Player Discussion Phillip Danault - First line Center Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Danault doesn't make his team worse. It's the whole make up of the team and the lack of depth due to very bad drafting, that is causing the actual problems.
We have PLENTY of center depth

Domi
Suzuki
Kotkaniemi
Danault
Poehling
Thompson

And when healthy we have great overall forward depth

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
Danault doesn't make his team worse. It's the whole make up of the team and the lack of depth due to very bad drafting, that is causing the actual problems.
I swear it's like you guys are deliberately skipping over the fact i said Danault is just fine as a no2. He isn't the issue in isolation. I said that right at the beginning of this entire mess!

Unfortunately the Habs find themselves at the centre of a tug-of-war between those who think that they don't do enough to represent Quebec, and those who think Language is being placed above success.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Jul 6, 2016
I swear it's like you guys are deliberately skipping over the fact i said Danault is just fine as a no2. He isn't the issue in isolation. I said that right at the beginning of this entire mess!

Unfortunately the Habs find themselves at the centre of a tug-of-war between those who think that they don't do enough to represent Quebec, and those who think Language is being placed above success.

Casual fans, anglos or francos , don't give a shit. They want a winning team whatever the players are coming from. Koivu, Kovalev, Subban were all very much loved and respected, as well as the Drydens, Robinsons and Gaineys of the past.

But it is fun to have some "significant' players coming from Quebec and playing for - not the "HABS"... but for le Club de Hockey Canadien de Montréal. That's part f the making and the tradition. It is just more "marketable".

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
Casual fans, anglos or francos , don't give a ****. They want a winning team whatever the players are coming from. Koivu, Kovalev, Subban were all very much loved and respected, as well as the Drydens, Robinsons and Gaineys of the past.

But it is fun to have some "significant' players coming from Quebec and playing for - not the "HABS"... but for le Club de Hockey Canadien de Montréal. That's part f the making and the tradition. It is just more "marketable".
Tell the habs to stop bowing to the crazies. The cunneyworth protests and subsequent self-imposed rule left many feeling that the Habs don't care about winning any more. That's the perception even if it's not the truth.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

Jul 6, 2016
Tell the habs to stop bowing to the crazies. The cunneyworth protests and subsequent self-imposed rule left many feeling that the Habs don't care about winning any more. That's the perception even if it's not the truth.

I won't add to this. Perception. That's it.

But it is normal on this board which is, in majority, read and fed by English-speaking posters.

Reactions: Deluded Puck

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
What? Don’t act like Danault never makes mistakes cause he makes plenty. Suzuki’s defensive game is very adequate, it’s one of his strengths. Enough with this nonsense that ONLY Danault could handle the first line, it’s absolute BS.

Overall:

Suzuki > Danault

How can we judge that now when the quality of competition is like nothing comparable between when Danault is one compared to Suzuki? I have no doubt that Nick will be there. But right now? Makes no sense to state the opposite.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
Casual fans, anglos or francos , don't give a ****. They want a winning team whatever the players are coming from. Koivu, Kovalev, Subban were all very much loved and respected, as well as the Drydens, Robinsons and Gaineys of the past.

Believe me i'm hoping we get the no1 pick this year. its what we need for so many reasons.

Jul 6, 2016
Believe me i'm hoping we get the no1 pick this year. its what we need for so many reasons.

I put no hope in that. But sometimes Habs had many opportunities in second, third or fourth rounds to draft good local players developed in the Q (whatever their birth places) , and they passed on. Too bad.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012

Agreed 1909....the history of the team always had a certain French-Canadian tradition. In 1909, le Club de Hockey Canadiens was founded to attract the French-Canadian hockey fan in the east side of the city and the rest of the french speaking province.
The Montreal Marroons...the english team was formed in 1924 and folded in 1938.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
I put no hope in that. But sometimes Habs had many opportunities in second, third or fourth rounds to draft good local players developed in the Q (whatever their birth places) , and they passed on. Too bad.

The Canadiens need to do a better job in scouting in their own back yard.
We mustn't let the next Patrice Bergeron or Samuel Girard just slip by us...

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
lol Sorry, but that was not the point. You said he was terrible. I replied that he was. You said...WHO SAID TATAR WAS TERRIBLE. I pointed that out to you. And your reply is...BUT HE IS......
I never said those players were terrible.
Looks pretty useless to talk to you on this subject since all you do is deny anything that is not around your argument.

Let's just stop this here.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
I remember how happy the Arena was when Louis Leblanc scored his 1st goal.

Jul 6, 2016
I remember how happy the Arena was when Louis Leblanc scored his 1st goal.

Leblanc was the wrong player at the wrong time. He was nothing special. Not a very good hockey player, not a great personnality. You could feel the ton of pressure on his shoulders when he was selected. Too bad the draft that year was in MTL. But, Habs had opportunities to draft Giroux (a Franco-Ontarian who played in Gatineau), Bergeron, and good anglo Q player like Marchand... but did not. Even Duclair or big tall Roy (with Vegas now) would have made sense.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
I'd rather do it this way:
Anaheim: 2nd line center behind Getzlaf
Arizona: 1st line center
Boston: 3rd line center behind Bergeron and Krejci
Buffalo: 2nd line center behind Eichel
Calgary: 2nd line center behind Monahan OR 3rd line center behind Lindholm and Monahan if they decide not to shift Lindholm to wing
Carolina: 2nd line center behind Aho
Chicago: 2nd line center behind Toews
Colorado: 2nd/3rd line center behind Mack and on the same level as Kadri
Columbus: 2nd line center behind PLD
Dallas: 2nd line center behind Seguin
Detroit: 2nd line center behind Larkin
Edmonton: 2nd/3rd line center behind McDavid and about the same level as RNH but I can understand if you would take RNH before Danault
Florida: 3rd line center behind Barkov and Trocheck
LA: 2nd line center behind Kopitar
Minnesota: 2nd line center behind Staal
Nashville: 3rd line center behind RyJo and Duchene
New Jersey: 2nd line center behind Hichier
NYI: 2nd/3rd line center behind Barzal and on the same level as Nelson
NYR: 2nd line center behind Zibanejad
Ottawa: 1st line center
Philly: 2nd line center behind Couturier
Pens: 3rd line center behind Crosby and Malkin
San Jose: 3rd line center behind Hertl and Couture
St.Louis: 2nd/3rd line center behind ROR and on same level as Schenn
Tampa: 2nd line center behind Point
Toronto: 3rd line center behind Matthews and Tavares
Vancouver: 3rd line center behind Horvat and Pettersson
Vegas: 2nd line center behind Karlsson
Washington: 3rd line center behind Backstrom and Kuzy
Winnipeg: 2nd line center behind Scheifele

So Danault is in the top 6 for 17 teams out of 30.

Danault is in contention in the top 6 for 5 teams out of 30.

Danault is not in the top 6 for 8 teams out of 30.

Even if you disagree with some of my player rankings, he is still in the top 6 for many teams. Philip Danault should not be a #1 center, but there is no issue having him in the top 6. Just because he doesn't make flashy plays doesn't mean he isn't a top 6 player.

You are right, if we see it that way he's definetly a top-6 in the NHL. You got me.

I still think he lacks passing ability and shooting. but you are right.

Reactions: The Great Weise

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
You are right, if we see it that way he's definetly a top-6 in the NHL. You got me.

I still think he lacks passing ability and shooting. but you are right.
He does lack shooting ability. Ideally, he'd be more of a dual threat. Passing ability though? It's clearly above average. Also, his puck handling seems to be improving every year.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
This is getting stranger by the minute....so first you say that I WANT to make it anglos vs francos....yet YOU say that the only reason Danault is getting 1st line minutes is because he is Québécois...are you for real right now? Weal is a veteran? That's why he's getting PP minutes? And when he is in the stands...is it because he becomes a rookie? Are you doing all that on purpose right now?
Danault isn't criticized for being Francophone, he is getting favorite treatment because he is one. We are criticizing the favoritism he is being shown. Big difference.

So again, if the Francophone player was qualified to be in the position he is in there would be no criticism. If the Anglophone player is in a position he is not supposed to be in, it would warrant criticism. The reasons why a player is getting favored are irrelevant, whether it is because they are Francophone, Anglophone, Russian, Finnish, etc...

Danault is getting 1st line minutes because we have NOTHING else. Kotkaniemi is CLEARLY not ready. Suzuki is going there but still just his 1st year in the NHL. The closest we have to a first line C right now is Domi and yet, the guy can't win faceoffs if his life depended on it. Danault is at 54% while Domi is at 46%. And he's not 2-way committed. And he takes stupid selfish penalties. That's why Danault is our No1 C. Because that's all we've got. Not because he speaks francais. Insane and insulting analysis. Hey maybe Nate Thompson should be our No1 C....at least he speaks the right language.....
Kotka did just fine last year, and putting him on the 4th line and giving him the Galchenyuk treatment will result in exactly what happened with Galchenyuk. He needs better ice time, linemates and development based on his POTENTIAL not his nationality. Domi needs to play on the wing and Kotka and Suzuki needs to be #1 & #2. The season is wasted, we have done nothing to help their development and if we plan on just using them like we are now, then send them back down and let them develop properly under someone that is willing to let them develop.

So this whole everyone is biased against Francophone players is in your head. You want to push that narrative because you are the one with the bias and want to prioritize Francophone players regardless of potential.

Reactions: Mrb1p

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Danault isn't criticized for being Francophone, he is getting favorite treatment because he is one. We are criticizing the favoritism he is being shown. Big difference.

So again, if the Francophone player was qualified to be in the position he is in there would be no criticism. If the Anglophone player is in a position he is not supposed to be in, it would warrant criticism. The reasons why a player is getting favored are irrelevant, whether it is because they are Francophone, Anglophone, Russian, Finnish, etc...

Kotka did just fine last year, and putting him on the 4th line and giving him the Galchenyuk treatment will result in exactly what happened with Galchenyuk. He needs better ice time, linemates and development based on his POTENTIAL not his nationality. Domi needs to play on the wing and Kotka and Suzuki needs to be #1 & #2. The season is wasted, we have done nothing to help their development and if we plan on just using them like we are now, then send them back down and let them develop properly under someone that is willing to let them develop.

So this whole everyone is biased against Francophone players is in your head. You want to push that narrative because you are the one with the bias and want to prioritize Francophone players regardless of potential.
he's not being treated better because he's francophone, seriously... that's stupid.

he's being played over KK and Suzie because the latter two are not ready -right now- to be Habs 1/2 punch down the middle, Julien does not care about the Habs future one bit, he coaches to win NOW.

Danault is also played over Domi cause Domi is disappointing, and since CJ tries to win NOW well...

Danault is also the closest thing to P. Bergeron the Habs have and we all know CJ would love to turn everyone of his forwards into mini Bergeron.

Hard to believe you're not bias given how much work it takes to twist the obvious into a language thing...

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Seriously, at this point only the crazies would care about language, motherf*** them. And f*** you Molson you piece of shit.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
More BS.... last year in 2019, Maxime Comtois who was playing as our #1 centre during the WJC...had a penalty shot during the OT shootout during a quarter final match against Finland...he didn't score and subsequently, he was wrongly vilified on social media.
If he was an anglophone from elsewhere in the country, there wouldn't have been such a negative and vile reaction...these bigoted reactions leave a bitter taste in my mouth.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
he's not being treated better because he's francophone, seriously... that's stupid.

he's being played over KK and Suzie because the latter two are not ready -right now- to be Habs 1/2 punch down the middle, Julien does not care about the Habs future one bit, he coaches to win NOW.

Danault is also played over Domi cause Domi is disappointing, and since CJ tries to win NOW well...

Danault is also the closest thing to P. Bergeron the Habs have and we all know CJ would love to turn everyone of his forwards into mini Bergeron.

Hard to believe you're not bias given how much work it takes to twist the obvious into a language thing...
I'm not an Anglophone or a Francophone, so I have no dog in this fight. So, no, I'm not biased one way or another. If we had a true #1 that is a Francophone, I would be cheering for him just as I would if Suzuki or Kotka were our #1. I only want what's best for this team and to see them competitive.

What's stupid is to have such a short memory and forget that we have a history of prioritizing playing and acquiring Francophone players because they are Francophone and little else. Suzuki should be our #1 and Kotka should be our #2, they both have shown capable, albeit inconsistent at times, of being #1 & #2 centers with higher upside than Danault.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I'm not an Anglophone or a Francophone, so I have no dog in this fight. So, no, I'm not biased one way or another. If we had a true #1 that is a Francophone, I would be cheering for him just as I would if Suzuki or Kotka were our #1. I only want what's best for this team and to see them competitive.

What's stupid is to have such a short memory and forget that we have a history of prioritizing playing and acquiring Francophone players because they are Francophone and little else. Suzuki should be our #1 and Kotka should be our #2, they both have shown capable, albeit inconsistent at times, of being #1 & #2 centers with higher upside than Danault.
that is not the case with Danault, in CJ's mind he's a fine #1D, his best chances at winning games NOW wich is the only thing CJ is interested in.

Chances are at least one of KK/Suzie becomes better than Danault is right now, that's what we're hoping and focus should be on developping them... xcept, CJ does not care about the future.

in THIS case, it has nothing to do with language, that is obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad