Player Discussion Phillip Danault - The Centermania Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Wow I really thought Danault was a team player, but I understand that he could make way more money as a UFA if he plays big minutes next year. I have a feeling there's some big changes coming to Montreal. I think he only says that if he know some other "core" guys are getting moved imo.
Doubtful...

No team is going to pay Danault 6.5-7M to play #1C.

He's overplaying his hand.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I'm actually glad to see the honesty, I wish more players spoke like that. So hopefully people don't call him out for the things he said, because it's that type of reaction that makes most players speak in cliches and not speak their mind.

As for the contents of comments, nothing really surprising in there. He rightly sees himself as a top-6 player, and is going to expect to be paid like one when it comes time for his next contract.

As expected we have to make a decision about our future at center, there isn't enough place for Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Danault, and Domi. Domi is surely on way out but that still leaves 3 players for 2 spots because none of them will be happy as the 3rd line center. It's why I had hoped we would try Danault out on the wing (But still taking faceoffs), it's the only way to keep all 3 guys and I suspect Danault would be just as effective at wing since he's great on the boards, and defensively roles are based on who backchecks first and not position anyways.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017
Doubtful...

No team is going to pay Danault 6.5-7M to play #1C.

He's overplaying his hand.
Yea he won't be a #1 c that's for sure, but if he plays big minutes, that'll help in the negotiations I'm sure. He's probably looking at Kevin Hayes making 7mil and feels like he can get close to that, especially after playing against him. I don't blame him tbh, but yea, he might be overplaying his hand, to bad tho, I liked him in that 3c role.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yea he won't be a #1 c that's for sure, but if he plays big minutes, that'll help in the negotiations I'm sure. He's probably looking at Kevin Hayes making 7mil and feels like he can get close to that, especially after playing against him. I don't blame him tbh, but yea, he might be overplaying his hand, to bad tho, I liked him in that 3c role.
The Habs have backed themselves into this corner with Danault...But they don't have to feel like they have to acquiesce to his demands, especially not with what we saw from Suzuki & Kotkaniemi these playoffs.

Yes the sample size is small, but it's time to turn over the roster.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I don’t see the problem with his comments. Players doesn’t choose where he play and it’s normal that a player prefer to play top line minutes with the best players then on a defensive 3rd line.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I don’t see the problem with his comments. Players doesn’t choose where he play and it’s normal that a player prefer to play top line minutes with the best players then on a defensive 3rd line.
Nothing wrong with his comments...the timing is a bit odd is all.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
then you better trade him. I'm okay with that. Would've loved him as a 3c though.

This could be Danault's feelings right now because it's all fresh. And I appreciate that he feels he should be higher in the line-up. However, there is time for the coaches and management to talk with him. He may eventually come to terms with it. But if he continues to contest, then move him. I could see Evans take that 3C role.

Reactions: ForeverHabs97

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Why ? A journalist ask him a question about that in his end of the season press conference. He was just honest
Again, nothing wrong with what he said.

But he's talking like a guy working the media for his next contract. Seems a tad bit early to start that conversation.

But whatever.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Again, nothing wrong with what he said.

But he's talking like a guy working the media for his next contract. Seems a tad bit early to start that conversation.

But whatever.

not that early they can start to negotiate his contract when the season will finish and I'm sure that MB will start the negotiation in this offseason

Reactions: Archijerej

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
not that early they can start to negotiate his contract when the season will finish and I'm sure that MB will start the negotiation in this offseason

This is the same problem they ran into with Price.. they rely on a guy too much and are at mercy to pay him. If Danault wants his contract to be reminiscent of the player he thinks he is, we can't simply extend him at that rate.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
This is the same problem they ran into with Price.. they rely on a guy too much and are at mercy to pay him. If Danault wants his contract to be reminiscent of the player he thinks he is, we can't simply extend him at that rate.

I'm not saying I agree signing him 6m. My point is that is totally understand Danault position with his comment

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Saying his "role changed" in the playoffs?

For what? Like 4 games?

Let's be honest here, as long as Claude Julien is coaching this team, Philippe Danault will always play with Tatar/Gallagher and 18+ mins a game vs top lines.

Nothing has changed.

So IMO, to start talking about this now, seems a bit premature.

But whatever...

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Agreed but I think the better example was Tomas Plekanec.

When they signed him to that 6M deal when he was passed it.

This is where they're headed with Danault unless they change the way they deploy their players.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Evans has still alote to prove before replacing Danault. I'm not sure he will be a 3rd line center I prefer him on a 4th line

Domi is fine at C playing with offensive players. Suzuki and KK will be good centers defensively, without Danault's limited offense - Phil's own ego aside.

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
I don't mind what he's saying, but a good team will win with him on a third line, not on the top 6. I kinda hope he values winning more than money or else he'll be better off playing somewhere else.

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
I think moving Domi this summer should be our priority.

Then if Danault is dead set on making $5 million+ then we'll have to sign and trade him next summer.
No way we can be paying that money to a player that's probably gonna be stuck on the 3rd line in 2 years time.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Domi is fine at C playing with offensive players. Suzuki and KK will be good centers defensively, without Danault's limited offense - Phil's own ego aside.

even if Suzuki and KK are defensively responsable, I don't want them them to play a defensive role. With Danault facing other team best lines you have KK and Suzuki fresh for offensive mission and I don't see any problem with Danault ego

Reactions: Trash Man
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad