Speculation: Philip Danault part II

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Danault is sadly going to stay with the Habs - especially after Gallagher's comments from the other day. Domi will be the one out. :(

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
I can't see danault getting moved. He's not as good as mtl fans make him out to be, however he's much better than any uninformed habs basher makes him out to be. It wouldn't at all be a bad idea to keep him as a good 2 way 2c and possibly move suzuki or kk to the wing for a year to allow for a bit more offensive freedom.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
I can't see danault getting moved. He's not as good as mtl fans make him out to be, however he's much better than any uninformed habs basher makes him out to be. It wouldn't at all be a bad idea to keep him as a good 2 way 2c and possibly move suzuki or kk to the wing for a year to allow for a bit more offensive freedom.
Uh what? We have been looking for legit 1c and 2c for over 30 years and you want to put them on the wing? Sorry but thats just stupid. You develop them as centers so they work on there 200 ft game and face offs.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Uh what? We have been looking for legit 1c and 2c for over 30 years and you want to put them on the wing? Sorry but thats just stupid. You develop them as centers so they work on there 200 ft game and face offs.
One of them on the wing wouldn't be a bad idea. Have them play center for pp1 and 2. It also allows for danault to play 2c. I mean, if pohling can come to camp in shape and you have him on the 3rd line with danault, that's a decent luxury. It's fine to disagree, but a 2nd line of potentially gallagher, danault, kk/Suzuki sounds like a well rounded line with a ton of potential. My 2 cents anyways

Edit.
There's also the option to have either of them play a c/w swing position for strong side faceoffs, offensive v. Defensive zone faceoffs, and favorable matchups against the other teams shut down lines. This would in turn allow them to work on their 200 ft game (like you alluded to) while also giving them a shift by shift oppurtunity to allow for more offensive creativity.

Last edited:

Pietrangelo

Oct 26, 2015
Suzuki and KK have 10ish good games and Montreal is ready to jettison Danault? Suzuki I can see moving forward as a 1c for the time being, but I wouldn’t count KK in so soon.

Reactions: malcb33

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
Danault is sadly going to stay with the Habs - especially after Gallagher's comments from the other day. Domi will be the one out. :(
Pretty sure that Gally comment was twisted by some reporter to try to get it to read completely differently. The actual quote was just talking about how the young guys like KK and Suzuki are stepping up and how that's gonna weigh on his decision when it comes time to sign.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Suzuki and KK have 10ish good games and Montreal is ready to jettison Danault? Suzuki I can see moving forward as a 1c for the time being, but I wouldn’t count KK in so soon.

There's the usual overreaction to a couple good games but Danault went on record saying he doesn't want a defensive role. I'm not sure if he said that he was disapointed by his usage in the last few games but it was heavily implied (although he was the most or 2nd most used forward???).

With Domi able to play C, if the relationships are not too sour I don't mind trading Danault, he's gonna want to get paid and he's undeserving.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
love danault. I think he stays 2C until KK shows us more. I hope he can settle for a 3C if and when this happens. He wants offensive duties, but he is soooo good against the opposing 1st lines. him and lekhonen did wonders in the series vs pit

Reactions: McTusk and malcb33

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Suzuki was playing well all season. Kk on the other hand you are correct on.

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
All of this cause of the 4 pts Kotkaniemi got in 10 playoff games? Unless they get an offer they really can't refused, I don't see Montreal moving him. If anything, the kind of player that Danault is, is so underrated for a playoffs run.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Take this as you may... A close friend of mine who is well-acquainted with someone who has ties within the organization just confirmed to me that Bergevin is going all-in to acquire us a "big scoring winger" in the coming days. Danault+ is the likely sacrifice. Bergevin does not want to wait, as free agency nears.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I saw Suzuki struggle a bit towards the end, but yes you are right, he did play well for a lot of the season.

You would struggle too if you played with the wingers he had :laugh:. Suzuki and Kotkaniemi were not taken advantage of by either of Crosby/Malkin or Couturier/Hayes. These are 21 and 20 year old centers playing with fringe top 6 wingers. Think about that

I don't have them projected as 1C's but I do see them sharing 2C roles. They clearly have that ingredient of hungry to improve! We will see how they look in another year. It's encouraging so far.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Huh? Absolutely nothing you said makes sense! lol

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Take this as you may... A close friend of mine who is well-acquainted with someone who has ties within the organization just confirmed to me that Bergevin is going all-in to acquire us a "big scoring winger" in the coming days. Danault+ is the likely sacrifice. Bergevin does not want to wait, as free agency nears.
My guess is Laine or Mantha . May be a good time to sell high on Danault . Anyone know a good third line checking center ?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
My guess is Laine or Mantha . May be a good time to sell high on Danault . Anyone know a good third line checking center ?
Danault would be a minor part of a deal for Laine. He's a solid C, but he's not even being considered as a 2C for the Habs. Also, Danault is a UFA in a year, so whichever team acquires him is paying full retail price on his next contract, which starts when he's 28 years old.

Laine is an elite asset. The cost is way, way more than Danault.

Reactions: Snowman

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Danault would be a minor part of a deal for Laine. He's a solid C, but he's not even being considered as a 2C for the Habs. Also, Danault is a UFA in a year, so whichever team acquires him is paying full retail price on his next contract, which starts when he's 28 years old.

Laine is an elite asset. The cost is way, way more than Danault.
I never intended to give the impression it would be a one for one deal . Your way way more emphasis could be dialed back though . You see the league out side of Winnipeg seems to be unclear about what laine’s got going on between the ears . You know like is he a team player or selfish , is he sulky or just gives that impression ? Does he actually care if he wins or loses ?Couple that with the fact he has to be qualified I believe at about 8.5 million plus and it’s not all that rosy of a picture from our seats outside of the prairies .

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I never intended to give the impression it would be a one for one deal . Your way way more emphasis could be dialed back though . You see the league out side of Winnipeg seems to be unclear about what laine’s got going on between the ears . You know like is he a team player or selfish , is he sulky or just gives that impression ? Does he actually care if he wins or loses ?Couple that with the fact he has to be qualified I believe at about 8.5 million plus and it’s not all that rosy of a picture from our seats outside of the prairies .
Laine's qualifying offer is $7.5M, and he's an RFA for 3 more seasons. Thought you'd like to know.

Laine has been a model team player, according to his coaches. He likely wanted more top line minutes as a young player, which he got last season. But then again, Danault seems upset that he's not getting to play with better wingers or on the PP, so maybe he's the player with attitude problems.

If the point is to discuss a Habs trade for Laine, Danault isn't the place to start.

Reactions: Snowman

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Laine's qualifying offer is $7.5M, and he's an RFA for 3 more seasons. Thought you'd like to know.

Laine has been a model team player, according to his coaches. He likely wanted more top line minutes as a young player, which he got last season. But then again, Danault seems upset that he's not getting to play with better wingers or on the PP, so maybe he's the player with attitude problems.

If the point is to discuss a Habs trade for Laine, Danault isn't the place to start.
According to the coaches ? Do you expect the coaches to say he’s a selfish spoiled brat . That wouldn’t be very smart now would it .
It’ll be interesting to see if it is Danault being packaged for Laine . Somehow I don’t think the pluses will meet up to your expectations. Maybe will get a chance to review it .

Reactions: Runner77

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
According to the coaches ? Do you expect the coaches to say he’s a selfish spoiled brat . That wouldn’t be very smart now would it .
It’ll be interesting to see if it is Danault being packaged for Laine . Somehow I don’t think the pluses will meet up to your expectations. Maybe will get a chance to review it .
Given the discrepancies in ability, I would have to surmise another hot prospect or draft picks are being discussed in the talks. Big scoring wingers are costly and Winnipeg will want something damn good for the the future.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Whaaaat?!? You’re putting up that little piece of insider type rumor in here too? All this time I thought it was exclusive to the Habs forum. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad