrown under the bus. I mean DD was sheltered a lot and even often went back to the bench for a change when the other team was on a breakaway and guess who would jump on the ice for the -1 when it happened ...

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Danault ain't stupid. He saw the writing on the wall. Management was pushing for Zuk and KK to play at #1 & #2.

If he ain't stupid he should also know he wont win a cup as a 1st line center. Maybe 2nd line on a team stacked with quality big wingers (i.e. not our team). I understand he wants to play this role until he signs his next contract but at the same time he must be realistic. If he signs for too much it will only hurt him in the long run. Nobody wants a 3rd line center signed for 6.5 millions.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

So from Montreal that'd be something along the lines of Danault, Mete, 1st or Danault, Mete, Juulsen?

At the end of stoppage in play this year, Laine already had 138 goals at the age of 21. He may be a Hall of Famer and you have say 5 years left to get a better deal in a trade before he becomes a UFA. That's the deal you accept for him if you're GM: Danault, Mete, and Juulsen?

Reactions: abo9 and DavePeak

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
If he ain't stupid he should also know he wont win a cup as a 1st line center. Maybe 2nd line on a team stacked with quality big wingers (i.e. not our team). I understand he wants to play this role until he signs his next contract but at the same time he must be realistic. If he signs for too much it will only hurt him in the long run. Nobody wants a 3rd line center signed for 6.5 millions.
Danault is looking at the money. And I can't say I blame him. He's looking out for himself and his family. But as a GM or a fan I'm looking at winning the cup so our interests are not mutual.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Did you read the article?

Danault remet en question son avenir à Montréal - TVA Sports

Mais la réponse la plus représentative de l’état d’esprit du Québécois est survenue quelques instants plus tard, alors qu’un journaliste lui a demandé si son rôle avec l’équipe allait avoir une influence sur son désir de demeurer à Montréal.
«Oui», a-t-il répondu très sèchement.
«En séries, les entraîneurs voulaient voir ce que les jeunes pouvaient faire et ils ont brassé les cartes. Mon rôle est devenu strictement défensif et je me répète, mais je sais que je peux amener plus que ça.
«J’ai toujours eu une excellente chimie avec Brendan Gallagher et Tomas Tatar. Ce trio peut fonctionner.»

What is he whining about his role became strictly defenisve because he wasn't playing with Gallagher and Tatar??? The last game when were down a goal, he was playing with Tatar and Lehkonen and getting plenty of chances to get the equilizer with offensive zone faceoffs. And that was because Gallagher was injured. Muller had reunited the Tatar Dannault Gallagher line in the Flyers series (much to my chagrin) and they did nothing. Breaking that line up and putting Phil with Byron and Lehkonen is what changed the dynamic of the Pens series!
Much ado about squat IMO.

FYI - Posted an article from The Athletic, I agree with Basu & Godin, due to combination of flat cap/reduced revenue stream and escrow impacts - Danault will take term on a heavily backloaded deal below $5M AAV - they say $4.75M

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkovsKnee

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
At the end of stoppage in play this year, Laine already had 138 goals at the age of 21. He may be a Hall of Famer and you have say 5 years left to get a better deal in a trade before he becomes a UFA. That's the deal you accept for him if you're GM: Danault, Mete, and Juulsen?
Like I said, I'd seriously consider it.

You'd be likely getting 2 top 4 defensemen in a couple years and a center that's after receiving Selke votes for a player that has a deadly shot, but has yet to match Max Domi's career high points total, and put up a -24 a season ago.

Laine has upsides and downsides like all players, but I think there's a very real chance Winnipeg would be a better, more rounded team following that trade

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
Danault for Pavel Zacha + Miles Wood. Do it! No more size-problems after that. Devils could actually fall for that because selke nominee :naughty:

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head

Translation: Danault was honest when it was brought up that he will be a UFA next summer. He was asked if his new role would affect his decision to stay in Montreal. Danault said yes.

Bye, 3rd liners are not that hard to find and they are cheaper than you, the guy thinks he's a legit #1C... What a clueless player.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
What player is he, a player that didn't hit 55 points after 4 seasons of playing with our team's two best offensive players each year?

Honestly, I don't even think it's about the contract. I think he just loved playing that role and doesn't want to do what's best for the team.

He's a 3rd line center who can play second line center to fill in for injuries. He would be a premium 3rd line C.. but he doesn't deserve the money he's gonna be asking for..

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Danault is not Radek Faksa. Don’t expect him to settle for a 3rd line center contract. If Suzuki and Kotkaniemi develop how we all hope they will, that's terrific. But I'd rather have a luxury player in the #3C spot, because it means we'd actually have one of the best center depths in the league for a change. Just like the Cup winning teams of the 80's and early 90's. Banking it all on the kids' development NOW would be extremely shortsighted. That's why Danault will be given a long term contract, similar to Pageau's.

If all goes well with the kids and if a guy like Poehling pushes hard from below, that's when you adjust and move Phil.

Alternatively, if there's a player too good to pass on, and he can be had in a deal centered around Danault, you move him.

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017
If you trade Danault though you need to either sign or trade for a veteran 3c that can fill in at 2 if needed. A center line of Suzuki, KK, Evans would put too much pressure on the young guys.

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012

No way Winnipeg bites at that. If it has to be Danault, you'll have to add Romanov and the 1st/Caufield and maybe they are interested then.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Oh man, I caught up. This guy is not going to be worth the money he’ll want, especially as his role lessens. That’s a shame. If he accepted his spot in the 3C down the road we’d have a real strong centre group when Suzuki and Kotkaniemi command the top-6 spots.

Reactions: Runner77

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
In a free market it’s about maximizing gain...nothing wrong with that.

Real gamers flair the opportunity and give it their best shot to prove they're worth their money.
Losers whine and cry about not being put in the good role.

I'm incredibly disappointed by these comments. As for those who only speak English and doubt the translation; it's true. He went as far as whining about how his role in the playoffs was strictly defensive and how it would affect his future with the Montreal Canadiens if we kept using him in that role.

For the record, I was a fan of the player before this interview. But this is just bullshit. Between Domi and Danault, the attitude of those players is incredibly telling. Those guys are not winners. And we should not bother keeping on with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad