Player Discussion Phillip Danault - Damn-oh ! Edition

During this 2018/2019 season where should be playing Phillip Danault?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Danault doesn't have an explosive skillset but one thing I noticed the last 2 years when he was basically our top centre was that he never hindered his more talented linemates. He is able to keep up with creative, high level offensive play even if he doesn't initiate. He is able to follow the play, accept difficult passes, and move the puck along to skilled linemates who are open. Would it be nice to have an all-star centre there? Yes, but if you don't have them then a defensively responsible pivot who can keep up with, and not hinder your skilled wingers is the next best thing (cheaper too). Given his IQ ability to play top 6 offensive hockey, it's not crazy to think this is a genuine improvement in production derived from more experience gained at the NHL level (he's only 25), better ability to position himself and understanding of timing.

Reactions: Archijerej

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
I always compared him to Antoine Vermette who played with Victoriaville in the Q like Danault. I think Danault can have a couple of 50 pts season
Vermette is a good comp... but Danault's production 5vs5 is extremely impressive.. he could very well become a 70pts 2nd line center playing quality PP time. He produces more 5on5 than Vermette, Plekanec, Koivu, Kesler and a bunch of other 2nd line centers. I must admit, I'm impressed... he should really be getting more PP ice time. I mean, he has much less PP ice time than Agostino, Lekhonen, Byron, Hudon, Armia... it's a travesty. Really wonder why posters here don't rip their shirts off... (even Eller, who many posters here still believe was never given a fair chance had more PP minutes than Danault)

He has as many or more points ES than O'Reilly, Pettersson, Seguin, Pastrnak and Barkov... that's elite comps...

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He would be the perfect 3rd line center on a cup contender. He can step up into the top 6 if one of the centers ahead of him are injured.

Kotkaniemi will take over soon.

This is how I would try it now, and I like Danault:

Tatar Domi Byron
Drouin KK Gallagher
Lehkonen Danault Armia/Shaw

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
Turned it up lately, it's great to see.

He's the kind of guy you want on your 3rd line when you win the cup. Not because he can't be a good/decent 2nd line center, but because you need to have that kind of depth to be competitive. Especially since we don't have any superstar up front.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
When he was slumping bad earlier this year, I thought we were just seeing the same old Danault. But he's really turned it up a notch and established himself as a pillar on this team which IMO shows his character (I know, Bergy Buzzword Alert). He knows the C position in Montreal is about to become real crowded, and he wants to be part of the conversation.

He's certainly done that.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
He's been a reliable C that has cemented himself as a top 9C for many years. The only issue is if it degenerates to where a 20+ year old Kotkaniemi gets less ice-time than the reliable vet. I hope we learned some lessons from Galchenyuk and company.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
He's playing excellent hockey lately. Just needs to learn how to play off the rush... Always just coughs it up.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
He's been a reliable C that has cemented himself as a top 9C for many years. The only issue is if it degenerates to where a 20+ year old Kotkaniemi gets less ice-time than the reliable vet. I hope we learned some lessons from Galchenyuk and company.

Kotkaniemi is not a defensive sieve like Galchenyuk is/was. His coach will be confident that Kotkaniemi will handle the minutes responsibly and he should easily earn his TOI.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
32pts in 48 games, 53% faceoffs, +16

Impressive

no kidding. He's the SINGLE reason we can get the match-ups we want every now and then. That's an underrated part of his game, so is his scoring touch that's starting to develop and his 38 pts in 48 gp. top tier second line production. no PP time, +16.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Matched his goal total from last year in 4 fewer games, I think he'll finish somewhere around 15 goals and 35 assists for 50 points. That's solid for a two-way center that doesn't get much PP time

Reactions: Chr1s97

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Wait....Is Philip Danault on pace to hit 50 points this year? I know he's not our 3rd line centre at the moment, but if your 3rd line centre contributes 50 points each year with almost no power play time, you should be good to go. Oh he also leads the team in +/-. Phil you beautiful bastard!!

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
He really turned it around offensively. He’s a great player to have.

They need a legit 4th line C that can help alleviate some of those assignments that Phil takes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad