Celebrity Death: Philip Baker Hall Dead at 90; Many TV Roles Included The Loop, Seinfeld

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Never heard of it until you posted this. I looked it up on IMDB, & I see it's one man recreation of Nixon trying to clear himself of any wrongdoing from Watergate. Seems like not too many people saw it & that's too bad if you say PBH gave a great performance. IMDB trivia basically states it launched his career...which is a very good thing.

Bottom line is Nixon was a GIANT POS & any film trying to sanitize his involvement with Watergate or trying to paint him in a sympathetic light was NEVER going to be successful in the 80s, or any decade honestly, for obvious reasons. Being the history buff I am, I will seek it out & watch it on you suggestion however.

I highly recommend it. That is what made me a fan of Hall, because the movie is very risky, but he made it interesting.

The movie is never about any sanitation. Although Hall as Nixon obviously tries to justify the actions of his entire career, he instead reveals the truth about himself, and it feels like a parody more than anything. In this day and age of increasing political hypocrisy around the world, it can be seen as rather relevant.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boris Zubov

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I highly recommend it. That is what made me a fan of Hall, because the movie is very risky, but he made it interesting.

The movie is never about any sanitation. Although Hall as Nixon obviously tries to justify the actions of his entire career, he instead reveals the truth about himself, and it feels like a parody more than anything. In this day and age of increasing political hypocrisy around the world, it can be seen as rather relevant.
Without getting too off topic, it's really sad that the political & social divide today has regressed sharply to where they're probably worse than Nixon's administration levels...if there was a way to accurately measure such things.

Political hypocrisy on the other hand just keeps on trucking along. No stopping that convoy. Sigh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad