Other Sports: Philadelphia Phillies: The Road To .500 (2024 Edition)

Tarpongg

#fakerebuild
May 26, 2012
Stupid. I’d rather roll Pache out there at a fraction of the cost, with some upside.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
It’s money you can’t spend on someone else. They’re now ~$15MM away from the tax line that matters.
Yeah this $8 mil I can confidently say isn't going to impact their other plans. If they're still in on other guys there's little to no chance that they're out now because of this.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Nah lower risk, higher reward than that. Not really moving the needle but this is a good signing for what it is. IDGAF about the dollars I'm not paying the guy
Harrison was a more productive hitter than Merrifield prior to joining the Phillies, over a three year stretch too...

Do I expect Merrifield to be Josh Harrison bad? No, that would be hard to do and he still offers value on the bases, but classifying a 35 year old, who is in steady decline, as high reward is a bit pie in the sky.

Also, it's really hard to go from being a full time player to part time player and produce against major league pitching. He doesn't even really have good splits against lefties so it's not like you can expect a great platoon in the OF.

He's injury/Rojas insurance.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Yeah this $8 mil I can confidently say isn't going to impact their other plans. If they're still in on other guys there's little to no chance that they're out now because of this.

I believe that you're confident. I'm not sure I believe that you're scoping the impact of exceeding the next threshold well.

If they're going to do that, it can't be for spare parts like this. This is the tier that has teeth.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Harrison was a more productive hitter than Merrifield prior to joining the Phillies, over a three year stretch too...

Do I expect Merrifield to be Josh Harrison bad? No, that would be hard to do and he still offers value on the bases, but classifying a 35 year old, who is in steady decline, as high reward is a bit pie in the sky.

Also, it's really hard to go from being a full time player to part time player and produce against major league pitching. He doesn't even really have good splits against lefties so it's not like you can expect a great platoon in the OF.

He's injury/Rojas insurance.
That's the biggest thing. He won't even platoon! What are we DOING

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
GMs seem to love Merrifield. Maybe if he doesn’t decline any further or find a regular spot on the team, the Phillies could flip him early? I’m probably coping too hard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad